It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

hodie HB User
am i becoming anorexic?

Hey, I am a teen and my friends say that I am very skinny, I am 165cm and weigh 43kg. I used to love food and ate as much as I wanted and never got fatter however in the past few months I have been weighing myself everyday, keeping track of my calorie count and stopped eating inbetween meals (but I still eat). I eat about 700-900 calories a day and I also do a lot of exercise as I am a cross country runner and have training 3 times a week. My period has not stopped but now it only lasts 2 days instead of 7. My hair is starting to fall out but not a lot however it does scare me. I am trying not to gain weight but I am unsure why and I do know that I am skinny. I don't talk to my parents about this and I do no want them to find out. I don't mind to see a doctor but will i be able to do it without anyone finding out as i am a teen? Am I becoming anorexic? Pls help :s

Last edited by mod85; 10-24-2012 at 09:43 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to hodie:
Hodathegreat (10-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to hodie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
(female)

helives HB Userhelives HB User
Smile Re: am i becoming anorexic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodie View Post
Hey, I am a teen and my friends say that I am very skinny, I am 165cm and weigh 43kg. I used to love food and ate as much as I wanted and never got fatter however in the past few months I have been weighing myself everyday, keeping track of my calorie count and stopped eating inbetween meals (but I still eat). I eat about 700-900 calories a day and I also do a lot of exercise as I am a cross country runner and have training 3 times a week. My period has not stopped but now it only lasts 2 days instead of 7. My hair is starting to fall out but not a lot however it does scare me. I am trying not to gain weight but I am unsure why and I do know that I am skinny. I don't talk to my parents about this and I do no want them to find out. I don't mind to see a doctor but will i be able to do it without anyone finding out as i am a teen? Am I becoming anorexic? Pls help :s
It sounds as if you've caught onto yourself which is a good thing. However it does sound like you need some help and from my experience, this is the most crucial time where you begin to spiral into more and more stress caused by your eating disorder. I realised things were wrong a while before I did anything to solve them and the effects were painfully stressful for myself. Therefore it would be the best idea for you to speak to someone as soon as. It feels good once you're not fighting an eating disorder alone. Do you have a school nurse? They don't tell your parents by default usually if you dont want them to. Or another teacher at school? You may feel you want to tell a friend or family member which could help too , but personally I always felt more helpless after talking to anyone who didn't know about eating disorders because all they tell you is that 'your body needs food' or the classic ' a car doesn't run without fuel' (my personal least favourite of the standard phrases!) Sometimes just talking about it can lighten the intensity of anorexia. Now you've noticed the clear issues you have, try not to get stuck in the trap of trying to 'prove' to yourself just 'how anorexic' you are. I would say this is what I did partly as a plea to get people to see the extent of how awful I felt inside. The truth is that people will want to help you whatever your circumstances. So yes, try and talk about it as soon as possible and if the first person doesn't understand, do not despair, find someone else, or continue seeking online encouragement for us fellow strugglers Much love

The Following User Says Thank You to helives For This Useful Post:
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
(female)

Hodathegreat HB User
Re: am i becoming anorexic?

I spoke to my friend about it who is anorexic but then she started saying that I was doing it *** for attention. I find it hard to talk to people about it and I don't have the guts to see a doctor on my own.

Last edited by Hodathegreat; 10-25-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
(female)

helives HB Userhelives HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodathegreat View Post
I spoke to my friend about it who is anorexic but then she started saying that I was doing it *** for attention. I find it hard to talk to people about it and I don't have the guts to see a doctor on my own.
I am exactly the same! In fact, I was sent to my school nurse about it (I attend a vocational dance school so weight is a carefully monitored thing) and it was moths before my parents found out and it wasnt through me becuase I couldn't bringmyself to tell them. I think I'd say you'd be surprised at how different it feels for your parents to know than you'd expect. I thought it would be absoluely terrifying and humiliating but it actually felt like quite a relief. Would you find it easier for someone else to say it for you? I chose this method several times by having a friend come with me to see teachers/ and the school nurse to do the talking for me! :P That way the truth could just be said rather than me hesitating to say anything out of shyness and embarassment.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
(female)

Hodathegreat HB User

Yh I do prefer it if someone would tell my parents but I am also scared about there reaction because I don't really have a good relationship with my family.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
(female)

hodie HB User

Only my friends who think that I am doing it for attention, but does it mean that I am becoming anorexic? Because I am a runner and they won't let me carry on I they find out.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User

eating disorders ARE not about weight.

the things you mentioned are considered disordered eating patterns, but anorexia is so much more than that. Anorexia and other eating disorders also included disordered thoughts.

My suggestion is to NOT try to diagnose yourself. Talk to doctor, school nurse or someone who can give you a screening or inventory and get a proper diagnosis.

hugs

Reply Reply