It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
(female)

breathee123456 HB User
serious digestive problem 4 months into recovery?!

Hi. Basically in August I began recovering from anorexia nervosa but it was very half hearted and I only truly started eating properly in December, I started at a bmi of 15ish and at first gained weight quickly, but now I maintain a BMI of around 19ish eating basically what I want, usually around 3,000-3,500 calories a day.

Anyway, my digestive system is screwed. I can physically feel the food going right through me and after I eat I feel like I really need to go to the bathroom-but I NEVER can, or if I do manage to go it's always like ermm (sorry, TMI and disgusting) really small amounts several times throughout the day or randomly it builds up and I go lots maybe 2 or 3 times a night. It's painful and humiliating.

Please help-my doctors have no idea I've read that when you have a fast metabolism you do need to use the bathroom frequently-sometimes right after a meal, which is how I feel. I don't know if this is possible, but my theory is that my screwed up digestive system and my metabolism which has finally started to speed up are working against each other.

Any remedies? I am completely out of ideas, occasionally I still take laxatives because it just gets so painful and I'm always so bloated I have a perfectly balanced diet too!

The following user gives a hug of support to breathee123456:
Phoenix (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: serious digestive problem 4 months into recovery?!

Hello breathee123456 and welcome.

Have any of the physicians referred you to a gastroenterologist?

Respectfully
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
(female)

Leeeelo HB User

Def. sounds like digestive problems, pretty normal after ed. I would do a detox, cut out anything harsh on your digestive system. Chances are your gut is rejecting a lot of foods ie. nuts, wheat, diary... Look up the GAPS diet. This should heal your gut. Be patient, it takes time. Also: get a good quality probiotic.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
(female)

OnWithHope HB User

I'm sorry you are going through this! Restricting your diet in any way at this point could cause a relapse of eating disorder symptoms, so I would try to focus on remedies that do not require cutting out any foods at this point. Many people deal with bloating for quite a few months during recovery. Some also pass through a period of hypermetabolism which can cause hot and cold flashes and digestive discomfort. If you have never had any problems like this before, it may just be your digestive system learning to work again as you recover. When I was in treatment, some people in treatment with me were given a medicine that helped food progress from stomach to intestines a little more quickly which can help with the pain after meals. I like the idea of seeing a gastroenterologist or finding a second opinion. Until then, a lot of people in treatment use hotpads on their stomach area after eating to ease the pain. If you ever abused laxatives, it may also be that your intestines are relearning to work on their own. The idea of taking probiotics sounds like it could help. I find that probiotics taken with a fiber supplement and plenty of water helps me when I feel that way.

Another issue is if you have added more artificial sweeteners in your diet. Many people find that artificial sweeteners cause digestive issues like what you are describing. Perhaps if you are using these sweeteners, you can try to cut back or replace them.

Reply Reply