It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
(male)

Roy123 HB User
Binge eating and depression

PLEASE... If only one person answers it would be a huge help. I'm 16 years old and have some serious problems. I started working out about two years ago, and immediately became obsessed with getting as muscular and skinny as possible. I did things to my diet such as eating little or no fat, (this lasted about 6 months) then eating little or no carbs, (this lasted about 3 months) and finally began restricting calories. After all this restriction and stress I binged once on junk food, then again a few months later, then a few times more frequently and over this past summer I lost all control. I binged every day for about 4 months and this past month I didn't binge at all. Then two or three days ago I binged again and it feels like it is going to start again. The only reason I'm not overweight is because I have an exercise addiction and workout for hours on end. I am definitely depressed and my school marks are dropping lower and lower, making it seem less likely I will achieve my dream of one day being a pilot. Sooo... The reason I am saying all this is because the depression is getting really bad now, to the point where I stay home from school because I have no motivation for anything. I just want someone who has overcome this eating problem to tell me how I can, too. I want my life back, right now I hate it.

The following user gives a hug of support to Roy123:
Phoenix (12-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Binge eating and depression

Hello Roy123 and welcome.

Any time we restrict necessary nutrients our body needs to be well nourished,additional stress is placed on both the digestive and circulatory systems.

Have you considered seeing a therapist and/or a prescribing physician about your depression and obsessive/compulsive tendencies?

It's definitely worth looking into,as i'm quite certain that you're looking for the light at the end of the tunnel(optimism).

Respectfully
Phoenix

The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Roy123 (02-07-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
(female)

natski HB User

Hi Roy,

I've been where you are. The only advice I can offer is to confide in someone, a doctor or councillor is ideal as they can talk to you properly about it and get you some proper help. If you aren't ready for that, then there are a few things you might want to consider.

firstly, not eating properly feeds the depression. Your brain runs on glucose ie. carbs, and if you don't eat enough of them you get slow, depressed etc. cutting out nutrients and food types is often what leads to a binge as your body needs these things. denying yourself them eventually leads to an overwhelming urge to eat... hence the binging. Allowing yourself to have small amounts of junk when you want it, or usual amounts of 'normal' carbs (like rice, wholegrains, pasta etc) might help in preventing a binge. and if you think about it, having small amounts of those things every now and then probably wouldn't even be as many calories as you would have in a binge.

try to figure out your triggers. are you having particular thoughts or feelings that lead to the binging? if you can identify them then you might be able to find another way to deal with them before it leads to a binge. a councillor would be able to help you figure this out.

The hard part is that it's a cycle. depression feeds the disorder and the disorder causes depression. The best way to break the cycle is to get some professional help. if you are unwilling to do that, try to take note of how you feel or what you're thinking when you eat. I know it's easier said than done but try to ease up on the rules or restrictions you put on food. don't cut anything out and make sure you have enough calories each day. You're still growing, starving yourself will stunt your growth and your body will just eat up the muscle you're trying to develop at the gym and slow down your metabolism in response.

The Following User Says Thank You to natski For This Useful Post:
Roy123 (02-07-2013)
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

Great answers, you guys.
As a binge eater of many decades, I will tell you that it goes hand in hand with depression. It's an attempt to "fill oneself up"....but as you and I both know, it is a counterfeit pleasure that doesn't last any longer than the last swallow.
Speak to someone. Maybe you need some meds for your depression. Don't look for a quick fix, regarding your weight. Eat healthy and exercise, and your body and your mind will thank you for it.
Happy New Year.

The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpotato13 For This Useful Post:
Roy123 (02-07-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
(female)

ashoxo HB User

Roy,

I deff. know how you feel. I have went through the same issue. Like you I started to diet and became obbessed with dieting and weight loss. I restricted A LOT of foods which lead to binge eating. I go through cycles of depression and binge eating. Right now Im in the process of getting out of this cycle once again. Its very frustrating and annoying. To help myself I have been going to therapy and talking to a psychiatrist to figure out a change in my medication which will help me. Only thing I know that helps get me through it is to keep truckin'. Dont give up. You are a fighter. If you weren't a fighter you wouldn't be asking for help right now. Get some help go talk to someone. Research binge eating recovery books, find a hobby, and do something for yourself that makes you feel good.

Hope that helps! Hang in there!

Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
(male)

Roy123 HB User

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who took the time out of their day and reply. I don't know how I'm doing it but I have pretty well cured myself. I just said, "this is dumb, I just need to stop restricting myself and if I binge, I binge. No regrets". All of a sudden I didn't even feel like binging, and I don't restrict myself at all compared to how I used to. Now all I do is avoid junk most of the time. I can now say from experience the only way to cure yourself is realize you don't have a "disorder", you just aren't enjoying your life enough.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

wonderful, Roy. What you've decided took me decades of binge eating to get to!!
For anyone reading, please get a copy of Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen.
I am a non binger after 40 long, shameful, hopeless years, since reading and implementing the simple message of the book.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
(male)

ruslankh HB User

i wish i could say the same, i am 30 and i been working out for 4 years and 2 years ago got so obssessd with it and i had exactly done the things you Roy describe, abut fat, exercise, carbs, and now i have binge eating disorder for 2 yers on, its worse that ever, i binge everday, i lost my social life, depresed, and i already have OCD, i read Brain over binge, may be 3 times, it couldnt help, i read others too, i take meds,but nothing helps, am so desperate, i am losing my life , as u said, i want my life , i miss my life i miss my old life

Last edited by Administrator; 03-26-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
depression anxiety stress sadness, eating disorder, teenager