It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
(female)

Jenw12 HB User
How to lose weight after anoerxia recovery

Hi, I am new to this. I don't want to ramble but I think I should give some history. I was started being treated for eating disorders when I was 12, I am now 27. For the last five years I have been able to keep it under control, mostly because I have two wonderful children and amazing husband. When I have relapsed in the past it always started by accidentally skipping a meal and feeling good when I was hungry, and continuing to ferl goid by starving, but this only happened during an exceptionally stressful time in my life. After all of the treatment I believe I know my triggers, and I think hunger is the worse one. When I was 21 I was diagnosed with SLE (lupus), which causes chronic pain and fatigue. The pain, fatigue, medications, and having two kids has caused a lot of weight gain. I have no choice but to diet, and that's a sure way for me to fall apart. I have lost close to 15 lbs in two weeks and I am restricting pretty heavily, about 500 calories a day, plus excessive working out. I'm wondering if anyone has been through something like this and has any advice. My doctors agree about the need for weight lose, but I don't go in for two more weeks. With my other conditions this could be very dangerous, and I was hoping for any insight on how to safely lose weight and not let old habits take over. Thank you for any advice!

Old 01-17-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: How to lose weight after anoerxia recovery

These are my thoughts on it, "diets" and calorie restriction is perhaps a good way to get back into your old unhealthy behaviours however you don't need these things to lose weight, it is possible to lose weight by eating a healthy balanced diet that doesn't involve restricting calories or food intake, it's all about choosing foods based on nutrition rather than those things, and it's also the way to not only lose weight but keep it off long term. Most people can not stick to a restricted diet long term so even in a healthy person with no food issues, diets don't maintain the weight loss. I would suggest you see a dietician and learn how to eat for health rather than "dieting" or rapid weight loss, because you can eat a lot of food on healthy diet and still lose weight and it has nothing do with calories or restriction, it has more to do with what you eat and when you eat. Calorie restriction never works long term because the body soon realises that the calorie intake is reduced and starts to conserve calories for survival, but I think it's a slippery slope for someone with an eating disorder and it's such an outdated approach to weight loss that is completely unnecessary, and actually not that effective.

"I have lost close to 15 lbs in two weeks and I am restricting pretty heavily, about 500 calories a day, plus excessive working out. "

IMO, 500 calories a day is not even a diet, it's serious calorie restriction which amounts to virtual starvation, this on top of working out is the type of behaviours you do not want to get into with your history. I honestly think you are playing with fire rather than approaching weight loss in a healthy way, even if you had no history of eating disorder, this behaviour would be concerning, but it's even more concerning when you take your history into account because you are obviously reverting back to old behaviours. 15lbs weight loss in 2 weeks is actually really excessive, your body is not designed to lose weight that fast and it will send it into a chaos. This is why I think you need the guidance of a dietician so that you can approach it in a healthy way instead of what you are doing because losing weight in a healthy way is actually very foreign to you, you only understand the unhealthy type of weight loss that was so wrapped up in your eating disorder and you need help to do this right.

Last edited by captjane; 01-17-2013 at 04:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply