It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
(female)

Slim1984 HB User
Bulimia and Cavities

Can purging cause cavities? I would assume so.

Forgive me for being blunt, but is there any point in filling cavities if you know you'll just keep purging in the future?

Also, can purging cause bone loss in the teeth?

Last edited by Slim1984; 01-16-2013 at 04:43 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Slim1984:
Phoenix (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Bulimia and Cavities

Hello Hannah and welcome.

It's not the purging itself,that causes erosion of the enamel but rather the corrosive acid juices which are released from the digestive system.

Yes.
The point of filling cavities is so no no further damage can possibly reach the root(hence the procedure root canal) or result in early tooth extraction.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 01-16-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
(female)

Slim1984 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Hello Hannah and welcome.

It's not the purging itself,that causes erosion of the enamel but rather the corrosive acid juices which are released from the digestive system.

Yes.
The point of filling cavities is so no no further damage can possibly reach the root(hence the procedure root canal) or result in early tooth extraction.

Respectfully
Phoenix

So in a sense are you agreeing that the act of purging would just destroy my teeth again?

I'm not saying I would want to avoid all dental work because of this, but rather that I want to consider my options since I know what I may do to myself, and the dentist said it's not an emergency and he's in no rush to fill them if I need to think about it.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

It's much more likely that the purging would damage other parts of the teeth rather than the area filled. But if you don't get the cavities filled those areas are already weakened and going to be more susceptible to further decay and damage from the purging so I guess it depends if you want to repair the damaged (decayed) areas or whether you want to wait until the erosion gets through the enamel and causes the tooth to die which will need root canal (expensive) or tooth extraction. Fillings are much more resilient to acid than regular tooth enamel so filling the cavities makes more sense than leaving them to be damaged further.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
(female)

Slim1984 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjane View Post
It's much more likely that the purging would damage other parts of the teeth rather than the area filled. But if you don't get the cavities filled those areas are already weakened and going to be more susceptible to further decay and damage from the purging so I guess it depends if you want to repair the damaged (decayed) areas or whether you want to wait until the erosion gets through the enamel and causes the tooth to die which will need root canal (expensive) or tooth extraction. Fillings are much more resilient to acid than regular tooth enamel so filling the cavities makes more sense than leaving them to be damaged further.
Thank you.

I guess either way I have a few months to decide. He said they're so small that the xray barely saw them. I will see how they are at my next visit. If I have more, or if they got worse, I will fill.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
(female)

kaylalala HB Userkaylalala HB User

Hannah,

I think the best thing is to get whatever cavities you have right now filled as soon as possible. This is just based on my experience with bulimia. I've had it to varying degrees for 15 years and I totally wish I would have had my teeth taken care of starting when they first started to show signs of decay. The reason is this: like you, I had very small cavities for a long time and never did anything about them because I figured they weren't that big a deal and since I wasn't done purging, what was the point? But then all of a sudden they got MUCH worse. It happened so fast I didn't even notice for a few months until, boom! I ended up needing several root canals on those "small" cavities and even now I have not been able to get all of my cavities filled. I have like ten, and that is after many hours of dental work already.

The sooner you start getting work done to repair your teeth, the less agony and financial hardship you will have to go through in the future. I believe this will be true whether or not you continue purging.

Best of luck Hannah!

Reply Reply