It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

rander5 HB User
Elevated CA-125 - what to think?

Hi All,

I'm new to the board, but was hoping to find someone that has experience with ovarian cancer as I am not sure where to turn here.

My story is that I had experiencing abdominal bloating and some just weird contracting on my right side where my ovary would be. I went to the gyn where he took a CA-125 and transvaginal ultrasound. The ultrasound showed some fibroid tumors, but nothing too crazy looking. The CA-125 test came back elevated to 42. We decided to wait 2 more months and take another blood test. At this point, it came back 70. He told me I needed a laparoscopy - which I had last week. The gyn tells me he does not see anything unusual on my ovaries but possibly some scar tissue which he cut away. I ask then what would cause the elevated ca-125 - he says he really is not sure and that we will take another blood test in 3 months. Of course this is scaring the daylights out of me. My question is, do I start examing other avenues, is this the beginning stages of ovarian cancer and I am just sitting by and waiting? Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
(female)

Suzi Q HB User
Re: Elevated CA-125 - what to think?

I have ovarian cancer. The best way to diagnose ovarian cancer is surgically so if the doctor didn't see anything when he was in there then you are probably okay. usually you wouldn't have any symptoms of ovarian cancer until the later stages and if you were in the later stages the Dr would have noticed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I just had a CA-125 done cause I have had swollen lymph nodes in my back and under my jaw fro months now and I've been on antibiotics for 3 weeks with no improvement.

CA-125 is not just for ovarian cancer. It is best known ovarian cancer, but having it elevated can mean that there are other malignant cancers, like in the endometrium, fallopian tubes, lungs, breast and gastrointestinal tract.
You can have a false positives from normal ovulation, endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, the first trimester of pregnancy, fibroid tumors, and other sources of inflammation in the abdominal and pelvic organs (liver disease, pancreatitis, etc). Also, cervical, endometrial, and other cancers (among them breast, colon, and lung) can inconsistently cause a rise in CA 125.

Since you have fibroids I think that is a good possibility that is why you have an elevated CA-125

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 07-21-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
(female)

rander5 HB User

Thank you both for the information. I swear these doctors make me crazy - I wonder why he couldn't have given me all of that information instead of letting me sit here and go crazy.

I wish you both the best of luck with your situations and I will keep you posted on mine

Old 07-23-2007, 06:20 AM   #5
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User

I'm one of those people to put things off, but this is one time that I wouldn't wait around. Probably this is nothing, but why take a chance. I'd see another doctor for a second opinion. Ovarian cancer is a "silent" cancer and a lot of women are not diagnosed until it has advanced. The bloating is one symptom of ovarian cancer. Read Fran Dresser's book "Cancer Smancer" (probably spelling her name wrong, she's "The Nanny"). You'll kick yourself if it turns out to be cancer and you waited around while it advanced. And if it's not cancer...at least you have piece of mind.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi
Sorry for what you are going through.
I also had a CA-125 done which was normal.
You mentioned the doc saw some scar tissue?? That is most probaly Endo. I have heard (and I am stressing that I have heard) that Endo can cause your CA-125 test to elevate. I had Adenomyosis (Endometriosis Interna) and PCOS.
If I was in your shoes, I would also contact your GOP and discuss this with them as well. Are you comfortable with your OB?? You must be comfortable with him or her and trust them. I was comfortable with mine till I got real sick and he did absolutly nothing for me. I eneded up with another OB and had a hyst. Now I am fine. I was rel sick before.
I am not a doctor, but I wouldnt brush this aside. I would demand some answers !!!!

Closed Thread