It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
(male)

A1B2C3CAL HB User
Question Would appreciate opinions and help.

When I was 21 I woke from a nap and had very bad stomache pains. Since I had been to a pizza party earlier in the day I just thought it was all the pizza I had eaten and went to the bathroom. As I sat the pains got worse and I started to sweat alot after a few minutes the pain was so bad I couldnt stand and was almost blacking out. I managed to crawl to the phone and dial 911...by this time the only way I could breathe was in short bursts kind of like when women are giving birth. If I took too deep a breathe the pain was terrible.

I blacked out and the next thing I heard was the paramedic talking to me asking me questions. After laying in the ER for a shortwhile and puking profusely the Dr gave me some morphine for the pain and the next thing I know I woke up a few days later in a hospital room with a morhpine drip and a tube through my nose down into my stomache. The dr was still running tests but they said they thought it was a bout of pancreatitis. They asked me what my diet was like and if I had any health problems but I was pretty healthy at that time.

I told the Dr I partied, drank alot and took vitamins for weight lifting and sports etc. To cut a long story short I was in the hospital a week and lost alot of weight...on my leaving the dr told me to stop putting toxic things into my body and from then on I listened and stopped drinking and taking vitamins etc. I am 39 now and havent had a drink since.

My question is I would like to socially have a glass of wine or beer now and again but am scared to have another bout of pancreatitis. It was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life and would never want to go through it again. Would having a social drink evryonce in awhile trigger the pancreatitis to come back?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Would appreciate opinions and help.

The only way to know for sure would be to give it a try. I don't think anyone could give you a definite answer. It seems if you had serious problems with your pancreas something would have triggered it again before this time. Perhaps the overindulgence at 21 was too much for your system and a beer or glass of wine now might not hurt. Good luck.

Closed Thread