It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
(female)

SianxX HB User
Question Recovery Issues

Hello everyone,

My name is Sian and important 20 years old. I have suffered with an eating disorder for roughly 8 years now. I have never been admitted for it nor have i ever received help because i never thought i was worth it.

You see what happens is my eating disorder comes and goes. It can get really bad then i decide that i want to recover which i do alone then it comes back which clearly means it isn't working.

A few months back i relapsed again and feeling sick and tired of this constant cycle that never fully goes i decided to visit the doctor and ask for help. I don't know what i was expecting, but i did think it would be quick to start recovery. So when i received a appt for a psychiatrist i thought this was it and i would be on my way only to find out he was just assessing me and he would refer me. He referred me to a clinic and sent me a copy of the letter he sent which stated 'Patient looked very slim but she was wearing baggy clothes so it was hidden, I would say she has Atypical Anorexia and would like you to see her'. When i saw this man i was wearing fitted skinny jeans so i wasn't wearing baggy clothes.

anyway a few months passed and i still hadn't received anything from the referral so i continued living how i was.

yesterday i received a appt for the referral to the clinic. It wasn't until then that i realised how much i am not ready for this. I feel like it was a stupid idea to have asked for help in the first place and now it is nearly here it feels a bit too real and important actually quite worried/scared.

I really don't understand because only a few months ago i was ready for this, and now... now i am everything but ready. I don't know what part it is that i am not ready for, I mean, i don't want to have Anorexia for the rest of my life, but i guess the idea of not having it really worries me? Important feeling so overwhelmed and just want to cry and hide.

Is any of this normal? I mean i have never had to go through this so now i don't know what is right or wrong when it comes to how to feel but i think it confuses me more that i was the one that asked for the help.

Any advise?

Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to SianxX:
Phoenix (12-22-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to SianxX For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (12-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Recovery Issues

Hello SianxX and welcome.

Please notice that I placed both a hug of support and thank you under your thread.
A hug of support because no one should have to go through this alone.
A thank you for helping me to see something in myself,which I am grateful to you for.

Your eating disorder has been a part of your life for quite a while and the possibility of doing away with it entirely can be a tad disheartening,to say the least.
It was probably being used as a coping mechanism in tough times.
It's not unlike having to say goodbye to a close friend.
The only difference is that this "friend" could've possibly caused you grave harm.

Close your eyes for a moment and imagine all the clutter that represents your life's situations.Now visualize a gigantic broom whisking away all the bad memories and stressful times.

What you will be left with,when the dust clears,is a foundation.
The foundation is strong,firm and durable;you are the foundation.
Now visualize what you'd like on or around the foundation;remember,a little at a time.

Sometimes the most difficult things in life just seem this way because we fear change.
I'm here to tell you that change can be a good thing and not only can it turn that frown upside down but it also has the capability of making mountains,mole hills;in our mind's eye.

Know that I want better for you and deep down I know you do also.
Please take the necessary steps to make this a reality.
In the long run,you'll be glad you did.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 12-22-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: capitalization

The following user gives a hug of support to Phoenix:
aileb (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SianxX View Post
Hello everyone,

My name is Sian and important 20 years old. I have suffered with an eating disorder for roughly 8 years now. I have never been admitted for it nor have i ever received help because i never thought i was worth it.

You see what happens is my eating disorder comes and goes. It can get really bad then i decide that i want to recover which i do alone then it comes back which clearly means it isn't working.

A few months back i relapsed again and feeling sick and tired of this constant cycle that never fully goes i decided to visit the doctor and ask for help. I don't know what i was expecting, but i did think it would be quick to start recovery. So when i received a appt for a psychiatrist i thought this was it and i would be on my way only to find out he was just assessing me and he would refer me. He referred me to a clinic and sent me a copy of the letter he sent which stated 'Patient looked very slim but she was wearing baggy clothes so it was hidden, I would say she has Atypical Anorexia and would like you to see her'. When i saw this man i was wearing fitted skinny jeans so i wasn't wearing baggy clothes.

anyway a few months passed and i still hadn't received anything from the referral so i continued living how i was.

yesterday i received a appt for the referral to the clinic. It wasn't until then that i realised how much i am not ready for this. I feel like it was a stupid idea to have asked for help in the first place and now it is nearly here it feels a bit too real and important actually quite worried/scared.

I really don't understand because only a few months ago i was ready for this, and now... now i am everything but ready. I don't know what part it is that i am not ready for, I mean, i don't want to have Anorexia for the rest of my life, but i guess the idea of not having it really worries me? Important feeling so overwhelmed and just want to cry and hide.

Is any of this normal? I mean i have never had to go through this so now i don't know what is right or wrong when it comes to how to feel but i think it confuses me more that i was the one that asked for the help.

Any advise?

Thank you.
Hi,

It took courage to seek out help! I saw a therapist for one year and a half (every two weeks). Before the appts., my heart would beat fast and I felt dizzy, anxious, and wanted to throw up.

It's OK to not be 100% sure that you want to recover before you see a therapist or psychiatrist.

I had NO intentions of recovering before I went to therapy. I only went because my college was making me attend.

I stuck with it because my therapist took things slowly. We selected one or two goals during the appt. The goal were breathing, walking slowly for meditation (instead of focusing to burn calories), ordering food from a restaurant etc..

My advise would be to not focus on what he wrote. I did not see my therapist when I was at my anorexic weight. I saw him after I developed bulimia. It was a huge setback to get a bulimia diagnosis and not EDNOs.

Before your appt., write down something you want to tell your psychiatrist like
(you are nervous, you aren't sure you are ready for recovery, etc...) and take it with it to your appt.

If you get nervous or feel like backing out-remember that you have the note and could just give it to the psychiatrist.

I listen to relaxing music on my ipod-usually the same song on repeat and wear comfy clothes and sneakers before and after my appt.

Have a plan for after your appt. You will probably feel like you didn't get to say everything you wanted and overwhelmed with emotions because you said IT.

After my therapy appts., I walked slowly around campus while listening to music and then I found a quiet spot and wrote in my journal.

There are going to be times in treatment were you feel like you want to go back to your disorder because it feels safe. (I didn't know how it would be to live without an ed.)
In the past, you got better and then relapsed over and over. With treatment, you will have setbacks, but your psychiatrist will help you prepare for the setbacks so that they don't lead to relapses.

hugs

The following user gives a hug of support to aileb:
nicci 6 (03-07-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

OnWithHope HB User

It's normal to both want and not want recovery at the same time or go back and forth between extremes: being very ready and then not ready at all.
Some people think that feeling ready is important for recovery, but I disagree. I think that recovery involves feeling ambivalent sometimes. The key is to not trust what you think you want right now. When I realized that I couldn't really trust my instincts, that was probably one of the biggest steps I took toward recovery.
A big part of eating disorders is not realizing that our thought processes are betraying us.

Reply Reply

Tags
anorexia treatment