It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
(female)

pollylolly HB User
Anorexia Recovery Meal Plan

I'm working on recovery from anorexia and I was wondering how many calories I should be eating each day. I'm a 22 year old female who is 5'2 and weighs 94lbs (up from 91lbs - BMI 16.7 one week ago, so I've made some progress!). I work fulltime at an office job, and do light exercise (walk around a bit - although not excessively, and in the last fortnight have started going to the gym 2-3 times a week where I do 30 minutes cardio so that I gain muscle in recovery and not just fat).

Based on this, how many calories should I be aiming to eat each day for recovery? And how much weight do I need to gain?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Anorexia Recovery Meal Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollylolly View Post
I'm working on recovery from anorexia and I was wondering how many calories I should be eating each day. I'm a 22 year old female who is 5'2 and weighs 94lbs (up from 91lbs - BMI 16.7 one week ago, so I've made some progress!). I work fulltime at an office job, and do light exercise (walk around a bit - although not excessively, and in the last fortnight have started going to the gym 2-3 times a week where I do 30 minutes cardio so that I gain muscle in recovery and not just fat).
Hello pollylolly,

Before going on a recovery meal plan,I would seek the advice of a nutritionist familiar with eating disorders.

You may also want to have a complete physical(bloodwork included) to see if your body may be deficient of certain vitamins,etc.

Please be sure that your body is first up to the task,before subjecting it to a change in caloric intake.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 06-13-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

jem10608 HB User

I'm not sure how severe your experiences with your ED were, but considering you were able to gain several pounds on your own, I would say you have not been completely lost to the disorder so well done! However, I thought I could recover and gain weight all on my own too, just by eating more. But it's not just a matter of gaining weight back, but repairing all the other damage you did to your body, and alot of damage can be done in a really short amount of time. I found this out when I got admitted to the hospital for anorexia and was diagnosed with osteoporosis as well. They also had to rebalance my electrolytes, put me on special multivitamins, and hormone replacement to get my period back. None of which i would have been able to do on my own. It is great that you have a good start for recovery but I would suggest seeing a doctor and nutritionist to evaluate your condition and give you the help and guidance you need, because it will be so much easier and you will be so much healthier in the long run!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
(female)

knegs HB User

My situation is very similar to yours, I have been struggling with an NOS ED for about 12 years now, I am 23 years old, I am also 5'2'', but weigh 101 lbs, recently up from 98 lbs.

I recently started working with a nutritionist, and she said that I should aim to eat about 2000 calories per day, following Canada's food guide for suggested servings of each food group, except I am supposed to have 5 fats/day and two high energy things, so like a chocolate bar or chips or ice cream or something like that.

She also said that I should not be exercising unless I am able to meet that food intake goal...

I highly recommend working with a professional if it's not too scary to share every detail of your eating habits with someone. I denied for years and years that I had any issues with food which made it a lot harder to really commit to changing my habits, and while it is still early in my recovery I am optimistic for the first time in a long time. Good luck and be well!

Reply Reply