It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
(female)

cnh0126 HB User
stomach burning

good morning, my husband has been suffering from intense stomach burning since november, 2006. he has had several tests done including ct scans, ecg, colonoscopy, xrays, tons of labwork and no doctor can detect what the problem is. the pcp thought it could be ibs or some sort of gastric disorder but no antacids seem to help his condition. he has been on pepcid, prilosec, protonix, nexium, nothing works. doc has referred him to a gi doc who has scheduled my husband for an eus (endoscopy ultrasound). they think it could be chronic pancreatitis. he has been referred to a pain mgt doc who has prescribed 5mg of oxycodone, taking two tabs every 6 hours as needed for pain. he originally had been prescribed methodone but pain mgt doc states the withdrawal from that is worse. my husband also has hep c but liver enzymes test appear to be normal. please tell me what you think or if you've had this same problem. thanks.

Last edited by cnh0126; 05-04-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: needed input from other members

Old 06-01-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
(female)

Sisty HB User
Re: stomach burning

Can you let me know what they found. I have had stomach issues burning stomach pain in the center of my upper stomach and under my ribs to the right and left and radiating to the back. I have had endoscopy, colonoscopy, Ultrasounds, CT with contrast, HIDA scan, ful bloods 3 times, 2 ER visits, small bowel series, everything is normal. I was worried about chronic pancreatitis they keep saying no. Can you let me know what they found in your husband? Also does he have any other symptoms. I have pain everyday the Nexium has helped with the burning part but not the pain. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks Sisty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
(female)

cnh0126 HB User

Hi Sisty, sorry to hear you are suffering as well. my husband had the procedure and no signs of chronic pancreatitis was there. in fact, the doc stated that every organ in his body was fine, that i would have to deal with the fact that he is a chronic pain sufferer. from there we went back to the pain mgt doc who prescribed ms contin which did absolutely nothing. he has since had his meds changed to the fentanyl patch, 25mg. the patch helps although he still has to use the 5mg of oxycodone as break through meds. he still can feel the stomach burning/gnawing but not as severe. we recently went to the pcp who has ordered more labs, hopefully results will be in tomorrow and we also have an appt scheduled with a johns hopkins g.i. doc n august. i know august, right!!! i am really considering holistic medicine but will seek acupuncture for some assistance. the conventional meds does not seem to be working and all this switching from this med to that med is becoming tiresome and costly. i am hoping that an alternative form of treatment will be the key. please let me know how you make out with your future tests. be blessed!

Old 06-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
(female)

Sisty HB User

Thank you for your reply. I too have had nothing resolved. I had a 2nd CT with contrast, full bloods and an MRI of the spine that showed 2 bulging discs and a torn disc. I am waiting on my next Dr' s appt. Let me know what happens at John Hopkins. My Dr also wants me to go to the Mayo Clinic? I am still concerned about chronic pancreatitis. It is good to hear your husband does not have it. Let me know if you get any resolution.
Keep well
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnh0126 View Post
Hi Sisty, sorry to hear you are suffering as well. my husband had the procedure and no signs of chronic pancreatitis was there. in fact, the doc stated that every organ in his body was fine, that i would have to deal with the fact that he is a chronic pain sufferer. from there we went back to the pain mgt doc who prescribed ms contin which did absolutely nothing. he has since had his meds changed to the fentanyl patch, 25mg. the patch helps although he still has to use the 5mg of oxycodone as break through meds. he still can feel the stomach burning/gnawing but not as severe. we recently went to the pcp who has ordered more labs, hopefully results will be in tomorrow and we also have an appt scheduled with a johns hopkins g.i. doc n august. i know august, right!!! i am really considering holistic medicine but will seek acupuncture for some assistance. the conventional meds does not seem to be working and all this switching from this med to that med is becoming tiresome and costly. i am hoping that an alternative form of treatment will be the key. please let me know how you make out with your future tests. be blessed!

Old 06-22-2007, 06:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I had this and finally had an endoscopy after all the other tests and many ER visits where they found "nothing" wrong. Turns out I have severe gastric erosions and ulcers in my stomach. This was causing the burning pain. I had no other ulcer symptoms. I hope this helps!

Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Also, this is going to sound too simple.....Has he been checked for a hernia? When I first developed one, I had burning pain and soreness. This pain can be chronic for some people. Have him checked for hernias.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

I have the stomach burning and pain in the mid section to the back. My doctor put me on Prevacid yesterday. I had an awful attack last night that lasted 3 hours. I was going to the E.R. but it was better before I made the decision. I was 'wiped out' today. I'm hoping the Prevacid is the help I need since I just developed this a week ago. My diagnosis is Gastritis!

Old 06-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
(female)

cnh0126 HB User

Hi, my husband is still in pain but not as much providing he takes the pain meds prescribed by the pain management doctor. We went to an acupuncturist about two weeks ago who stated there isn't anything wrong with any of my husband's organs only that he is retaining some built of stress. He also gave him an herbal remedy. We still have the appointment in August with Hopkins but one of my doctors said he spoke to a colleague of his, who was a gastoenterologist and he also said that we may end up paying thousands and thousands of dollars in testing and procedures to find nothing... sounded like stress to him and this was before we went to the acupuncturist. Well, only time will tell if this is the cause. He has been checked for hernias as well as ulcers, nothing. It has been very discouraging not knowing what is going on but at the same time its good to know all of his organs are okay.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am sorry, but I would not take an acupuncturists word for it, that this is simply stress. You could miss something here if you just accept what people tell you. That can be dangerous. If it IS stress, you husband should get better by reducing stress in his life. Which is hard to do, by the way, when you have a undiagnosed illness. Is this stress greater than any he has ever experienced? Why now is he having these symptoms with stress? You can easily test this theory. Eliminate as much stress as possible in his life, and see if he gets significantly better.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
(female)

cnh0126 HB User

Hi, this is true. We are still keeping his appt with the Hopkins doctor. I really am interested in alternative medicine though. We even thought about a holistic approach, all of this medicine changing is not good either. After a while the meds doesn't even work.

Closed Thread