It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
(female)

balletbabexx HB User
eating disorder

I am 15 and I constintly feel fat, latley I gone days with out eating as I feel guilty when I eat. I not sure that I have an eating disorder, but I think I might be develiping one. Some day I can eat like nothing wrong but then other I cant even forse myself to eat.My friends and family all say I am in good shape and look healthy ,but everytime I look in the mirror I just see myself as fat. Can anyone help me I just don't know what to do.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: eating disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletbabexx View Post
I am 15 and I constintly feel fat, latley I gone days with out eating as I feel guilty when I eat. I not sure that I have an eating disorder, but I think I might be develiping one. Some day I can eat like nothing wrong but then other I cant even forse myself to eat.My friends and family all say I am in good shape and look healthy ,but everytime I look in the mirror I just see myself as fat. Can anyone help me I just don't know what to do.
Hello balletbabexx

I see a wonderful person who deserves respect.

Before things get out of hand,I would look into seeing a therapist,who may or may not suggest medicinal therapy in conjunction with one-on-one interaction.

Respectfully
Phoenix

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
balletbabexx (07-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB User
Smile Re: eating disorder

It sounds as though you'd benefit from some professional help. You'll need to get a parent on board, though. If they aren't taking you seriously, you may want to talk to another adult you know and whom you trust. They would probably be able to help you approach your family about your concerns.

I had an eating disorder when I was younger and it went on for 11 years because I didn't get the help I needed early on. The effects of an eating disorder aren't just hard on a person's physical body, they are pretty devistating to a person's social life. My family stuck through it with me but it was pretty devistating emotionally for them as the disorder progressively got worse and worse. But the whole friendship thing...there's nothing like a good eating disorder to show you who your friends really are. But I don't suggest having an eating disorder just to find out. It's heart breaking when you find out that even your best friend of forever can't handle walking with you through some of your most darkest times with an eating disorder. If I knew how much my eating disorder was going to tear apart my entire world, I would have gotten help really really early on and I wouldn't have let anyone or anything get in my way of getting help.

So, from my own hindsight, please, go get help for yourself. Eating disorders and body image issues aren't fun. Besides, wouldn't it just be great to go out for an ice cream or a hamburger with some friends and not worry about how fat you're going to get from it, or how many calories you just consumed? Wouldn't it be nice to filter the energy from all that worrying into something a lot more fun and interesting and happy? You can get there, it's just a matter of reaching out, letting someone help you discover and tackle the reasons behind the body image issues. It's possible to find your way through it and still stay fit and healthy.

The Following User Says Thank You to jenga890 For This Useful Post:
balletbabexx (07-06-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
(female)

helives HB Userhelives HB User
Smile Re: eating disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletbabexx View Post
I wish someone had told me that however happy you think loosing weight will make you, it will only do the EXTREME opposite. To begin with, when I stopped eating properly it felt like the best thing in the world and I had a new found confidence. However it soon became living hell. Not eating properly and skipping meals doesn't just do your body bad but it will start messing with your mind too which only fuels the situation, leading you further and further into despair. Underweight people are very unhappy and ultimately, they only have to work themselves back to where they started in order to be safe again and they are back where they started, plus the damage they've done their body along they way. If you're unhappy with your body, remeber that everyone else is too busy looking at their own body to think anything bad of yours! If you feel you would like to tone up a little, ask someone close to you like your mum to help you start a new healthy eating regime. That way you can still choose to eat what you like and stay hapy and healthy. I remeber when I began skipping meals it felt so much easier and more effective than merely "eating healthily" but now I can see how wrong I was, only setting myself up for getting caught in a trap that is proving a LOOOOOONG time to escape from. And the scary thing is I know that a year on, it was that first very meal that I decided to skip that has taken a year of my life away already! Hope you get yourself sorted! And keep smiling

The following user gives a hug of support to helives:
Phoenix (07-06-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to helives For This Useful Post:
balletbabexx (07-06-2012), jenga890 (06-29-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
(female)

balletbabexx HB User

thank u all for the replies they r really help fully but i really cant bring myself to get professional help. I have been eating a bit more and trying to consume 3 meals a day. even though doesn't always happen. I been able to eat snacks with out feeling bad and hopefully it will stay like that . this might just be a faze but i dk because i experienced the same thing a year ago.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello beachlove12

I get it;all the stigmata with therapy and all.
Well,I go to therapy and it's because i'm being responsible.
People with broken bones go to hospitals,don't they?
So why be ashamed of doing what millions of us are?
If you still feel the same way,I respect that too.

