It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #16
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User
Re: elevated pth level with normal calcium

I am sorry for having so many questions for you kiki, I hope that you do not mind. What kind of heart arrthymia do you have? Does it skip beats or add beats or do you have a rapid pulse? Sorry to have so many questions for you.
Thanks so much.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #17
Inactive
(female)

kiki745 HB User

I do not mind. It beats faster sometimes and my pulse is fast. Do you have the same thing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #18
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

Thank you so much. I do not mean to keep asking you all of these questions. I do have a fast pulse. It developed Feb 2007 and still to this day we can not find a cause for it. I have all of the symptoms of hyperparathyroidism, but when my calcium level were checked here is what they were. These are the only levels that I know of that have ever been checked. I am trying to get the rest of my blood work from last year, but I have not been successful at getting it yet.
Aug 2007 - 10.1 serum calcium
One month ago - 10.9 serum calcium
The following week - 9.8 serum calcium, 5.5 ionized calcium, and 36 pth
The next week - 5.4 serum calcium
So, I guess like this blood work does not look like hyperparathyroid. But I have all of the symptoms, so I am really confused.
Did you have blood levels that went up and down.?
Thanks so much again.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

kiki745 HB User

my calcium ranged from 10.9 to 9.6, but my PTH levels were always high, usually around 160. The first endo I went to said because my calcium was basically normal that it was not hyperparathyroidism, but the second said it was and then confirmed it with scans.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

kiki,
Thanks so much again. I also forgot to mention that my last calcium I had taken was 10.2 serum calcium.
Good luck on your surgery!!!!!!
Let us know how you make out.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #21
Inactive
(female)

kiki745 HB User

thank you.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #22
(female)

GirlySoGroovy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki745 View Post
I have had elevated PTH levels ( in the 160's) for 4 months with 1 high calcium level and the rest normal. My vitamin d level was low and I took 8 weeks of vitamin d supplements. My pth level is still in the 160's but the doctor is not concerned as my calcium level is normal. Should i worrt
Hi Kiki...

If your PTH level is 160, you have an adennoma on your parathyroid, no matter what your calcium level is. If your doctor is saying don't worry about it, find another doctor. Because your PTH level is high, your bones are constantly releasing calcium. Have you had a DEXA scan to see what your bone density is? I ask, because here is my story:

In the spring of 2006, my PCP discovered a slightly elevated calcium level during a routine well-woman lab test. She ran another test to check my calcium levels and my PTH levels to see if I had hyperparathyroidism. My PTH levels came back at 105. She sent me to an endo who did an ultra sound and found a tumor on my lower right parathyroid. He ran another lab test. The test came back normal. Every test since the first abnormal test came back normal--calcium and PTH...even though I had a growth on my parathyroid. I had the tumor removed at the beginning of this month. I went in believing the tumor was benign, because my PCP, endo and endo surgeon believed it to be, because my lab results weren't off the chart, as maligninant parathyroid tumors are. Well, I was a fluke. My tumor was cancerous. I may be the only person in America this year to have this form of cancer, because it is that rare. I am not writing this to scare you, because the probability of you having parathyroid cancer IS EXTREMELY SMALL. However, you need to find another doctor and/or have an ultra sound or sestamibi scan. The tumor is there; you just have to find it and have it removed. If not you will develop osteoporosis. (I lost 13% of my bone density in one year, even though my tests were normal.) Also, abnormal calcium levels are not good for your heart or kidneys.

If you live in the Dallas area, I can give you the name of an excellent endocrine surgeon, who understands it is not a matter of "if" the tumor will harm your body but a matter of "when".

If you are worried about the tumor being cancerous, the cancer is VERY slow growing. I had half my thyroid, my thymus, some lymphatic tissue and nodes removed and none showed the signs of the cancer spreading. Yippee!

