It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
(female)

magdaaxo HB User
18 year old girl with weight issues... need advice

I am a 6'2" and I currently weigh about 156 pounds. I've lost almost nine pounds. Is 1700-1800 calories too strong of a deficit? I should also add that I started out at 165. I am a type 1 diabetic and I work out about 6 days a week. I work out about 6 days a week, 30 minutes on cardio days and about an hour on strength training days (every other day). I have recently tried to eat 1500-1600 calories a day. My self-esteem has actually gone down because I look at the girls around me who eat more and way unhealthier than I do and don't gain a pound (I used to be like this before I stopped growing) and I feel increasingly frustrated as I realize that my body can't do that anymore. I also try and allow myself to ahve 1-3 cheat meals a week that'll usually be something like a slice of pizza, or a non-whole grain bagel, or a slice of cake. But even if I plan for these meals, I feel so guilty afterwards. Once, I even had to excuse myself and go cry in the bathroom because I felt so guilty that I was going to gain back all I had lost and bring myself backwards. It's gotten to the point where I can't eat a food without knowing how many calories are in it. I can't even begin to consume a meal without knowing how much I'm eating. Am I eating enough calories? And how do I get over this guilt? I know I'm mentally not in the right plave anymore, but I'm just so scared of gaining back all the weight after all the hard work I've done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
(female)

magdaaxo HB User
Re: 18 year old girl with weight issues... need advice

bump, can anyone help?

Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
(female)

someofusrbrave HB User

First off, a lot of these girls who eat like this in public a) eat nothing in private [I was one of these girls for years, so I know what I'm talking about] or b) are bulimics [I did that too].

Second, yeah, some folks are naturally thinner than others-which doesn't mean you should stop trying to get to your goal weight, if the process is a satisfying one to you, but it DOES mean-this is just my opinion-you are never going to be as thin as some women are in the world. However, let me ask you this-are you trying to be the thinnest around you? Because that was my mindset when I headed toward my anorexic phase of my eating disorder process, and lemme tell you, where I got was nowhere worth being.
Fast.
The truth is you are never going to look the way perhaps you were told you ought to look growing up; none of us are likely to ever please our mothers or look naturally the way others on the covers of magazines somehow seem to manage [which is what happens when you can afford to hire someone to cook for you, a personal trainer, a stylist and a makeup artist. For the rest of us, however....].
HOWEVER-if you eat in a way that causes you to feel strong, confident, grateful to yourself and even beautiful most days-that's all that really matters.
The way I think of it is this: I can starve myself trying to get down to an image that's been manufactured with the deliberate intent to cause me to feel bad about myself so I buy diet crap I don't need to be healthy, OR I can go run a marathon. Or go back to school and become a pediatrician or jump a six foot course [if you're me] or swim a 400 meter butterfly [which is, to me, pretty ******' impressive].
Does that help?

Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
(female)

someofusrbrave HB User

First off, a lot of these girls who eat like this in public a) eat nothing in private [I was one of these girls for years, so I know what I'm talking about] or b) are bulimics [I did that too].

Second, yeah, some folks are naturally thinner than others-which doesn't mean you should stop trying to get to your goal weight, if the process is a satisfying one to you, but it DOES mean-this is just my opinion-you are never going to be as thin as some women are in the world. However, let me ask you this-are you trying to be the thinnest around you? Because that was my mindset when I headed toward my anorexic phase of my eating disorder process, and lemme tell you, where I got was nowhere worth being.
Fast.
The truth is you are never going to look the way perhaps you were told you ought to look growing up; none of us are likely to ever please our mothers or look naturally the way others on the covers of magazines somehow seem to manage [which is what happens when you can afford to hire someone to cook for you, a personal trainer, a stylist and a makeup artist. For the rest of us, however....].
HOWEVER-if you eat in a way that causes you to feel strong, confident, grateful to yourself and even beautiful most days-that's all that really matters.
The way I think of it is this: I can starve myself trying to get down to an image that's been manufactured with the deliberate intent to cause me to feel bad about myself so I buy diet crap I don't need to be healthy, OR I can go run a marathon. Or go back to school and become a pediatrician or jump a six foot course [if you're me] or swim a 400 meter butterfly [which is, to me, pretty ******' impressive].
Does that help?

Reply Reply