It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
(female)

kafish67 HB User
symptoms of parathyroidism

Hi everyone
i have research quite a bit and have all the textbook info, just wanted to ask some real people. i have some severe pain in chest, am in the process of ruling out heart, lung, gastro problems. i also have numbness on chin, lips, hand and feet. i feel i might have to see a ortho soon, but someone suggested to me parathyroidism. did research and seem to have alot of symptoms. anyway, i am 40, have hypothyroidism for which i take synthroid. recent blood work showed normal tsh. i had radiation therapy to head and neck area 5 years ago which caused my thyroid problems. i know they are 2 seperate things, but is there any relationship between the 2. could r/t be causing problems with my parathyroid as well, does a normal cbc test for calcium deficiency and pth levels. any answers would be appreciated.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Re: symptoms of parathyroidism

I'm not sure if the radiation therapy might render parathyroids nonfunctioning eventually, but if your labs show they are working, them somehow they must be. That doesn't mean you can't supplement with extra calcium and see what your numb hands, etc. feel like. When I got low calcium after surgery, popping a few Tums made that feeling do away pretty fast, like within 30 minutes. Have you had your vitamin D levels checked?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

kafish67,
How are you making out? Were able to eliminate some things off of your list?
I don't think that calcium is checked with a regular cbc, because I know that my doctor ordered that separtely. Mine came back high on Monday so I had to go back in and get the rest of the hyperparathyroid testing done.
Let us know how you are doing. And I hope that helps a little.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Would you mind saying how high your calcium was? Was it the normal Ca test or was it ionized Calcium? I just had blood taken today for ionized Calcium and PTH as well as B12 and Vitamin D 25OH along with the usual TSH, FT3 and FT4. My calcium has been high normal at 10.2 (8.5-10.5) and the Vitamin D low 19.9 (32-100) with supplements so the doctor figured it was worth checking as a lot of the symptoms are not in check with the thyroid meds yet. Just wondering what testing you had done? Thanks, Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 03-12-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

Hi, thanks for your post.
I am not sure yet how high it was. I got a call from the doctor's office on Monday saying that my calcium was high and she wanted to recheck it. So, I went and had my calcium rechecked as well as ionized calcium, and pth (parathyroid hormone). I will know this coming Monday, that is when I go to the doctors for the results of those tests and also I had to wear a heart holter monitor, so I will find out the results of everything then. I will post them on Monday.
I had my thyroid checked again too, but she did not say anything about that. I know the last time it was checked the TSH and T4 were fine, but the T3 was on the outer limits of high.
Do you have any symptoms, is that why yours was checked? I have so many symptoms that have been going on for a year. I am dizzy at times, have sinus tachycardia, vision distortions, sternum area hurts and burns all of the time, acid reflux, hypoadrenalism, myofascial pain syndrome, raynauds. I have what seems to me as a lump in my throat. It does seem to come and go. I also have esphogial and diaphram spasms. I am sure there are others, but that is all I can think of right now.-hahahaha

I also originally had my calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus checked, but the only thing she said about was my high calcium. Hyperparathyroid actually runs in my family on both sides.

Let me know how you are doing and if you have any symptoms, if you don't mind. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Hi, I'm sorry it took so long to reply but I don't have any answers until my appointment with the Endo next Tuesday. All I DO know is that my calcium is high/normal, my Vitamin D is low, I have positive TPOab and TGab and I finally found an Endo who is willing to treat even with a relatively normal TSH (low FT4 and low FT3). The other symptoms of being so fatigued (sleep 3-4 hours every afternoon and all night) and extremely sore muscles/bones in hips and thighs just are not being relieved! The other symptoms are the usual HypoT symptoms. I also have a lump in my throat but higher up (maybe a swollen lymph node?) or possibly a parathyroid in a higher than normal position (possible according to Dr. Norman). Dr. Norman lists 18 symptoms and says most people have 3 or 4....I have 12! This disease is known as "moans, groans, stones and bones....with psychic overtones". If it isn't this, I am stumped.

I hope to hear from you after your appointment on Monday. Hoppy

Old 03-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
(female)

jenn3 HB User

i just thought i would chime in here if you don't mind. I thought i had a parathyroid problem because when i was first diagnosed hypo and have hashi as well, the ultrasound showed an enlarged parathyroid and my pth level was high with very low vitamin d (it was 16). At that time i also felt a lump feeling in my throat (my thyroid was also enlarged at the time), but felt like my lymph node was also enlarged. Dr. started me on 75 mcg levothroxine, vit d supplement and cal supplement. It took a while for my vit d level to go up to the normal range (almost a year) i am now taking 3000 mcg daily along with my thyroid med and do not have the lump feeling anymore, do not feel like my node is swollen anymore and my pth level is normal for my last two labs and my last sono did not show the enlarge parathyroid either. My dr. is going to scan me again in 4 months, but i really think that the vitamin d deficiency had alot to do with the enlarged parathyroid.
good luck
Jennifer

Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

jenn3,
Was your calcium level high or low or normal, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

I finally got my results about my parathyroid testing today from my doctor. Here are the results and testing dates.
Calcium level:
August 2007 - 10.1
2 weeks ago - 10.9
1 week ago - 9.8 calcium, ionized calcium - 5.5 (outer most high of 5.6 considered to be normal) and pth 36

She told me that I did not have parathryoid disease because my numbers fell back down. But I have been doing alot of research on parathyroid.com by Dr. Norman and he said that that is completely normal for hyperparathyroid disease. Plus I have 2 relatives that have this disease and it is supposedly pretty rare. My aunt on my dad's side had the disease and my great-aunt on my mom's side. She still did not blink an eye at that. And said that she would test me again in 3 to 4 months.
So, I decided to call an independent lab myself, now I have to pay for it, the insurance company will not cover it. But I am having my calcium and ionized calcium retested.

Has anyone else ever ran into this problem or known anyone who ran into this problem? Please share any story about having symptoms of parathyroidism.

Thanks.

Last edited by mmee; 03-18-2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: number error

Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

mmee--I believe you can also do a 24-hour urine calcium level. It may add a new light into your picture.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

sue1234,
Thanks for your post. I wanted to state an error that I made. My ionized calcium was 5.5, not 3.5. Sorry for the mistake.

Closed Thread