It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
(female)

pemmy HB User
Thyroid test results help?

I have posted on parathryoid threads before. I have hyperpt and am monitoring my calcium and pth levels for that for now.
I went to my endo dr and asked to do tests for thyroid. I always have had thin, fine hair but seems to be getting thinner. I was on a beta blocker for elevated bp and heart rate for 7 months but am off it now-doing okay so far. I had lost some weight earlier this year. I thought due to anxiety/stress worrying about myself and also my brother passed away. Last year, I had gained some weight and seemed tired, etc. Last Dec. I had ultrasound on thryoid-slightly enlarged and no nodules. I have been seeing an endo surgeon and endo dr for parathyroids. This last time I asked end dr to do tests for thyroid. I checked my labs online this morning. I hope dr will be calling me. It looks like anti levels are high. Does that mean antibodies are attacking my thyroid. Hashimotos? Thyroiditis? I have read before on thyroid and meds and really get confused. Any help will be appreciated. The numbers in parenthesis are ref ranges for the lab. I think I had the FT3 done so maybe that one hasn't come in yet.
Thanks so much, Pam

Calcium blood-10.2 (8.5-10.2)
Vit D-25 OH 29 (30-80)
Intact PTH 56 (10-65)
Thyroid
TSH 3.15 (0.300-5.00)
FT4 0.83 (0.50-1.20)
Triiodothyronine, Total 118 (80-200)
Anti-thyroglobulin 250.0 (0.0-0.40)
Anit-thyroid Peroxab 172.0 (0.40)

Last edited by pemmy; 08-13-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: I had tsh ref level wrong, corrected it.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
(female)

pemmy HB User
Re: Thyroid test results help?

I got a letter from endo dr today. It says my calcium, Vit D, and parathryoid levels are all in the normal range. My serum thyroid titers were positive. These results are taken to indicate that you have autoimmune disease thyroid disease. This is a condition in which the body has developed antibodies in an immune response against part of it itself, namely proteins with the tissues that constitute your thyroid gland. Please call for an appt to return to my office in 6 mos.

Okay, someone please help me on the thyroid. Don't I need to be getting this treated with thryoid meds? Do my numbers on antibodies have to be higher or what? Should I get a second opinion from another endo dr or find a good internal med dr or a good gp? I know I can email or call this endo to ask. I am hoping to get some advice from someone here. Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I have posted on parathryoid threads before. I have hyperpt and am monitoring my calcium and pth levels for that for now.

I went to my endo dr and asked to do tests for thyroid. I always have had thin, fine hair but seems to be getting thinner. I was on a beta blocker for elevated bp and heart rate for 7 months but am off it now-doing okay so far. I had lost some weight earlier this year. I thought due to anxiety/stress worrying about myself and also my brother passed away. Last year, I had gained some weight and seemed tired, etc. Last Dec. I had ultrasound on thryoid-slightly enlarged and no nodules. I have been seeing an endo surgeon and endo dr for parathyroids. This last time I asked end dr to do tests for thyroid. I checked my labs online this morning. I hope dr will be calling me. It looks like anti levels are high. Does that mean antibodies are attacking my thyroid. Hashimotos? Thyroiditis? I have read before on thyroid and meds and really get confused. Any help will be appreciated. The numbers in parenthesis are ref ranges for the lab. I think I had the FT3 done so maybe that one hasn't come in yet.
Thanks so much, Pam

Calcium blood-10.2 (8.5-10.2)

Vit D-25 OH 29 (30-80)
This shows you are deficient in vitamin D and need to get out in the sun a bit more.. 15 minutes bursts as well as add a vit D, vit K and Calcium supplement. I was 22 on your scale. I was told to eat to of the Viactive vitachews a day. Call and ask your MD/nurse what the best supplement is for you.

Intact PTH 56 (10-65)
This is normal and shows that you do not have a parathyroid issues.

Thyroid
TSH 3.15 (0.300-2.500)
This is the newest range as of 2006. The lab is behind the times. You are hypothyroid and given your antibody levels should be placed at least on 50 mcgs of synthroid. This is my opinion because I believe in optimal levels and proactive treatment of Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

FT4 0.83 (0.50-1.20)
You are at 47% here. This is suboptimal.. but not far outside of the 50-80% optimal window. This result should be fairly accurate FT4 tests have a 2.5-5% source of error in the results.

Triiodothyronine, Total 118 (80-200) This is a Total T3 it is an approximate measure of your T3 levels and there is a 20% error inherent in this test. So you are at 31% here. OPtimal is 50-80 % of the normal range as well. Oftimes T3 is artificially inflated in women. If you are on birth control pills/hormone supplements you need a FT3 for sure.

