It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

Nan-NMW HB User
T-Scores

My T-scores are -2.3 for spine and -4.0 for hip. I have noticed some of you have posted your scores. I would like to know just how bad mine are compared to others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: T-Scores

HI,
My T scores are comparable to yours - not too good. Spine -3.8 at the worst level and -1.6 in my hip. Was anyone able to get a DEXA test that tested below L 3/4? I'm afraid the further down, the worse my score is. Just wondering.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2005, 12:56 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Sherry M HB User

My T scores about a month ago were -2.6 in the hip and -4.5 in the spine. I am 50 years old. I am not looking forward to the coming years.

Old 02-06-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I am 34, my hips are -1.4 and my spine is -2.5

Both of my sisters (ages 44 and 37) also have osteopenia. It's funny all of our doctors have different opinions. We share them with each other and try different things. I'm not nearly as worried about it as I was when first diagnosed (a few months ago).

My oldest sister's hips were -1.9 and her hips are -1.4 - but her numbers have gone up with diet and exercise only.

My other sister hasn't had a full scan, but her wrist scan showed the density to be -2.5

Old 02-06-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

Jone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry M
My T scores about a month ago were -2.6 in the hip and -4.5 in the spine. I am 50 years old. I am not looking forward to the coming years.

Are you on any medication now?? If so, have your scores changed while on medication?

Old 02-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Sherry M HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jone
Are you on any medication now?? If so, have your scores changed while on medication?
For the full story, see my post "need general info," also on the osteoporosis board.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:06 AM   #7

linda.b HB User

I am 58.
My T scores were ; spine L1-L4 -4.46 in 02 -3.78 in 04 I was greatly relieved by this result.

hip total -2.87 in 02 -2.94 in 04 Not so good but stable-ish ?
Hoping this trend will continue.
The good news is, no fractures at all to date. I think the consensus is, if you have had one fracture you are at greater risk of more.
Now 4years since my parathyroidectomy. Last 2years on HRT.
I found that, 6months taking Fosamax, 6months after surgery, made me feel like I had parathyroid disease again and did not increase BMD. Stopped the fosamax, against my consultant's advice .So glad I did.
I try to keep as MOBILE as poss. Immobility, bed rest, increases bone loss.

Last edited by linda.b; 02-08-2005 at 03:10 AM.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:27 PM   #8
(female)

cwing HB User

Hi, I am so glad to here about other peoples t-scores. I have been trying to get some kind of info to compare mine. I am a 57 year old female. My last bone density test showed my spine at -3.2. My hips at -1.9. Left forearm at -2.2. I have been on fosamax for about the last five years and on miacalcin for about 2-3 years. Does anyone know anything about Z-scores? My Dr. recently sent me to an endocrineologist. What does a thyroid Dr. have to do with low bone density? What is the lowest t-score for a spine that anyone has ever heard of? I have also been on 1200-1500 mgs of calcium a day for acouple of years.

Thanks for any info.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:56 AM   #9
(female)

Aleta145 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwing
Hi, I am so glad to here about other peoples t-scores. I have been trying to get some kind of info to compare mine. I am a 57 year old female. My last bone density test showed my spine at -3.2. My hips at -1.9. Left forearm at -2.2. I have been on fosamax for about the last five years and on miacalcin for about 2-3 years. Does anyone know anything about Z-scores? My Dr. recently sent me to an endocrineologist. What does a thyroid Dr. have to do with low bone density? What is the lowest t-score for a spine that anyone has ever heard of? I have also been on 1200-1500 mgs of calcium a day for acouple of years.

Thanks for any info.
From what I understand, Z-scores are based on where your bone mineral density stands in relation to others of your age group. T-scores compare you with the young healthy population, who would be at their optimum BMD. The ages on which these scores are based seem to vary a bit between manufacturers of the DEXA machines, but it's somewhere between 20-30 years old. Have you seen an increase in your BMD since you started Fosamax?

The reason you were sent to an endocrinologist is because two key glands of the endocrine system are responsible for secreting the hormones that regulate bone physiology. The thyroid secretes calcitonin and the parathyroid secretes parathryoid hormone; they maintain the balance of calcium and phosphorus and in turn regulate bone resorption.
Current treatment: Evista

Old 03-14-2005, 07:58 AM   #10
(female)

meemee57 HB User

Newbie,

I am 57 years old.
I had my first bone scan March of last year (2004). The L1 vertebrae was
-2.8. The other lumbar vertebrae were in the osteopenia range. The L1 was of course severe osteoporosis. Over -2.5 is severe. I was devistated! I had no idea. My Mother is 90 years old and has very severe osteoporosis. I should have had a bone scan 5 years ago.

