It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

chancedog HB User
My mom has been anorexic/bulimic for 40 years and it's getting worse - how can I help

Hi! I'll do my best to make this fairly short... My wonderful loving beautiful 69 year old mom has been anorexic/bulimic since I can remember and I'm 41. She has always been thin, but in the past year, she's alarmingly thin and frail. Since I don't live with her and her husband (my stepdad) turns a blind eye, it's difficult for me discuss her situation as she just denies and blames her thin-ness on not feeling well, etc.etc. She works out for 2.5 hours each morning (never skips) and purges all day from what I can gather from secretively monitoring her. Anyway, my entire family is very worried about her. She hasn't seen the Dr. for 4 years now - I'm guessing because she doesn't want anyone to tell her to stop and her internal body is probably in shambles. My question is - should my brothers and I have any intervention for her? Should I talk to her myself (again) and tell her that I know she's lying to me and that we're all worried about her and that I want her to see a Dr (I would go with of course if she lets me). Is it too late because she's had this behavior for so long? I love her very much and don't want to lose her! Thank you for listening and any feedback!!!
xoxo

The following user gives a hug of support to chancedog:
Phoenix (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: My mom has been anorexic/bulimic for 40 years and it's getting worse - how can I

Hello chancedog and welcome.

I would definitely suggest having an intervention.

A single family member/friend is one thing but several members who truly are concerned about her well-being speaks volumes.

Please let us know what you think;if you're up to it.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply