It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Exclamation Multiple symptoms, research, tests, still no answer

Hello everyone.

I need some help. I've been having a plethora of symptoms for over two months now, and have researched and researched along with tests from my doctors and still can't figure anything out.

It all started about two months ago. I had some pretty bad abdominal pain...but didn't think much of it. I figured maybe I had picked up a bug or something. Later that day I had a bowel movement...which was pretty much bloody diarrhea. I had to wear a panty liner because it continued to bleed throughout the day and that night.

A week passed and there wasn't a lot more bleeding. There was a little blood here and there in my stools, but nothing anything like that first bout. As another week passed, the abdominal pain became much worse and I started to carry a low fever (around 99.5 degrees F). I also began to feel nauseous and tired, and generally weak. I began feeling so weak that my heart would feel like it would beat out of my chest just from going up some stairs (that I go up every day).

These symptoms continued and the abdominal pain continued to worsen and worsen. I've now got a severe pain in my entire left side...with the worst being around the middle of my left side, and another really tender spot under my left ribs. The spot under my left ribs seems almost like something is swollen there. I have to constantly lean to my right because it feels like it is pushing out on my ribs and if I bend onto it it kinda pinches.

I've also had some pretty bad pain in my back whenever the abdominal pain is at its worst. I'm not sure if that is simply from the pain radiating or something else entirely.

I've been tested for over 100 food allergies (all came back negative), and have watched what I ate, with no findings of worsening symptoms after eating anything. I had a rectal exam which found a few hemorroids (which wasn't bothering me anyway). The doctor treated those, cleared them up..and still having all these symptoms. I just had a colonoscopy and nothing was found...completely negative for any colon disorders.

I did have a strange bout of a viral infection in July (somewhere are there). They never figured out what it was, but I had about 20 swollen lymph nodes, with one being the size of a ping pong ball. I have no idea if this could be related, but thought I'd add it just in case.

I've researched and researched and am still stumped. Is there any advice? I could really use some help

Thanks,
Vers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
(female)

DX- HB User
Re: Multiple symptoms, research, tests, still no answer

Vers,

You've posted about these kinds of symptoms before. Among your tests, have you had blood tests? CT scans? MRIs? Have they looked for hernias or any type of gastric problem like an ulcer?

Also, I see that you have posted on a dozen or so different boards, and I wonder if any of your problems can be stress related?

Of course you know we can't help you with a diagnosis -- we can only help you research when you have a diagnosis or test results for which you need resources.

My only recommendation to you from here is to get ahold of the test results you DO have, and see if you can look up some of the terminology you'll find in those tests.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
(female)

npainnTN HB User

just a thought, but have they checked your liver and pancreas? sometimes you can have referred pain to your left side. What about your right side? any problems there? What about your heart, alot of women experience abdominal pain when they r having heart problems. That wouldn't explain the fullness feeling. But just a thougt. Did they check to see if the blood in your stool was from the hemarrhoids or actually in the stool? I am just trying to throw out ideas. Hope you get to feeling better!!! keep us posted.

j

Old 11-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

npainnfla,

No, they haven't checked for liver or pancreas yet, but from my research, I'm going to talk to them about it next time, as it does sound like it might be a qualifying idea. There's no pain in my right side, although last night I had experienced the absolute worst pain in my life under my ribs. At first I figured it was gas because that can hurt there pretty bad, but mine is usually relieved when I lay down. I laid down and still couldn't relieve it. I tossed and turned for two hours, moaning in pain..I know I probably should have went to the ER, but really didn't care to. It was finally relieved by me clutching a pillow tight against my abdomen with a heating pad against it for about a half hour. Have no idea what happened...it came out of nowhere without eating, having a bowel movement, anything...just out of nowhere.

As for heart problems...I have no idea? I'm only 20...although I've had many illnesses before my age (I know a lot of people rule things out by age, but I've went against odds many times). I've already ruled out gallbladder because #1, the pain's not on the right side, and #2, I don't have a gallbladder anymore.

I DO have hemorroids which possibly explain the blood in the stool, however don't explain the persistent fever and sharp pains...along with the fatigue...etc.

Thanks for the suggestions and questions. I think the next step will be looking at the liver and pancreas (may have damaged them from past drug abuse... , but hopefully not). I'll also try to get a hold of my test results to put on here in hopes of figuring out some stuff...oh! I do have a high sed. rate, which can mean inflamation? I don't know how that works tho.

