It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

lalanotes HB User
Gerd?

For quite a while now, I have had chest pain...center, burning.... when I burp or relieve gas otherwise, I feel relief... instantly. Yesterday I had the case of my life... this time I could not burp or expell gas. I was in intense pain and (was traveling) pulled to the side of the road to use the restroom. I forced myself to vomit... and felt a little relief. I took my children and myself to a motel because I could not continue our 2 hour commute. I have learned over time, that a pounding shower helps the internal air to rise (kind of like burping a baby) so I took a shower. That helped for the time I was in the shower.. got some rest... did the same thing two more times throughout the night. It is now the next day... I still have chest pain ... but I can burp and expell gas. Is this GERD? Is there something I can do... or stop doing that will relieve these symptoms? This time I was afraid... and almost went to emergency. It was extrememly painful. Thanks for your time and kind response.
Lalane

Old 01-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Gerd?

Sounds like it might be. Try taking antacids. If that fixes it, great. If it helps only a little, there are stronger medicines that do the same thing, like prilosec. There are also lifestyle changes that can help, like eating small meals and avoiding alcohol and mint.

In any case, if it's bothering you this much, you should get it checked out. Might be GERD, might be something else entirely.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
(female)

cantwalk HB User
Re: Gerd?

lala, if you try antacids and they don't work, it could be gall stones. i was misdiagnosed with GERD for 3 months last year while ihad intense chest pains. they usually come 1-3 hrs after a meal. i went to the emergency 2 times and was sent back home with gerd the first time and the second time, they did an ultra sound and discovered i had gall stones and also had pancreatitis as a result. the pain i had felt like a heart attack. although burping temporarily made it feel better, i lived with intense pain for 3 months.
hope it's not as bad as i had it. good luck

Closed Thread