It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

Eliza011294 HB User
Thumbs down Cant find the balance!

Hi guys. Need help, and reassurance really.
Nearly 3 years ago, I decided to lose weight. I lost about 13 stone, but I did it wrong. I practically starved myself, and exercised way to much. Food just became fuel, and instead of crying into a tub of icecream, like normal teenagers, I went for a very long walk, or run, or would go on my exercise bike. I didnt realise I had a problem until oneday, I went to do an exercise DVD and cried, because i didnt have the energy to do it. Since then I have been with a mental health team and have gone from 800 calories a day to 2000. But for the past week, I have binged. I have eaten all day non stop, chocolate mostly, and biscuits and cake, stuff i didnt eat whilst losing weight. Ive gained a little bit of weight, which I dont mind because i was starting to go below a size 10, which I didnt want, but is it normal to go from practically anorexic to compulsive binge eater so quickly? also, when does it stop. In my head ive had enough, but my body can carry on, its like im a bottomless pit? i dont wanna cut this stuff out, i tried but just ended up eating twice as much, i just wanna find my balance. Im bored with eating disorders. Thanks, sorry for waffling :L

The following user gives a hug of support to Eliza011294:
Phoenix (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
(female)

USmiss HB User
Re: Cant find the balance!

Hi Eliza,
Yes, it is very common for sufferers to go from starving themselves to then trying to get better and ending up binging. It happened to me and it happens to a lot of others too. I think there are 2 explanations for it....one is physiological: Our body was deprived so much that when we start feeding it, it keeps craving more and more because it doesn't know if you'll keep giving it this food or not. Second, I think it's a mental thing. We realize how much we missed that food and it becomes like a compulsion because it tastes so good to us. Then we get into an all or nothing attitude where we say, well I've already eaten one, say "cookie" so I might as well eat more. Then we find outselves going out of control. Also, remember horomones and chemicals that regulate appetite can also be screwed up from starving and being underweight. As hard as it is, I can tell you that in time it does balance out a bit. Just try your best to eat a healthy balanced diet so you lessen your chances of having cravings to binge. Also, times when you are most likely to binge, try to keep yourself busy mentally and physically (not necessarily working out all the time). Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
(female)

Eliza011294 HB User

Hi, thankyou for your reply
i just have an addictive personality, its not just food, i could be addicted to exercise, a game, walking, once i get hooked on something, it runs my life haha. Forgive me for being rude, but did you have any problem with your periods? I started to lose weight because i was too fat to have them, then when i lost weight. i got them, then i lost too much weight and i havent had one in about a year. Do you know if it will come back whether i keep eating? not binging, just eating more?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello Eliza011294 and welcome.

Eating disorders can carry some aspects of obsessive compulsion.
When not using one extreme,some other component may be substituted,if not properly addressed.
Please know that there's no shame in considering therapy and/or exploring the possibility of prescription drugs,as a means of controlling the impulses.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 12-20-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #5
(female)

USmiss HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza011294 View Post
Hi, thankyou for your reply
i just have an addictive personality, its not just food, i could be addicted to exercise, a game, walking, once i get hooked on something, it runs my life haha. Forgive me for being rude, but did you have any problem with your periods? I started to lose weight because i was too fat to have them, then when i lost weight. i got them, then i lost too much weight and i havent had one in about a year. Do you know if it will come back whether i keep eating? not binging, just eating more?
I know just how you feel. I also have an addictive personality. I believe it is partially genetic as alcoholism runs in my family with numerous people. I lost my period completely for 3 whole years. It did not return until I gained about half of the weight back that i had lost. If you are underweight/have low body fat, your estrogen levels drop so you can't have a period. Not eating properly doesn't help either. As long as you maintain a healthy weight, you should get it back but it will likely take some time to even out. I have been at a healthy weight for almost 5 years now and my periods are still irregular. I was told I have Polycystic ovary syndrome though, but not sure if that's correct diagnoses or not. You should really seek out help from a nutritionist and therapist. They could help you a lot

Reply Reply