It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
(male)

boy of misery HB User
Permanent damages?

I had been suffering from anorexia for years. My lowest weight was 99 lbs, and my height 5'8.

Should I expect permanent damages to the vital organs and endocrine system at that weight?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
Re: Permanent damages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy of misery View Post
I had been suffering from anorexia for years. My lowest weight was 99 lbs, and my height 5'8.

Should I expect permanent damages to the vital organs and endocrine system at that weight?
Damage yes, but it's hard to say what kind of permanent damage.

I had to have my gallbladder removed because I ate no fat and lost the weight very quickly. My gastric ulcer and acid reflux are also permanent.

Heart- -I can not do cardio because I have low blood pressure. My bones are getting arthritis and that's freaking me out! I don't want to get a bone scan because I am afraid to know.

Brain- I have anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts and that's still after I have been weight restored for two years.

If you talk to people with Ed's on-line you will notice that some break their paragraphs into smaller sections because it's hard to concentrate.

Probably not permanent: my nails still turn blue when it's cold, I get cold sweats at night, my metabolism has slowed down, digestive problems, hair falls out (this is after two years of being weight restored)

I remember when my gastro doctor said I had permanent damage. I walked out of the office so happy because that meant that I never had to try to recover. I was already damaged -what was the point? After that I relapsed and my health got worse.

It's been almost a year since the doc said it was permanent and it's been really hard to accept because there is so much guilt.

I really hope that you don't wait until you hear that there is damage to work on recovery. Have you been to the doctor?

The following user gives a hug of support to aileb:
Phoenix (05-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
(female)

coolleen7 HB User

I have to say that I have been recovered for several years and have done quite a bit of permanent damage. I really hope you can find recovery some day too, as you are much much smaller than I was (and I am your height)

I have deteriorated optic nerves; this means that they have an appearance similar to someone who has glaucoma. I am only 21 years old, and because no one in my family has that disease they decided that I probably don't have it. However the deteriorated optic nerves, if deteriorated further can cause blindness.

I also have anxiety, digestive issues, and consistently feel fatigued/ill.

I really hope that you can defeat your ed someday; I promise it's possible.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
(female)

coolleen7 HB User

I have to say that I have been recovered for several years and have done quite a bit of permanent damage. I really hope you can find recovery some day too, as you are much much smaller than I was (and I am your height)

I have deteriorated optic nerves; this means that they have an appearance similar to someone who has glaucoma. I am only 21 years old, and because no one in my family has that disease they decided that I probably don't have it. However the deteriorated optic nerves, if deteriorated further can cause blindness.

I also have anxiety, digestive issues, and consistently feel fatigued/ill.

I really hope that you can defeat your ed someday; I promise it's possible.

Closed Thread