I had to give it a shot;you're worth it and i'd do it again and again,until you got tired of me and just said:"sheesh,i'll go."
I'm hoping that persistence will overcome resistance.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 07-08-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
(female)

beachlove12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenga890 View Post
It sounds as though you'd benefit from some professional help. You'll need to get a parent on board, though. If they aren't taking you seriously, you may want to talk to another adult you know and whom you trust. They would probably be able to help you approach your family about your concerns.

I had an eating disorder when I was younger and it went on for 11 years because I didn't get the help I needed early on. The effects of an eating disorder aren't just hard on a person's physical body, they are pretty devistating to a person's social life. My family stuck through it with me but it was pretty devistating emotionally for them as the disorder progressively got worse and worse. But the whole friendship thing...there's nothing like a good eating disorder to show you who your friends really are. But I don't suggest having an eating disorder just to find out. It's heart breaking when you find out that even your best friend of forever can't handle walking with you Hi through some of your most darkest times with an eating disorder. If I knew how much my eating disorder was going to tear apart my entire world, I would have gotten help really really early on and I wouldn't have let anyone or anything get in my way of getting help.

So, from my own hindsight, please, go get help for yourself. Eating disorders and body image issues aren't fun. Besides, wouldn't it just be great to go out for an ice cream or a hamburger with some friends and not worry about how fat you're going to get from it, or how many calories you just consumed? Wouldn't it be nice to filter the energy from all that worrying into something a lot more fun and interesting and happy? You can get there, it's just a matter of reaching out, letting someone help you discover and tackle the reasons behind the body image issues. It's possible to find your way through it and still stay fit and healthy.
Hi jenga890, well done for being able to recover from anorexia! Can I please ask how you recovered? I am in therapy from anorexia and even though I've gained weight back, my anorexic mind is still as bad as it was when I was at my lightest. Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to beachlove12:
jenga890 (07-08-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB User
Thumbs up Re: eating disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlove12 View Post
Hi jenga890, well done for being able to recover from anorexia! Can I please ask how you recovered? I am in therapy from anorexia and even though I've gained weight back, my anorexic mind is still as bad as it was when I was at my lightest. Thanks!
Hi Beachlove, I actually went and did a hypnotherapy session alongside my regular psychotherapy. For me, the hypnosis was like hitting a lightswitch. It did something profound the first and only visit I had during my eating disorder recovery period. And then within 6 months of that hypnosis appointment I finally discontinued psychotherapy because I had improved to the point where I and my therapist were pretty sure I was doing a million times better.

Prior to the hypnotherapy, I had been in psychotherapy for 6 years with some improvement but definitely not enough to be certain I was through the woods with the eating disorder, so to speak.

It seems to me that hypnosis can be pretty powerful. I didnt even feel much during hypnotherapy. It was like I was really mentally relaxed but I didn't feel like I was "under", if you know what I mean. I felt fully in control and I felt like I was still aware of everything going on around me. The only thing that felt different was that I just felt super relaxed. So it was amazing to me that it actually did something profound for me as it did.

I've gone back again and again to do more hypnosis for other non-eating disorder issues that have come up for me since that time in my life, and it really is something I do love for addressing most any problem. What I can tell you prior to seeking out hypnosis is that there are two distinct methodologies a hypnotherapist might use. The first one is where someone is making suggestions to your subconscious mind for the duration that you are hypnotized. The second kind is where the therapist helps direct you in the exploration of your own subconscious. And during these types of sessions they ask you to come up with images or ask you to dialogue with parts of yourself. They are kind of helping direct you during the session but there's a lot of communication back and forth between you and the therapist during the session. This latter type of hypnosis is what I used and which helped me overcome my eating disorder and it is the kind of hypnotherapy I prefer, personally. I'm just a very analytical type, though, and I love exploring, so I'd rather do the exploring rather than just sitting back while someone talks at me for an hour, making good, positive suggestions to my relaxed mind. That's a personal preference. Either one of these methods has it's usefulness and does a great job at helping, though. So if you try hypnosis, maybe try a session of either method and see which kind you like best. Ask the hypnotherapist how the hypnosis session works, first, and you'll be able to find out which type they do just by how they describe their typical session to you.

I had been drawn to hypnosis for a while during my eating disorder, but neglected to go for so long because I was still living under my parents roof, and dependent on them for all my healthcare needs early on in the eating disorder and they were very religious. I feared they would not support the idea of hypnosis. I was even a little fearful of it myself. But there's def nothing to worry about in that regard. It's nothing antireligious by any means. At least god hasn't smited me yet. Haha.

Best of luck!

Last edited by jenga890; 07-08-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Reply Reply