It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
(female)

dogcito HB Userdogcito HB User
Wink Re: therapy/counselling. My point of view only!

Hi again
I want to be clear that therapy can be useful for the emotional side of bulimia . You have to choose a therapist you feel comfortable with. The problem I found with therapists is that some seem to think that EVERYTHING is in the mind!! However, I think I have a physical predisposition to addiction too. I think people with bulimia/addictions are more sensitive than 'normal'' people, things bother us more but we also have sensitive bodies. We're not tough enough in a sense.why you

Anyway, I don't think the reasons why you have the disease is too important. though it helps to have a level of self-awareness.The important thing is to find out practically how to stop being sick.

Take care all.

The following user gives a hug of support to dogcito:
Phoenix (09-17-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
(female)

Stigma HB User
Re: therapy/counselling. My point of view only!

Very well said! I don't know about the physical component of addictions, but I actually think that from the mental side, the point of view that "pampers" those with ED's and tells them it's not their fault or that they are "powerless" over what they're doing is BS. I've been trying to recover by various attempts to adopt that view for 12 years now to no avail. It's just one of those things that does not reason with me. You're right - we're not as tough as the rest and are overly sensitive and you're also right about that not even being a point and having endless talks about how, when, why, etc. the ED occurred but actually figuring out how to specifically stop the most destructive ED behaviours, if nothing. I feel I could achieve that if maybe I had a "coach" or a "guardian angel" next to me 24/7 who could stop me when I'm at my weakest... Having said that, I can understand how therapy is helpful to an extent and I would never advocate that other ED sufferers out there abandon it, just because it doesn't make sense to me per se. Everyone needs to find their own way..

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Stigma
dogcito (09-15-2012), Phoenix (09-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
(female)

someofusrbrave HB User

I think a lot of folks are repressing trauma, which is why folks get sick. I think not enough therapists are sensitive to the possibility of this and push us to find reasons like 'well my mother didn't eat dessert once at dinner so THEREFORE'....
The truth is though that I think there's always a deeper meaning behind e.d.-just as I think that deeper meaning is not necessarily something we benefit by sharing w a therapist.
Any healthy relationship is built on trust and I think not a lot of therapists are great at cultivating that in others.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #4
(female)

someofusrbrave HB User

I think a lot of folks are repressing trauma, which is why folks get sick. I think not enough therapists are sensitive to the possibility of this and push us to find reasons like 'well my mother didn't eat dessert once at dinner so THEREFORE'....
The truth is though that I think there's always a deeper meaning behind e.d.-just as I think that deeper meaning is not necessarily something we benefit by sharing w a therapist.
Any healthy relationship is built on trust and I think not a lot of therapists are great at being trustworthy-they ask probing questions, volunteer too much or too little relevant information about themselves, they push us to do stuff that we don't want to do for reasons that make perfect sense to our minds. Yeah, these reasons make sense because our beliefs are insane HOWEVER it is up to us to release these beliefs in our own time in our own way and NOT because somebody outside of ourselves has decided they "know what's best for us."
I think folks mostly get eating disorders because we are NOT being listened to re: what's best for us thus anyone trying to rob us of more of our sense of our own competence to control our own lives and of our power is not helpful.

Reply Reply