HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Eating Disorder Recovery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/eating-disorder-recovery/)
-   -   Faintness spells, even after recovering from anorexia? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/eating-disorder-recovery/906437-faintness-spells-even-after-recovering-anorexia.html)

Free03 06-24-2012 09:00 AM

Faintness spells, even after recovering from anorexia?

I am 20 years old, and have recovered from anorexia. I was anorexic a year ago and it lasted for almost 8 months. I had a few faintness spells, where I would begin to black out, and feel extremely light-headed and weak, but NEVER actually passed out. I went to ER a few times because of this, but all of my blood work came out normal. Now, fully recovered, and at a healthy weight, I still have these faintness feelings. I never black out, but i feel very light headed and weak, and nervous. Then I think to myself that I may have a health problem because of my anorexic past, and it makes the spell worse. I wonder if it is anxiety, as I have a history of it. But I want to see if anyone else has felt this way after recovering, and if they found out what it was from?

thanks

helives 06-27-2012 12:38 PM

Re: Faintness spells, even after recovering from anorexia?

I am still recovering and still underweight but I too get these sensations. Does it happen when you stand up after having been sat down for a while or are they out of the blue? Also, whilst my eating disorder (not otherwise diagnosed) was at its worst I too began to have panick/anxiety attacks. In these I became very tearful and my breathing wheazy. I don't know if either of these things are relevant to you but if they are then yes your body may still be resetting itself. I would see a doctor just to check that there's not something wrong. Remeber that people who havn't suffered eating disorders also get light headed occassionally too so it may be something personal to you totally un-anorexic related

hope i helped

beachlove12 07-20-2012 03:53 AM

Re: Faintness spells, even after recovering from anorexia?

[QUOTE=Free03;5005718]I am 20 years old, and have recovered from anorexia. I was anorexic a year ago and it lasted for almost 8 months. I had a few faintness spells, where I would begin to black out, and feel extremely light-headed and weak, but NEVER actually passed out. I went to ER a few times because of this, but all of my blood work came out normal. Now, fully recovered, and at a healthy weight, I still have these faintness feelings. I never black out, but i feel very light headed and weak, and nervous. Then I think to myself that I may have a health problem because of my anorexic past, and it makes the spell worse. I wonder if it is anxiety, as I have a history of it. But I want to see if anyone else has felt this way after recovering, and if they found out what it was from?

thanks[/QUOTE]

@Free03,
I am in a similar situation as you - I'm 22 years old and am in therapy for anroexia and depression. But even though I'm regained the majority of my weight back, I constantly feel weak, lethargic, tired, dizzy and/or lightheaded. My parents believe it is due to not eating enough and my GP agrees with this. What do you believe yours is due to?