It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
HCTZ, Calcium, & parathyroid hormone levels

Just found out that parathyroid hormone excess which causes too much calcium in the blood can be a cause of hypertension. Another good reason for getting our bloodwork done especially if one is put on a diuretic such as HCTZ which causes a certain amount of calcium retention in the body.

My Endo wanted me to take extra calcium even though my blood levels were right in the middle. I reminded him that I was on HCTZ & ate a lot of high calcium foods so I didn't think it was wise to take the risk of getting kidney stones from too much calcium. What I didn't know then, was that it could of pushed my b/p up higher. It pays to read the package insert on all our meds & be mindful of the details. Also, check with your Dr. before taking any supplements.

My PDR says to get plenty of fluid intake when there is a chance of getting too much calcium to prevent kidney stones.

To be on the safe side since I already have thyroid issues, I think I'll ask for a parathyroid hormone level (parathyroid glands control calcium in the blood.)

Hypertension has such a wide range of causes. I hope the puzzle of all of it is found in my lifetime. Fam

Old 05-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
(female)

pemmy HB User
Re: HCTZ, Calcium, & parathyroid hormone levels

famnd
I was put on lisinipril back in Dec when I had an elevated blood pressure. I was on it for a month and bp went too low in January and my heart rate went up. I was put on metoprolol. After I had been on lisinipril, I had a blood test. My calcium level was high. In January, I had parathyroid hormone test and it was high. I have seen two surgeons. Now my levels are normal so have to have them retested in July. Since reading, I did find out not to take diurectics or calcium channel blockers for high blood pressure. I am on a low dose of metoprolol. I am 54 so don't know if my bp went up because of age, stress and anxiety, parathryoid, or who knows. If you go to the thyroid forum, there are some posts on parathyroid.

<removed>

Pam

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-10-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

pemmy,
Hi,
I was just wondering about the calcium channel blockers, are you not supposed to take them if you have high blood calcium? Do you know why? I was just wondering because I am toprol and have intermittent high calcium. Thanks.
mmee

Old 05-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
(female)

pemmy HB User

mmee Toprol is a beta blocker. I am on the generic form of it called Metopolol. I thought I read about the calcium channel blocker somewhere when searching on parathyroid. Pam

Old 05-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Thanks Pam. I'm on the thyroid board a lot but don't always post. I have thyroiditis with some nodules. I'm going to have my parathroids tested to. I'm also being tested for Fabry disease which can cause hbp. Fam

Old 05-12-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
(female)

pemmy HB User

famnd
What blood pressure med are you on now? I read your other post on what Cozaar did-so sorry to hear that. Thanks, Pam

Closed Thread