It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
(male)

crawler HB User
Girlfriend purging

My girlfriend has anorexia, although (as she said herself) she finds herself more as a person with anorexic tendencies. She eats "healthy and well" when she is around me, so things start going rather bad when we are apart, which is a problem since we live in different states. Anyway, recently I realized that she purges at least once a day. I'm wondering how I can confront her about this (not in an aggressive, "submit to control" stance), but just talk to her about it and maybe talk her out of it? She says that there is no reason for worries, but I know that purging can be bad, especially if it's extensive and continual. Also, what is the point when the purging becomes really critical? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
(male)

Echo2012 HB User
Re: Girlfriend purging

Hey, speaking form a person who was in a relationship with someone with an eating disorder and also who had a friend with a disorder. Eating disorders are a hidden thing by the person with disorder. The fact that she has let you know and is open about it is a big thing. Her saying no reasons to worry……im sorry there are big reasons to worry. From my experience, the professional advice I got and research I made you need to get her to therapy. There are deeper issues that need to be dealt with and as much as you want to help her solve this your probably not going to be able to, you trying to talk her out of it, probably will not happen either. She needs professional help.

That is not to say you can’t be a support and help her that way but in terms of you sorting the issue out its more than likely not going to happen. If you are going to talk to her I would recommend just being honest with her, that you are worried about this and then ask her would she consider therapy. If she says yea great if she says no then you have a bigger problem. I wish you luck in it, also if you are going to be involved with her and try and help her I would recommend getting someone to advise you…preferably professional, you have no idea the stress and strain this will bring into your life and how the things you say and do can affect and also the complicated nature of these issues that you will have zero understanding towards. so my advice would be get professional guidance. Good luck with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply