It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
(female)

tak HB User
Health restoration and remaining problems...

Hi all,

It's hard for me to find answers to these questions, despite having stuck with recovery for an extended period of time/tried everything:

1.) Is it normal to get so fatigued after eating that you have breathing difficulty? I had never experienced this prior to hospitalization, but despite having been "health restored" for two years straight, problems remained.

- It's not every time, but it's happened after different types of meals, so it's not the type of food, and different sizes, so it's not that.

- I thought it was heartburn for a while but it almost feels similar to exercise-induced asthma? I've never had asthma but I also have shallow breaths during exercise, tight chest, etc. which has occasionally lasted after the exercise.

- I don't think it's from anxiety.

---

2.) Did anyone else with osteoporosis/osteopenia experience back problems after stable weight restoration? That's another thing I'm annoyed about because a bit over a year into treatment, I wound up in the ER very sudden for what they termed herniated disks in lumbar back region. It luckily got better but is still not the same as pre-anorexia.

- It's weird because it happened out of nowhere, was not exercise-induced, if anything thought had to do with hospital bed or couches or lack of exercise at treatment.

---

Then the dizziness...was told my glucose was low, remember feeling SO DIZZY after I started meal plan at 2nd treatment center. This treatment center served more food than the hospital, more carbs. Anyway was told "it's your eating disorder," but never adjusted. Was on that meal plan for almost a year and even at the end, it still felt like too much (I think it really was a bit high).

So now I'm out, been home for a few months, struggling with recovery.

Sorry for all the disorganized questions. Just wondering if anyone can relate. Remaining problems after health restoration? Are they common? Did I screw anything up permanently?

Don't have diabetes...still convinced it was a spike in blood sugar at the center from higher portions than I've ever had in my life (even pre-illness). It wasn't insanely high but it was always about two thirds of the way into the meal, especially breakfast.

The thing was I never felt recovered even physically. If anything I felt worse physically, too, there (compared to now, but I'm not anorexic right now, just restrictive...not too bad, but not good enough to be labeled symptom-free).

Thanks. Mostly wondering about the breathing thing, if anyone has any info. on how long it takes/how to get things back to normal/if they even go back to normal, it's been forever and I've really stuck with this and tried and I know the mental part takes a while to heal, but I'm just trying to find myself again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply