It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

richag2112 HB User
Bulimia and sinus issues?

Hi. I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this has already been asked and answered. I have been bulimic on and off for almost 30 years. I am about to seek treatment (again) but had a question regarding sinus issues. I have been having a lot of congestion and facial pain, and I know that purging causes a lot of pressure, but I'm wondering if this can cause sinusitis? I have another ENT appt on Tuesday, but I'm wondering if he will be able to help if this is the cause. I cannot breathe out of the right side of my nose and it is driving me crazy. If this is caused by the purging, will simply stopping bring things back to normal? I've had catscans and everything, and been tested for allergies but the doctors keep saying my sinuses are fine. It is just so bad, and I am trying to find some sort of relief before I end up losing my job due to the headaches and constant discomfort and pain. Thanks in advance to anyone that has any input.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
Re: Bulimia and sinus issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richag2112 View Post
Hi. I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this has already been asked and answered. I have been bulimic on and off for almost 30 years. I am about to seek treatment (again) but had a question regarding sinus issues. I have been having a lot of congestion and facial pain, and I know that purging causes a lot of pressure, but I'm wondering if this can cause sinusitis? I have another ENT appt on Tuesday, but I'm wondering if he will be able to help if this is the cause. I cannot breathe out of the right side of my nose and it is driving me crazy. If this is caused by the purging, will simply stopping bring things back to normal? I've had catscans and everything, and been tested for allergies but the doctors keep saying my sinuses are fine. It is just so bad, and I am trying to find some sort of relief before I end up losing my job due to the headaches and constant discomfort and pain. Thanks in advance to anyone that has any input.
hi and welcome!

I was only bulimic on and off for 6 years and I didn't experience problems with sinus issues. I would occasionally get a bloody nose.

If the problem is due to bulimia, it's going to be hard to guess how long it will take to improve. Some of the health problems and symptoms take so long (years) to show improvement.

Does the ENT know about your bulimia? Do you think you will be able to ask? I hope you keep updating and good luck on your appointment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
(female)

richag2112 HB User

Hi. He doesn't know. I was going to tell him today. And now along with my issues my boss has set up a meeting for today at the same time I'm supposed to go to the appt. I'll have to figure out a way to get out of it,but it will be difficult because the meeting is about an issue I am having. Ugh. When it rains it pours. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
(female)

melinasw HB Usermelinasw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richag2112 View Post
I would say, this is most likely. have you gone without binging and purging or without purging for a long enough time to notice a difference? This is what I would try before spending a lot of money on doctors.
I have had similar symptoms myself off and on over the years and when my bulimic symptoms go away, so do my sinus problems. Think about it. Think about what happens when you purge... Its not just pressure that gets in you sinuses, food bits and acid also get in your sinuses and that can cause damage. But like everything else if you stop doing it over time your body will heal that up and you'll probably be fine.
Honestly when you think about what happens when you purge and your doctors say you have normal sinuses, and the only thing no normal is your own bulimia throwing off your homeostasis, do you really even need to ask? I dont mean that in a rude way. But you dont need a doctor who doesnt know that you have abnormal behaviors to tell you that you are fine, run tests on you to try to find a bogus name for a disease that you probably dont have, and go with some treatment that doesnt even treat the cause when we all know that 30 yrs of blowing acidic particles through your sinus cavities with the force of your whole body will mess up your sinuses. but sinus tissue regenerates quickly so after a few months to a year of not purging your sinuses will most likley push out whatever has caused bacterial issues in there and grow back healthy.

Reply Reply