It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

michie71 HB User
Angry Help, please! Pancreatitis with back pain (referred pain)

I'm new, so please be patient! I suffer from chronic Pancreatitis and usually have referred back pain. I forgot to make my appt with my DR and like most of you, my DR is out of reach.
Does anyone know of anything over the counter that might help until I can get back to my DR? My back is in excruciating pain (more so than abdominal).
I've spent 72 days in the hospital in the last 2-1/2 years and being by myself with my animals, I'm scared to go to the ER. They might admit me!
Any advise would be greatfully apppreciated.
michie71

Last edited by michie71; 12-30-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: mis-spelling/accidentally clicked on "Bad Post"

Old 12-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User
Re: Help, please! Pancreatitis with back pain (referred pain)

Before I had my gall bladder removed, I was admitted to the hospital with pancreatitis and also back pain. I think I was too far gone for over-the-counter meds. I had to have an N-G tube before I got relief. I would advise you not to eat anything, rest, and if you aren't better soon, you may need to go to the ER. Isn't there a neighbor who can look in on your animals? I, too, am an animal lover, so I understand the importance to you. I also understand your pain and there's nothing like it! Take care of yourself and let us know how you're doing. Surely there's a kind neighbor who will care for your pets.
Soibhan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
(female)

michie71 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I did end up in the ER on Monday...for 10 hours. As I suspected, my pancreas was inflamed, I had a touch of colitis, and an inflamed spleen.
My primary dr came in and saw me because the ER dr wanted me admitted immediately.
They gave me 4 of morphine and another 2 about 3 hours later. I'm embarassed to say, but, it hardly touched the pain. I let it go for too long.
I came home, cuddled with my pets, didn't eat or drink anything for 24hrs and I'm still having the same pain/symptoms.
I'm taking Cipro and Flagyl. I'm going on 4 days so hopefully I should get some relief soon?
Thanks again. It's comforting knowing that someone other than myself understands this "kick in the stomach" over and over and over...Take care of yourself!
Michie71

Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Be careful because you can go septic due to pancreatitis. I don't want to scare you and you said you are chronic but pancreatitis is very bad. The pancreas cannot filter due to the inflammation. I've also needed hospitzation whenever I had it. Had 3 or 4 days of iv's and no food at all. Just plain liquids. Good Luck and take care.

Last edited by Linda_in_NJ; 01-03-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
(female)

michie71 HB User

THANK YOU so much for your reply>
I feel so much better knowing that "someone out there" experiencing what i go through every day (not that i wish it on you)>
Thank you again>
I went to the ER on Monday and was septic. My primary finally came in about 8 hrs later and let me go. I have to go back tomorrow (Friday) and hopefully will "pass the blood work" (amalyse, lipayse), etc.) and remain home over the weekend.
I am so surprised there are so many out there that know what I'm going through. "Amazing".
Michie71

Old 01-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
(female)

michie71 HB User

I had a "pic line" in my right arm...
I was hospitalized for a good 3 days or so, until the surgical staff came into my room about 4:00pm and literally "stuck my right arm out", sanitized it, and started to insert 3 ports.
I was terrified. I had know idea as to what they were doing and why they were doing it. The "surgical staff" had very litttle patience for me." They had many more important procedures to do during their shift.
As far as I know, according to my medical ID card, I have one port for access, one for fluids, and one for drawing blood.
Am I the only one completely clueless to this procedure?
Michie71

Old 01-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
(female)

michie71 HB User

I didn't get a G-Tube, but, instead they inserted a "pic line". Does anyone know if the pic stays in indefinately or does the hospital "remove" once you've been released?
I have a "medical card" stating the day of the pic line being put in, but, I don't feel the 3 ports in my upper right arm...Just curious in case last case senario I have to be re-admitted.
I surely don't want to have to go through that procedure again. Let's say and agree it was just a bit painful...
michie71

Old 01-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
(female)

michie71 HB User

Okay, very embarassing...as you know I suffer from chronic Pancreatitis which includes a general digestive system which doesn't work so well most of the time.
I went to the lady's room this am. I found blood and it seems that there was some "extra tissue" from my colon which I was able to wipe, take a hot bath, and although I can still feel the 'extra tissue protruding," what does this mean? I'm thinking about calling my primary, but, I'm not sure what it is or at least how to explain...
michie71

Closed Thread