MisDiagnosisMOD,

I know I post on here a lot, I love the communities and the support and answers I can find here. I do take advantage of that, after all, that is what it's here for, right? I do have a lot of ongoing health problems, thus the posting on multiple boards. I realize I am only 20 and that it seems strange to have so many problems, but I am getting assistance from professionals along with my personal research and have unfortunately found that I have seemed to get a lot of illness against statistics for my age. There's always that 1 or 2% tho. As far as stress, I did consider that. I do have stress problems, however those usually show up as achy all over (sometimes severe), GI upset, headaches, sometimes dizziness, etc. This specific problem is more like sharp, shooting pain in a specific area, along with a fever, which I do not believe can be caused by stress (which my doctor agrees).

I will however follow the rules and find my tests to get help, rather than throwing this stuff out in the air. I'm just getting frustrated and can use all of the help I can find .

Thanks again you two!

-Vers

Old 11-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
(female)

npainnTN HB User

Versailles, I know how you feel about being young and having so many problems. I am in the same boat. I will not go into all of it, as I have also posted about it many times before. Everytime a doctors says "theres no way, your too young." It usually ends up being the case. I mean I had hemorrhoid surgery when I was 5 years old. So, I understand completely what you mean. I wish I could be more help, with the pain. You said you did have your gallbladder out right? Does the pain go anywhere else? like to your back, neck, shoulder blades? One more thing I thought of, I don't remember how long you said this has been going on, but could you be pregnant? An Ectopic pregnancy could cause some, but not all of your symptoms. Just throwing things out there. Hope you have a better night tonight.

j

Old 11-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Quote:
You said you did have your gallbladder out right? Does the pain go anywhere else? like to your back, neck, shoulder blades? One more thing I thought of, I don't remember how long you said this has been going on, but could you be pregnant? An Ectopic pregnancy could cause some, but not all of your symptoms. Just throwing things out there. Hope you have a better night tonight.
Yes, I had my gallbladder removed out a couple years ago. The pain is mostly just under that left area under my rib. it does shoot around into my back occasionally and down my left side, and it often shoots more into the middle of my ribs (more underneath the ribs, rather than like my sternum). There is no pain in my shoulder blades or neck that I can think of tho. There is no possibility of pregnancy. I have not be sexually active in over a year, so that couldn't be an option.

The thing that I find to be the strangest symptom of all is the feeling under my left rib. It feels like something is shoved up under there, almost like a grapefruit has been shoved up under there or something. Whenever I bend or twist, I can feel almost like something is rubbing against my ribs. It doesn't feel hard, but definitely a pressure and my abdomen looks a little swollen visually on that side. I also noticed that by putting heat on the spot the other day, I had actually made it worse.. when I tried heat on it again, it made it worse. When I put cold on it, it made it better. Rather strange how that worked.

Anyway thanks again, I'm hoping to get some more information soon to share, and hopefully figure this thing out.

Unfortunately that extreme pain I felt the other night has recurred again a couple times, and things just continue to go downhill. I have another doctor appt. again soon, and hopefully she'll be able to run a couple more tests and maybe I'll finally get an answer (hopefully a good one).

Thanks again, and it's nice to know I'm not the only young person going through this medical stuff. I feel a little comforted knowing I'm not alone in this.

*hugs*
-Vers

Old 11-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Update:

Today I have discovered some new things about what's going on. The severe pain I had the other day. This time I noticed that it came on after I had stretched my back (stretching backwards and side to side). The pain was severe, just like last time, but I tried to pay more attention to the details of it. I noted that the pain was again all the way across my upper abdomen, just below my ribs, with the worst still being on the left side. About every couple seconds, the pain would shoot in a straight line from the middle/upper abdomen down to my belly button, and up into the lower part of my chest a little. The worst of the shooting pain is that which shoots down to my belly button though. Another thing I noticed is that during these bouts, there is some very loud gut noises. They are easily heard without having your ear anywhere near my abdomen. I can also feel the movement/gurgling just below my ribs..and it does not move or gurgle anywhere else.

There was no eating or bowel movements directly before this bout..just stretching brought it on I think. After it, I had no gas or bowel movements or other GI upset/action, just the gurgling noise/sensation. The pain again continued for several hours.

