It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
(male)

Aliba HB User
right side - extreme side - stabbing pain

Greetings,

I have a pain in my side that is not constant. What separates it from some symptoms guides I have read is that it is extreme right side, not toward the abdomen, not toward the back. Exactly between the hip and ribs, and straight in line with the shoulder. Or, following a line from the shoulder if the arms are in the position of a soldier standing at attention.

The pain is a shooting/stabbing pain that varies in intensity. It feels just a little bit like a contraction, like something is shortening. The only cause for alarm in my mind is because some times it is so severe that it has literally dropped me to my knees.

Doctor has sent me for kidney ultrasound with no obvious outcome.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? What lies in the particular area that may cause that kind of sharp pain?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: right side - extreme side - stabbing pain

Gallbladder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
(male)

hermes370 HB User

Right sided pain, sort of between right flank and right abdominal pain, described as shooting/stabbing with a contraction/wave-like quality could be from multiple causes ... one of them being kidney stones .. but why the ultrasound .. U/S rarely actually visualizes a nephrolithiasis(kidney stone), for the most part it would be useful in assess the genitourinary tract for signs of obstruction from a kidney stone, not necessarily the stone(s) in question; ultrasound can best visualize the size of your kidneys, but more importantly the size of the renal pelvices(the area where the ureters attach to the kidneys) -- if these are dilated/enlarge(hydronephrosis) would suggest that something is blocking of the ureter(s)/bladder, U/S can also look at the size of the ureters(the tubes attaching the kidneys to the bladder) and if they are enlarged(hydroureter) that would suggest that there is a stone in one(or both - rare) of the ureters, ultrasound can also look at the size of the bladder, if that's enlarged it would suggest that somethings not letting your bladder empty(but if it were a stone, you'd wouldn't be able to pee and would be in bad shape)

ideally if you MD were worried about a stone, they would get a non-contract stone protocol CT(maybe a abdominal x-ray, but some stones are not visible on x-ray) .. by the way, did you have a urinalysis checked

but in terms of other sources of pain, there are other causes to consider .. any history of intra-abdominal surgeries ??? , you can have fibrosis of the retroperitoneum that could give you these symptoms ... gallbladder pain(e.g biliary colic) could do it ... would be quite an atypical appendicitis picture ... could have inflammation of some of your intrabdominal lymph nodes(lymphadenitis) ... an atypical diverticulitis picture .. some sort of nerve entrapment(compression of one of the intercostal nerves might cause this pain) or some sort of early mononeuritis multiplex or neuropathy, heck this could even be early "shingles" -- any rash in that area

best of luck

Old 05-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
(male)

Aliba HB User

Thanks for the responses. I'll see if I can shed more light.

Quote:
for the most part it would be useful in assess the genitourinary tract for signs of obstruction from a kidney stone
This reminds me. For several years when I was younger, late teens to late twenties I used to experience small chunks in the urine. Generally no pain but if they didn't make it all out before the end of stream flow some would stay in my urethra, dry up and hurt. I eventually found the solution was just to drink lots of water when this happened. I also had a report of prostatitis then for which I was recommded zinc supplements. Never been able to determine the trouble precisely, but since the right side pain began I don't believe I've had one instance of the stuff passing. It was rather chalky when it dried and could be broken between the fingers like dust when dry.

Quote:
if that's enlarged it would suggest that somethings not letting your bladder empty
I do frequently urinate. Well, if I am on my way to bed I'll stop at the bathroom downstairs, then go upstairs and have to go again, and usually one more time before falling asleep and maybe once in the night. Otherwise everything goes well in the daytime.

Quote:
by the way, did you have a urinalysis checked
I don't believe it was done with the pain symptoms. So no, not recently.

Quote:
here are other causes to consider .. any history of intra-abdominal surgeries
No surgeries there, no rash in the area. Has carried on for some time. Unpredictable. I do have scoliosis so the ribs are affected and I believe they are expanded on the right side so the last rib is closer to the hip than on the left side. But I am well aware of typical muscle pain and have pulled muscles between the ribs weight lifting in the past. THis is below that, but I wouldn't rule anythin out.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

galbladder or appendix

Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
(male)

Aliba HB User

Regarding gallbladder the first thing to note is that I am not in any of the risk groups.

As for symptoms, my pain is directly on the side, not toward the fron. If I lay down on my left side in the fetal position, the part that hurts would be pointing straight into the air, or zulu. I talked to someone with gallbladder and they said theirs hurt in the front, but radiates to the back. Mine is neither, it is dead on the side. If you drew an imaginary line through the pain, it would be parallel to my shoulders from left to right.

Third, the doctor who saw me never mentioned gallbladder, but he did suggest pancreatitis. Again I don't really follow in that risk group or have other symptoms.

To make matters worse, I have been having similar symptoms but much milder on the left side now which is making me think either kidney or colon.

Any ideas? Do these seem to collor diverticulitis, Crohn's or IBS?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

some galbladder dont hurt right where it is
there is so many things it could be
i hope you find the answer

Closed Thread