It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
(female)

raishi HB User
Reached a healthier weight, but not sure how to proceed...

Hi!
I'm a 5'6" 23 year old female whose been dealing with an eating disorder/recovering from an eating disorder of sorts for around 3+ years now. I've gained up to a BMI of around 20, and I'm just not sure how I should be proceeding from here.

[[Details:]]
I went on a backpacking trip in which I lost a significant amount of weight in a month, and it was kind of a downward spiral from there. I always ate three meals a day, but counted calories religiously, and overexercised, and ultimately I think I just created a daily calorie deficit that led me to drop to a BMI of 16.1 in two years.

This doesn't seem very extreme compared to many people with more serious eating disorders, but I found myself with dealing with amenorrhea, hair loss, vaginal atrophy, no libido, low estrogen, insulin resistance, constantly cold, blue lips, fingertips and toes in even moderately chilly weather, (all sorts of fun! :b) and I decided I'd had enough.

I gained to around BMI 18 last year, and have gained up to around BMI 19~20 until a few weeks ago.
I've been on bio-identical estradiol and progesterone to try "give my body a push" in order to get my period back.
A recent cholesterol test (my first...) revealed elevated cholesterol levels, and my doctor suggested I "liberate" my eating (I eat Paleo/Primal, and exercise regularly) to see if I could gain more, because high cholesterol is common in anorexics.

So, as of about a week ago, I've been increasing my daily calorie intake significantly, and reduced my exercise to light walking.

I guess I'm just wondering... Does it sound like I'm on the right track?
Does it sound like I even need to be eating this many calories and working to gain this much right now?
It just feels like I'm making myself do it at this point, whether I'm hungry or not, and don't know if it's even necessary.
I look and feel healthy at this weight, but my cholesterol/estrogen/lack of period suggest that my body is still not recovered...?

I've been working on this alone, and just don't know if what I'm doing is right, or how I should proceed anymore...

I'm sorry that this is so long. Thank you so much if you took the time to read. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by raishi; 09-06-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
amenorrhea, estrogen, high cholesterol, recovery, weight gain