Now for the good news. Last year my Dr. put me on Fosamax. I've been taking the once a week pill. I have had no noticable side affects. I take 1200 mg of calcium a day. I have been walking and I also ordered an exercise tape for the osteoporosis foundation web site that is great.
Last week I had my yearly bone scan. The L1 vertebrae is now -1.9. That is a 10% improvement. The other sites have improved by 2% to 5%. That's in 1 year! I expect to be completely normal next year.

I have read a lot of messages from women who are refusing to take the medications their Drs. are prescribing. They are concerned about the side effects. I understand. I was a concerned myself. But I am to young to make an invalid out of myself. I'm sure people had concerns about the polio vaccine when it first came out.

Don't give up! Do everything you can to maintaiin your quality of life. I believe God has also had a part in my healing. Because my results after one year are truly miraculous.

God Bless!
MeeMee57

Old 03-14-2005, 05:00 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

MeeMee,
Congratulations on improvement in your bone density. You are very fortunate that you don't have any side effects from the Fosamax. Just about everyone I have talked with and including myself gets terrible stomach problems from the medication.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:09 PM   #12
(female)

spinewhine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry M

I'm 54 and my T-score was -3.5 in spine (L2-L4 region) and -2.4 in the hip. My gynecologist told me the spine score was really bad and sent me to an endocrinologist. That's why I went right on Forteo -- to try to get some more bone density before hopefully locking it in with Fosamax.

It was a real shock to get this diagnosis because I feel fine and have had no fractures. My doctor also recommended working with a trainer at the gym to build upper body strength. I'm doing that too. The doctor said when muscle pulls on bone, it builds bone. My trainer said muscle is heavy and when it lays on the bone, it builds bone. Whatever. I'm doing some light weight lifting and stretching exercises. Trying to gradually become stronger. Also working on balance since it's important not to fall. Good luck to everyone.

Last edited by spinewhine; 03-14-2005 at 07:10 PM.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:21 AM   #13
(female)

Linni HB User

I'm 54 and my spine is -1.94 and my hips are -2.91. My numbers have actually gotten worse despite being on once a week Fosamax, increased calcium and increased exercise. At my last dr's appointment I told her I was going off Fosamax because a) it wasn't working and b) I was getting severe muscle pains in my legs and feet. So, I've upped my weight bearing exercise - I lift weights three times a week now for half an hour or forty-five minutes, but I don't know what else TO do, because I was doing everything right in the beginning anyway.

On another site I read that Fosamax might only 'seem' to be working at times, because it builds 'brittle bone mass' rather than regular bone mass. Does anyone know anything about this? What is brittle bone mass? (That doesn't sound good.)

Linni

Old 03-16-2005, 10:44 AM   #14
(female)

Aleta145 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linni
On another site I read that Fosamax might only 'seem' to be working at times, because it builds 'brittle bone mass' rather than regular bone mass. Does anyone know anything about this? What is brittle bone mass? (That doesn't sound good.)Linni
I've also read that. In order to understand, you must know a little about bone resorption and the mechanism Fosamax uses to build bone density. I made up a very simplified metaphor for it. Imagine your bones are like a busy parking lot. There's a demolition crew (Osteoclasts) that comes in and removes old cracked asphalt, and another crew (Osteoblasts) that brings new asphalt in and fills up the holes. A truck comes and hauls away the stuff they removed, and that is called resorption. When you're young, there's a balance of these two crews, but as you get older, there are more osteoclasts removing the old cracked up asphalt than there are osteoblasts coming in to fill up the holes. So there are a lot holes not getting filled in. Enter Fosamax. It lays off a bunch of the osteoclasts so their activity slows down in order for the osteoblasts to catch up. You end up with a lot of areas of old asphalt that normally would have been removed, but at least the holes are gone.

If my metaphor isn't accurate, I hope someone will correct me, because I am basing my own treatment decisions on it.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #15
(female)

Aleta145 HB User

So I have my husband's reports here which I'm putting into a spreadsheet to track his results on Fosamax. The earliest scan was done on a different machine from the latest one, so I thought it would make more sense to compare the actual density rather than the T-scores, since different manufacturers have different standards. In 2000 his L1-L4 spine was .716. Then last week, his L1-L4 was .838. Sounds a lot better than 5 years ago, right? Here's the kicker: in 2000 his T-score was -3.1. Now it's -3.2. So it's actually worse? Or should I even be looking at that number at all? How is a person supposed to base treatment decisions on data that is so conflicting?

I guess this is really a rhetorical question. Thanks for letting me vent.

Closed Thread