It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
(male)

raggs008 HB User
Stomach Pains and Vomiting After a Night of Drinking

Hello,

I am a 21 year old male. I started drinking socially a few years ago and I have never had a problem with vomiting or stomach pains unless I drank too much.

About five weeks ago, I had a late night, consuming quite a lot of drinks. The next day I was vomiting all day. This was the first time I had ever vomited the day after drinking. Then, about two weeks later, I had a good amount of drinks and the next day I was vomiting even more. I was vomiting clear and yellowish/green liquid.

Now, whenever I drink, the next day my stomach is in excruciating pain. When I drink a lot, I always vomit.

Has anyone experience anything like this or knows what is going on? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Nick

Note: I couldn't find a specific thread to post this in, but if someone knows of a better place to direct me, please do. Thanks

Old 01-28-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Stomach Pains and Vomiting After a Night of Drinking

this could be just the basic 'hangover' type situation going on,OR it could be a problem with your liver.i would defintiely see your doc about this and at the very least,have him run your liver labs for you and see if there could be a possible issue there.some people actually have liver or kidney(or both) problems that in some cases are passed on from a parent that has some level of a disease or condition going onthat just never really showed itself in them but is showing up in you.i went til age 40 never actually having a clue that i was born with polycystic kidney disease with liver involvment til my son became very very ill with a huge liver problem.then i was tested and found to also have it,only not as extreme as he did.there are just different types of underlying liver and kidney conditions out there that a person can have all their life and never know about til it either presents itself(like could be occuring with you right now)or it just gets picked up during another type of CT or ultrasound where it just shows.

since this symptom keeps reoccuring it just really needs to be followed up on.it could just be a certain sensitivity to alcohol itslef or something in the alchol too that just does not agree with you.either way,you really should bring this to your docs attention so he can just run some simple tests on you.better safe than sorry ya know?any level of possible liver or kidney issue just really needs to be ruled out.just see your doc.good luck,hopefully this is just your particular reaction to alcohol and nothing more,but you DO need to know for sure.please let me know just what you find out,K? FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

I was thinking more of a gastritis from the alcohol. When it is green you are vomiting so hard that bile is coming up from your small intestine.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
(male)

raggs008 HB User

FB: Thanks for the tip. I will let you know what I find out.

Sannah: Is there an easy remedy here? Will it fix its self or will I have to go to a doctor and put on antibiotics?

Thanks

Old 01-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gastritis can be from irritation so you wouldn't need an antibiotic. If this is what is going on I would want to know why your stomach gets irritated from alcohol unless it is simply the amount of alcohol that you are consuming and then you know what you would need to do for that.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
(male)

raggs008 HB User

OK that makes sense...

I think the amount of alcohol consumed definitely has something to do with it. When I only have a few drinks, the next day my stomach is just in pain. When I drink a lot, that is when I vomit the next day.

It's weird though because I had never vomited the day after drinking before a month ago, and here I have already done it three times this month.

I was talking to one of my friends who is a pre-med student. Obviously he does not have all the knowledge a doctor would, but he thinks it could be an issue with the pH balance in my stomach. He said that it's possible that I have been drinking so much recently that my body automatically tries to compensate for the acidity of the alcohol, thus making my stomach basic. Then, the next day, when I am not drinking, my stomach is still trying to make my stomach more basic, and the pH level gets too high. I really have no idea how credible that is, but is that possible too?

Thanks for the input agian.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know anything about that theory.

Maybe when you drank too much the first time that your stomach got really bad, this is when you started with a gastritis and it just hasn't healed yet? Then everytime that you drink even a little it is just too irritating because your stomach hasn't healed yet? Maybe rest your stomach for a bit and try not to drink too much when you do drink after your stomach heals?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Could be pancreatitis.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
(male)

raggs008 HB User

Sannah: That was my initial reaction. I have just been having trouble trying to figure out how long to wait. I waited two weeks, and then drank last weekend and the problem persisted.

Linda: If it were pancreatitis, would I need to get treatment, or will it heal itself?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Can you go to the student health service and get it checked out?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
(male)

raggs008 HB User

Yeah I could. Just never really trust the health center around here and I thought I would try and get some input from other people before I go in there.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Why don't you trust them?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
(male)

raggs008 HB User

Not necessarily just them, but doctors in general. Sure they went to medical school and know a lot more than I do, but that doesn't always make them right. This way, I can get multiple opinions from people and then talk to the doctor.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggs008 View Post
Sure they went to medical school and know a lot more than I do, but that doesn't always make them right. This way, I can get multiple opinions from people and then talk to the doctor.
I agree. You have to take your health into your own hands. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
(male)

raggs008 HB User

Thank you and thanks for you knowledge.

Closed Thread