It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
(female)

marcy27 HB User
Unhappy Hyperthyroid symptoms but test results are normal

I am wondering if anyone can help me. Thyroid problems run in my family, with my dad having Hashitoxicosis. I have thought something was off for awhilw now. Within the past 2 months though I have deveopled anxiety as well as light depression. I have difficulty getting to sleep and when I do sleep i never seem rested. I have also lost close to 20 pounds in the past 2 months. When all of this first started happening back in late December I went to a family Dr. Who tested my thyroid and that was it. Gave me drugs for anxiety and sent me on my way. I received a letter a week later saying all test came back in the normal range. With that news I thouhgt maybe this is normal and how my life is going to be...but I know better. This is not me and this came about out of the blue. Since then I have lost more weight. I am a small women anyway and to drop 17-20 pounds is alarming. I go back to another Dr. next week and am going to request further testing. Is it possible to have thyroid problems but tests come back normal? I just do not know where else to turn. I am tired of felling like I am going crazy. Can anyone with any advise help me? I would like to know exactly what I need to tell my doc to request for testing.

Advise please!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
(male)

Tranquillity HB User
Re: Hyperthyroid symptoms but test results are normal

Make sure that they check your adrenals as well, addison's disease (and other causes of low cortisol) can produce similar symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
(female)

marcy27 HB User

Thanks for that advise. I will ask about info on that on my next appointment.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Ask for free T-3, Free T-4 and tsh. Then ask for a copy of labs, just don't let them say normal, also you might ask for a TSI test to see if you have antibodies for Graves disease. Also with a dad with both hashi and graves, you no doubt have an autoimmune thyroid problem, I would guess. Do you have a racing heart and tremor of the hands too? Frequent bm's and a big appetite, but you still lose weight?

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 02-29-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Early Hashi's has hyperT times as well. So toss that in the blood pot o tests we are recommending. ACTH and cortisol is a good idea, along with TSH, FT3, FT4, T3 Uptake, Hashi's antibodies (TPOAb and TGAb), Graves tests (TSI and TRAb). And.. humm.. Have you tested your ferritin, D, B12, and magnesium levels?

That will cover your basis.

MG

Old 03-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
(female)

marcy27 HB User

Thanks for everyones feedback. I have printed out all of your comments and advise! I go on Tuesday for my appointment with my family doc. I will keep you informed for sure. I will note though that I do take a multi vitamen everyday along with a magneseuim pill 3 times a day? And it seems to help...Does anyone know why the magnesium seems to help ease the anxiety? I do have just a slight tremble in the hands as well, not to much. My appetitire is pretty normal...although when the anxiety is full blown I can not eat at all. Despite the eating I am still loosing the pounds....I amunder 100 now. Hopefully I will get answers soon. thanks for your help and support

Old 03-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

marcy27,
Hi, I was wondering how you made out with your testing. I have all of the exact same symptoms. I was diagnosed with hypoadrenalism and put on natural supplements by my doctor to bring them back to normal, but I still feel lousy: rapid heart rate and all of the other things. I too think that I have a thyroid condition, but I am waiting for the most recent tests to come back to see. I also have to go in for a holter monitor on Monday to make sure it is not my heart. I have already been through the cardio workup before. All was fine. This all happened for me out of the blue too, last Feb 2007. It was like one day I was fine and the next day (and ever since) life has been almost unfunctionable. I hope that you can find out what is wrong. I too was put on anti-anxiety drugs, which helped me forget about things for awhile but it never took away my symptoms. Then I was diagnosed with myofascial pain also so they kept me on the klonopin for a muscle relaxer. Somedays I don't know which way to turn. I am thankful that I found this board. Let us know how you make out.
Thanks.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Hi marcy and mmee. I empathize with how you feel. I have similar symptoms and my TSH came back normal too. I haven't yet had any more extensive testing than that. But I know that something just isn't right in my body hormonally. Sometimes I feel calm and great for weeks or months and then out of nowhere my body changes and my heart pounds and skips, i lose weight, i get highly anxious, and my whole body just feels "charged" or adrenaliney.

I've had my symptoms off and on for 15 years and never had extensive testing. I just want to know what it is that causes my body physiology to shift so dramatically.

Let us know what your blood work finds. I'll be curious to hear.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

Hi timber,
I know exactly what you mean. Somedays it is better than others and there is no one thing I can pin point to bring on or keep symptoms away.

My doctor called me on Monday and apparently my calcium level did come back high. So, I had to go back and get some more blood work done, calcium, ionized calcium, and parathyroid hormone. I will know the results of those tomorrow. I guess she is leaning towards hyperparathyroidism now, but we will see. It actually does run in my family on both sides.

She did not say anything about my thyroid tests, so I guess that they came back okay, but I will find out tomorrow.

I will post my bloodwork when I find it out tomorrow.
Also- did you ever have your calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus levels checked for hyperparathyroid? My understanding is that that is not something that is normally checked unless there is a reason.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

Hi marcy27,
I was just wondering how you made out at the doctor's and if you found out anything new?
I have alot of the same symptoms as you do and this week I just found out that my calcium level is high and I had to be retested. I will find out more tomorrow, the results.
Did you have your calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus levels checked for hyperparathyroid?
Alot of the symptoms that I am having is listed for hyperparathyroid too. You can look up the symptoms at parathyroid.com and see if you are having any of those symptoms too.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

I finally got my results about my parathyroid testing today from my doctor. Here are the results and testing dates.
Calcium level:
August 2007 - 10.1
2 weeks ago - 10.9
1 week ago - 9.8 calcium, ionized calcium - 5.5 ( with the outer most limit of high being 5.6 in the normal range) and pth 36

She told me that I did not have parathryoid disease because my numbers fell back down. But I have been doing alot of research on parathyroid.com by Dr. Norman and he said that that is completely normal for hyperparathyroid disease. Plus I have 2 relatives that have this disease and it is supposedly pretty rare. My aunt on my dad's side had the disease and my great-aunt on my mom's side. She still did not blink an eye at that. And said that she would test me again in 3 to 4 months.
So, I decided to call an independent lab myself, now I have to pay for it, the insurance company will not cover it. But I am having my calcium and ionized calcium retested.

I just don't understand why I could not be retested right away, seeing that I had 1.1 swing in 7 days.
Please share any stories or any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by mmee; 03-18-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: number error

Closed Thread