It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
(female)

catlady123 HB User
Could i be allergic to salt on my arms

I was thinking since its only itching on my arms that maybe a person could be allergic to the salt in their body or if its a disease. if i take a shower and scrub my arms i dont itch till maybe an hour after. so that would give my skin time to get the salt on it. i cant afford to go to a doctor but would appreciate any help from here to start me on the right path.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User
Re: Could i be allergic to salt on my arms

I might be wrong but haveing salt form on your body is a symptom of CF. And you would need to get treated for it.

Questions do you feel good otherwise? Are you skinny? Do you get colds sick alot?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2006, 04:54 AM   #3
(female)

catlady123 HB User
Unhappy Re: Could i be allergic to salt on my arms

I have been getting alot of colds and bronchitis but have been told thats because i smoke. I am gaining weight but i need to go back on my diet.
The itching is only on my arms and mostly on my upper arm muscle and my lower arm muscle. I get little bumps and blisters and when i do i have to scratch them till they bleed or break open. I was thinking it could be something in my muscles but its only on my arms, no where else. And now my one elbow is getting stiff but i think its arthritis. I have carpal tunnel in both my wrists but when they hurt i wear my braces till it works.
Its the itching i cant stand.
And why would putting ice and vaseline on them make it stop itching. When its hot out or i get warm they start to drive me crazy. Thats why i love winter because the itching isnt so bad. Which is why i am thinking the salt on my arms is what i need fixed.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

it does sound like an allergy, but not to the salt in your sweat. That's so unlikely as to be darn near impossible. I have similar symptoms that are caused by a nickel allergy.

Hydrocortisone cream may help.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i too would find it almost impossible that you would be reacting to the salt in your own body.since this is actually just in your arms only,there could be a few possiblities.one thing that caught my attention was that you appear to have carpal tunnel?is this in both?you also metioned the muscles?this could very well be a 'neuropathic' itch?If you are having any sort of actual nerve affectation it is possible to have a host of really freaky things happen,trust me on this one.the neuropathic crap all stem from the nerve affectaion.this just creates or causes certain neuro symptoms called parasthesias to develop in some people.it all depends on the nerves and how they are being affected and how your body responds.i have an absolutely hidious neuropathic itch up kind of under both shoulder blades due to spinal cord damage.of course this just HAS to be in like the hardest to scratch areas in the human body.unfortunetly i also have a very painful condition in these same shoulderblades called central pain syndrome which feels kind of like having a severe econd degree burn that just never heals,which makes that area of skin horribly painful to touch and of course to actually try and scratch.i finally started using lidocaine patches on these two areas at the blades just so i wouldn't feel the itch anymore,this also helps tons with the pain too.

have you tried taking benedryl or just using hyrocort cream on your arms?you can also get the lidocaine in a gel form which helps kind of numb down the surface of the skin some.its not as effective for pain as the lido patches but for your particular needs,it would work much more effectively.

just the fact that the itch is to the point where you are breaking open the skin,along with having this just in your arms where you do have some confirmed nerve issues going on, really sounds like this could possibly be a neuro itch.you really should speak with your doc about the itching.there are other Rx types of creams that would offer you much more comfort and relief from this,regardless of the actual cause.but like i mentioned before,i really seriously doubt that your itch has anything at all to do with salt.but you DO need to find out the source of this agony so you can get it properly treated.i wish you lots of luck with this,i know how horrid a non stop itch can be.please let us know just how things are going.FB

Old 12-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Do other people have salt left over on there arm? I had a girlfriend that had CF and she would get salt on her body, and if she were to sweat it would seem that someone used a salt shaker on her. I got this of of a website for CF. I just didn't know if it is normal to have salty skin. How old are you? I guess i doubt you have this because you would have found out when your a child. But the salty skin worries me.

Diagnosis of cystic fibrosis

Having one or more of the common symptoms including:
A blockage of the small intestine at birth, called a meconium plug or meconium ileus
Salty sweat or skin<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Not wanting to eat, having little energy, or losing weight. This is sometimes called failure to thrive.
Inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis)
Unusual bowel movements. This may include diarrhea that does not go away; large, greasy stools; very smelly stools; or constipation. If the intestines become blocked, the child's belly may stick out and the child may not be able to have a bowel movement.
Breathing problems, getting tired easily during activity, or repeated infections such as bronchitis or sinusitis<<<<<<<<<<<<<
A cough that does not go away and wheezing

Last edited by adamace1; 12-18-2006 at 12:01 PM.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
(female)

catlady123 HB User

I really want to thank everyone for all their help. I am taking down all the information that i have been given and will check into all i can.
Everyone has been very helpful.
Thank you

Old 12-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I DO hope you go see your doc about this cat,really.something IS causing this to occur and needs to be found out,for your own sanity if nothing else.let us know how things are going,K?good luck,FB

Old 12-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #9
(female)

catlady123 HB User
Smile Re: Could i be allergic to salt on my arms

I have tried every kind of cream you can think of. I have even used bleach on the scratched skin to make it stop itching.
I am a veteran and trying to get an appointment with the va doc is like trying to get blood from a turnip. And you see one doc to tell him about the problem then he sends you to another one. The only problem with that is it can take months to even get in to see the first doc.
I have a appt in Jan but its in the middle of the month. Right now i have scratched the top part of my arms so bad they have little scabs all over.
I wish i could afford a civilian doctor. But i can only do what i can do.
I will keep you all in the loop to let you know what i find out but it may be awhile.
Thanks again.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
(female)

gdschillins HB User

I don't have CF but I am odly allergic to my sweat. I'm also allergic to the salt in the ocean and also react each time I take a simple bath. I deal with it. I'm not only scratchy buy my sweat will actually cause me to blister. Ocean salt and salt found in the faucet creates large pockets of hives. My doctors say that it's primarily because I have extra sensitive skin.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #11
(female)

catlady123 HB User

Well, its been a while but trying to get an appointment with a va hospital doctor takes a heck of alot of time. But, i finally got one with an allergy doctor. He has given me steriod ointment. Not the strongest one because he said the steriods could ruin my arms by using too much. I put it on once a day and it works pretty well. Sometimes i need it more but try not to over do it.
He seems to think that my medications i am taking may be causing my bumps and itching. So now i am waiting to see my main doctor to find out if either my cholesteral or blood pressure or my allergy pills could be doing it. The three main pills i have been taking for over 15 years and i may need new pills.
I dont get to see my main doc till june so once more i am waiting but with this new ointment i will survive. I still get the bumps and itching but those steriods work miracles.
Till later, thanks again.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Hi catlady: From what I've read, statins (cholesterol meds) can cause itching and rashes. ****** "itching and statins" and then talk with your doctor. Good luck and keep us posted

Old 05-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Sorry moderator, didn't realize I couldn't write that word

Old 05-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #14
(female)

catlady123 HB User

Ill be back in june when i find out for sure. hopefully it is my cholesteral pills.

Closed Thread