-Vers

Old 11-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
(female)

Mariley HB User

Some more possibilities are that you have some problem with your kidneys or ovaries. However, a major part of it could still be gas! I've had some severe gas attacks (in that past) that (several times) lasted for days until the gas finally came out! Go out (or have someone go for you) and try some gas-x. Also, try to eat only liquids for a few days and see if enough stool clears your intestines to get this gas out. (If it is in there) Can you make yourself burp? Sometimes this can get some of the gas out.
Are your lymph nodes still swollen? I had swollen lymph nodes one time (in several regions) and that particular doctor seemed to be really worried at the time. Some possibilities of swollen lymph nodes (besides infections) are lymphoma, hodgkin's disease. immunodeciciency and AID) Not saying that you have any of these.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
(female)

Mariley HB User

Is it possible that your viral infection was mononucleosis? This seems like a bad flu in the early stages and the symptoms include fever, chills, headache,sore throat and a profound feeling of weakness. You may also notice that you have painful swelling in your neck, armpits and/or groin (lymp nodes). You may also develop jandice (turn yellow) or a skin rash. Your spleen may enlarge (located in your upper left abdomen). I had mono when I was in the 10th grade. You don't necessarily get it form just kissing although it is nick named "the kissing disease". You can also get it from someone by sharing a drink with someone who has it. The "funny" thing about mono is that it doesn't seem to run in (large) epidemics. Usually your body is under a lot of stress etc when you get it. I did not get the yellowness (that I can remember) or the rash and my spleen did not seem to be enlarged but I did get a terrible sore throat. (Not everyone gets all of the same symptoms even for the same problem!) I was told that once you get it you ("normally) never get it again.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Marilyn,

No, it was not mono. I was tested twice for mono and it came up negative both times. The doctors finally just gave me a broad antibiotic that got rid of it. I don't believe I have immunodeficiency diseases, although I do have hypothyroidism (treated). I have never been sexually active (no sexual acts at all), so I can rule out STDs.

As for the gas, I've tried gas medications like Gas-X and have recieved no relief. I just had a colonoscopy recently (so I've been emptied out...trust me ). Even if I burp or pass gas, there is no relief, at all. I don't believe it's my kidneys or female stuff because there is gurgling in my stomach? Pretty loud gurgling...and it doesn't move. It is on my upper left side and won't move..usually gurgling will like move through my intestines, but this doesn't.

My doctor is thinking about doing an endoscopy into my stomach and stuff to see if maybe I have a peptic ulcer or something, and then do some more bloodwork. I hope to get this figured out soon!

Thanks for your responses,
-Vers

Old 11-21-2006, 05:33 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

What you describe reminds me of when my gallbladder went bad. it took them forever to figure it out because i was only 18 at the time. hope you feel better soon.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:43 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Hello Deeannek,

Thanks for your response; unfortunately, I don't have a gallbladder anymore . I had it removed when I was 18 as well. If I still had it, I would instantly assume that's what it is...but unfortunately the options are running out.

Thanks again for the response.

-Vers

Old 11-21-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Hi Vers, you know that even though you've had your gall bladder removed, you can still make stones or have stones left behind in your bile ducts.
This has happened to me. My gastro did a procedure called an ERCP where they go into your bile ducts and cut a small opening to let the sludge and stones out. Maybe you should look into that also. One more thing, since I have a lot of stomach problems too, can it be pancreatitis? I've also had that 4 times and the pain is just awful. Most of the time the pain is located right in the middle of your gut. Just 2 things that I thought you might want to check out. Good luck. Linda

Old 11-21-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User

Have your Dr's checked you for Diverticulitis??? It causes pain on the left side, and can cause pain in the back. Bloody stools too if it's bad enough. Fever, ect......

Sid

Old 11-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

Linda,

Thanks for the responses . I didn't have stones previously in my gallbladder, it was a congenital defect where the opening wasn't wide enough to empty out the bile and my gallbladder swelled up huge. Could it still make stones even if I didn't have any before? I really don't know myself. How do they do the ERCP? Is it an outpatient procedure?

What all symptoms did you have with your pancreatitis? I know the pain obviously, but what else? Oh, and I've been having these problems for about two months now, so I don't know how long pancreatitis can last? I'm sorry, I know I'm asking a lot of questions. I revisit my doctor on the 28th (he's on vacation this week ). So hopefully he can do some more tests to figure this out.

Stick,

I've read about diverticulitis, but that is diagnosed through colonoscopy right? I just had a colonoscopy and he didn't find anything down there but a couple irritated hemmoroids, nothing else he said. I'm really just trying to get a feel for possibilities so I can be prepared for whatever the diagnosis might me.

Thanks both of you.
Hopefully I can get this figured out soon before I go crazy!

-Vers

Closed Thread