It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
(female)

Milkwrapper HB User
Smile Seeking Advice

Hello, all,
I was wondering if anyone could offer up some advice. My best friend (age 29) is being discharged from Renfrew Center in Philly next week. I am extremely excited that she will be coming back from treatment. She has struggled with bulimia since her teens. However, I am also very nervous. I am looking for tips on how I can help her, and how to make it easier for her to transition from being in an inpatient environment to being back at home. I am a central part of her support system and one of the very few who supported her going to Renfrew, and I want to be able to help rather than accidentally undo all the hard work that she has done in the past 45 days. Any advice on how you have been helped by friends or what you wish a friend would have/could have done for you would be much appreciated. I would do literally anything to help her.
Thank you so much,
Milkwrapper

The following user gives a hug of support to Milkwrapper:
Phoenix (07-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Seeking Advice

I think at first I would just ask in an interested way how her time at clinic went and how she is feeling now. I would plan something fun to do together and if that includes eating, just observe what she does without comment. I would play it low key, interested and supportive but not hovering, pushy, coaxing or talking about it all the time. Just try to treat her like a normal friend, and see what changes you observe. It is perhaps best the first time she eats out to eat in your home, or a small private setting where she won't feel "on display" or self concious. Perhaps just appetizers or something small, not a place that serves huge portions where she might feel overwhelmed, turned off, and sick to see too much food on her plate. If she has gained some weight, you might offer to go shopping with her for a new outfit. That would be fun and rewarding for her new self image.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
Milkwrapper (07-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Seeking Advice

Hello Milkwrapper and welcome

What she'll need more than anything else is that friend that was there before she went into Renfrew.
You don't want to treat her with "kid gloves" or she'll sense somethings different.
Trust me,she's learned a lot about triggers,foods to avoid,when to say no or know that enough is enough.

What you're getting is a better educated friend who now knows more about her eating disorder than she ever did before.
Be proud for her(I don't know why but I envision heartfelt tears) as she now has to acclimate to the same familiar surroundings.

Realize also that there's a plethora of information on this site for you to view at your convenience.Many helpful threads and posts to help you feel more at ease with it all.

I hope this helps;truly
Phoenix

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Milkwrapper (07-08-2012), Pacifier (08-29-2012)
Reply Reply