Parathyroid disease isn't a very common occurence, so doctors aren't as well versed as they should be. However, there is a doctor out there who can help you. Just actively search for her.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySoGroovy For This Useful Post:
AOLFAN (07-06-2012)
Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

GirlSo Groovy, How high was your calcium. My PTH was normal at 27 but my serum calcium was 10.3 and ionized calcium was 1.35 (1.17-1.32). My doctor says there is no parathyroid disease because the PTH is not elevated even though I have a lot of the symptoms. I had an ultrasound for my thyroid and a CT scan but there was no mention of anything in relation to the parathyroids. Do you know if they show up on a regular CT scan? Thanks for your help. Hoppy

Old 03-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #24
(female)

GirlySoGroovy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopalong_too View Post
GirlSo Groovy, How high was your calcium. My PTH was normal at 27 but my serum calcium was 10.3 and ionized calcium was 1.35 (1.17-1.32). My doctor says there is no parathyroid disease because the PTH is not elevated even though I have a lot of the symptoms. I had an ultrasound for my thyroid and a CT scan but there was no mention of anything in relation to the parathyroids. Do you know if they show up on a regular CT scan? Thanks for your help. Hoppy
My calcium levels weren't more than a tenth or two out of normal range.

The ranges are set by each lab, so your result of 10.3 may be acceptable. Was it flagged on your report? If not, it is normal.

From what I understand, a CT scan is not the preferred scan for locating a parathyroid adenoma; a sestamibi scan is what most doctors recommend. However, I am totally a layperson, so a CT scan may be able to spot it, too.

What symptoms do you have? I didn't have any--no aching bones, my blood pressure was high way before I was diagnosed with the tumor, and my mind was mush because I have four kids who make me nuts. :-) I was fortunate to have a really good doctor who noticed an abnormality in my lab work and diligently worked to make sure it wasn't something to take lightly. Obviously, it wasn't.

It must be frustrating to feel so poorly and not know why. I hope you find the reason you don't feel well, so you can get back to feeling normal.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #25
Inactive
(female)

kiki745 HB User

I did find another doctor who did a scan and found the tumor and I am scheduled to have it removed this tuesday. While she was doing the ultrasound she found a nodule on my thyroid that looked suspicious (thyroid cancer runs in my family) She will biospy it while she is removing the adenoma. Thanks for your advice!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #26
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

kiki745,
how did you make out with your surgery?
I am finally getting into an endo for my high calcium. But my appointment is not until June 10th, but oh well.
Let us know how you are doing. Is Dr. Norman doing your surgery?
mmee

Old 04-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #27
Inactive
(female)

kiki745 HB User

mmee
thanks for asking. My surgery went very well. My calcium level is normal and my pth is almost normal now. I am not even a week post surgery and I already feel as if I have more energy. I know June seems a long time away as I have been dealing with this since last August, but hopefully you will get to the bottom of your problem them and will start feeling better
kiki

Old 04-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #28
(female)

MacyMaid HB User

Hi there. In 2006, my thyroid doctor ran a PTH and Calcium and D tests along with the thyroid tests. The vitamin D was in the cellar and the PTH was 125. Calcium normal as was the Ionized calcium. Went to MD Anderson for a study on this and the 4D CT scan showed a lower right parathyroid adenoma. The sestamibi scan showed the adenoma but the Ultrasound did not. I was told that Neck Ultrasounds are not suppose to pick up these tiny pea sized Parathyroid tumors. I was not happy at MD Anderson so I went to another large place and they repeated the sestamibi test, ultrasound and blood work. I Loved the radiologist at the new place as he came in and talked with me and was very with it. He doubted very much that I had a Parathyroid adenoma but he did pick up two thyroid adenoma's.....The ultrasound did not show anything wrong with the parathyroid but did pick up the two thyroid adnomas that he saw on the Sestamibi scan. The new blood work ALL came back normal. The vitamin D was 35, the PTH was 60 and the calcium was 9.2. So, I am in a holding tank right now. I saw the surgeon today and he does minimally invasive surgery for both of these. I found his name on another site where women loved him and I love him too. He is first class. He said we are in a wait and see period. I see the Endo next month, again. I would love to know if I do or if I don't have this. I have NEVER had an elevated calcium reading. I do have symptoms but of course these symptoms can be from anything. The surgeon asked me if i have trouble swallowing and if ther neck feels tight. Yes to both. Love to hear more. I have lost almost 2" in height in the past 2 years. But, is states only Mild Osteopenia.
macy