So looking at your levels 47% (+/-5%) and 31% (+/-20%) I think you would benefit from a bit of thyroid medication. That low T3 is really making you feel bad. I think you should also push for an FT3. So that you know where you are in relation to your FT4 more accurately. This is my opinion and the Endo may snort and ignore it.

Anti-thyroglobulin 250.0 (0.0-0.40)
Anit-thyroid Peroxab 172.0 (0.40)

These mean you have a nice active case of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Why didn't your Endo recommend 25 - 50 mcg trial of synthroid? I would call and ask if they would be willing to let you try a supplement given your symptoms.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 08-13-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
(female)

pemmy HB User

MG, I am more confused now. By reading, I thought when I heard from endo dr that I would be prescribed some medication. I received a letter from her a couple of hours after I made my first post. In it, it says, My calcium, Vit D, and parathryoid levels are all in the normal range. My serum thyroid titers were positive. These results are taken to indicate that I have an autoimmune thyroid disease. This is a condition in which the body has developed antibodies in an immune response against part of it itself, namely proteins with the tissues that constitute your thyroid gland. Please call for an appt to return to my office in 6 mos.

Okay, I already have an appt in FE when I saw her to check levels for the parathryoid. I had asked about having thryoid tests done. Now what I have read online about antibodies, etc. that I need to be on some med. Why wait 6 mos? This isn't going to get better on it's own, is it? Probably get worse? I am more confused and scared. I will have to contact her and ask. Or see another dr.

Thank you for your reply.
Pam

My calcium and pth levels were high last Dec/Jan. Calcium was 12.2 and 11. PTH was 150. I was sent to general surgeon by my pcp. I almost had parathyroid surgery. I was on a beta blocker for high bp and heart rate so was feeling sick from that. I went to an endo surgeon after that in March. My levels have dropped to normal. I guess they can flucuate. Now I am off the beta blocker and doing okay so far. That's why I have to go back to endo dr to check calcium and parathryoid levels in 6 mos. I am in TN outside of Nashville. I posted in January on finding a dr and you replied to me on that thread.

Last edited by pemmy; 08-13-2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Add more info

Old 08-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the autoimmune hypothyroid disorder. It will not get better. It is the condition where your immune system has been trigger and believes that the thyroid is a foriegn agent producing bad stuff. Every time your thyroglobin and TPOs are activated.. it is warfare. Your body is on a mission to obliterate all thyroid tissue. It can take months.. it can take years. It all depends on your body and thyroid health.

You need an new MD in my opinion. What is the name of the MD that you saw? How old are you? I have only seen Dr. Lakhani at Vanderbilt once. He is a TSH hugger, but also believes that the Ft4 levels should be in the upper range of normal. In addition if you are a female of childbearing age he believes in proactive medication of hashimoto's thyroiditis. So you can see if you can get in to see him. Also you can look up my MD in Chattanooga if you like. Dr. Natalie Johnson. She is an IM, but has done well by me.

Hashimoto's is not something to be scared of.. it happens. You now know what is making you feel like Cow Flop. Now you need treatment. This means you need to find an MD that is up on the latest TSH ranges AND willing to proactively treat Hashimoto's. Calling your current MD and leaving a message would be my step one. Ask if you can start trial medication given you have hashimoto's thyroiditis. After you here back from her.. then you will be at the Step Two.. should I cut and run and shop for a new MD.. OR should I stick it out and see how it goes.

I wish you the best of luck.
MG

Old 08-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
(female)

pemmy HB User

Thanks MG! I contacted my endo with my concerns through the website where I can check my labs, etc. Her reply was-<the calcium and parathyroid levels are OK both very normal given your age range. Antibodies to the thyroid are actually fairly common, about 40&#37; of women have them and only sometimes cause problems. I would be much more concerned if they were in the 1,000s. Why don't you return in three months instead?>

I guess I will change my appt to 3 mos. The dr I see is at Vanderbilt. I see she is in the same office as Dr Lakhani. My endo surgeon is there, too. It is frustrating for me as I am trying to keep on top of the parathyroid issue. I can not take calcium supplements but can consume 1,000 mg of calcium through food, dairy, etc. Also trying to keep bp down without having to go back on a bp med. Now this thyroid issue. I am 54 years old.
I understand what you are saying. I can't say I understand all the lab numbers, etc.
I will keep in mind about finding another dr if I don't get any help soon. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me. Pam

Last edited by pemmy; 09-17-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Closed Thread