It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

scp1981 HB User
Coming off anti-depressants for pregnancy

hello everyone,
I'm new here and was hoping someone could offer me advice. I have been in recovery from Bulimia for two years but have continued to take fluoxetine the whole time. They have worked wonders for me and I have never had any intention of coming off them until recently. My doctor told me that I will have to come off them fairly soon as I plan to start trying for a baby in the next year or so. I have been told to decrease to 40mg a day but I have been having problems. Within 3 weeks of decreasing, I have had massive urges to binge in a way I haven't experience for over two years (before I increased my dose to 60mg). This has made me very anxious. I have lost a stone since my recovery and am at last healthy and happy. I am terrified of going back to my bulimic lifestyle but the urges I am getting to eat non stop are uncontrolable. I really want a child and don't want to put a pregnancy in danger, but I also can't continue on this lower dose of medication. Has anyone else experinced this or have any advice?
Thank you for reading

please note, I only take fluoxetine for bulima and not for depression. I feel fine in myself :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Coming off anti-depressants for pregnancy

Hello scp1981

I would discuss your concerns with your primary care physician,as the decreased dosage is beginning to effect you negatively.The longer you wait the worse off things could potentially get.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 06-18-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
(female)

scp1981 HB User
Re: Coming off anti-depressants for pregnancy

Thank you for you reply. I think you are right - best to get things sorted asap x

Closed Thread