Old 04-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #29
Inactive
(female)

kiki745 HB User

Hi,
I had the stesmbi scan that show the adenoma. Even I could see it. The surgeon who removed the adenoma told me that often times when labs run PTH levels at the same time as calcium the calcium comes back normal where as when it is run with normal blood work it will come back elevated which was the case with me. The first endo i went to did not seem to know this and was quick to say it was my low vitamin D levels causing the elevated PTH. I did a lot of research after that and consulted with a number of doctors at a number of very well known hospitals as well as internet research. After all of my research I went with an endo and an endo surgeon at JMH/Sylvester Center in Miami. After the fact I wanted to double check some info my surgeon gave me so I emailed someone who has an internet site dedicated to this issue and the site says it is the best place to be treated for this condition and I am going to cut and paste exactly what the doctor who holds himself out as the worlds expert on this issue responded to my questions

"I have no relationship with you. I am not your doctor.
How the hell am I supposed to know what your parathyroid hormone level is supposed to be?

I wasnít in your neck.

ASK THE SURGEON WHO HAD HIS HANDS IN YOUR NECK WHAT YOUR PARATHYROID HORMONE IS SUPPOSED TO BE.

How presumptuous of you to waste my time. Ask they guy who took your money and for whom you laid on a table and let him cut you open. Why ask me? And thenÖ to attack me because I have no idea as how to answer your question? How am I supposed to know what your surgeon did?

Now you know why people come hereÖ so they get cured and donít have to ask somebody else what is going on.

You made your decision. Itís yours to live with. "

Needless to say I was so glad that I did not fall for the internet hype and I went to the well know hospital instead of falling for an internet ad

As far as symptoms, I had everything listed everywhere so it was so nice to hear that there was a reason for it and I do feel 95% better after only two weeks since I had my surgery (minimally invasive). The only thing I did not have is the bone loss and the doctors were surprised by it given the blood levels I had and the fact that osteoporosis runs in my family. I really believe it is because I have always done weight bearing exercise and have done Pilates for 6 years. After 1 year of Pilates my height went up and inch and a half which I was thrilled with as I am short.
I hope you get answers and if your original scan showed the adenoma then you must have it and need to get it removed. Good luck to you

Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #30
(female)

Curious2013 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacyMaid View Post
Hi there. In 2006, my thyroid doctor ran a PTH and Calcium and D tests along with the thyroid tests. The vitamin D was in the cellar and the PTH was 125. Calcium normal as was the Ionized calcium. Went to MD Anderson for a study on this and the 4D CT scan showed a lower right parathyroid adenoma. The sestamibi scan showed the adenoma but the Ultrasound did not. I was told that Neck Ultrasounds are not suppose to pick up these tiny pea sized Parathyroid tumors. I was not happy at MD Anderson so I went to another large place and they repeated the sestamibi test, ultrasound and blood work. I Loved the radiologist at the new place as he came in and talked with me and was very with it. He doubted very much that I had a Parathyroid adenoma but he did pick up two thyroid adenoma's.....The ultrasound did not show anything wrong with the parathyroid but did pick up the two thyroid adnomas that he saw on the Sestamibi scan. The new blood work ALL came back normal. The vitamin D was 35, the PTH was 60 and the calcium was 9.2. So, I am in a holding tank right now. I saw the surgeon today and he does minimally invasive surgery for both of these. I found his name on another site where women loved him and I love him too. He is first class. He said we are in a wait and see period. I see the Endo next month, again. I would love to know if I do or if I don't have this. I have NEVER had an elevated calcium reading. I do have symptoms but of course these symptoms can be from anything. The surgeon asked me if i have trouble swallowing and if ther neck feels tight. Yes to both. Love to hear more. I have lost almost 2" in height in the past 2 years. But, is states only Mild Osteopenia.
macy
Why were you not happy at MD Anderson? Would you mind saying who your doctor was? It is okay to list a name. And who is this new surgeon? For what it is worth I have lost 2" in height and do not even have osteopenia. I just have damaged discs.

Closed Thread