It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
(male)

jshanl HB User
Thryoid removal

Last year my throid failed and I have been on various doses of synthroid since.Right now I'm on .175 and I feel like I did when the throid stopped working,weight gain,cramps,fatigue,etc. I saw an endo two weeks ago and said these symptoms are not from the thryoud as all my numbers look good except the TSH which is at .02,and that should make me hyper.She also did an ultrasound and said the thryoid is heterogenous and I have hashis. She also had me go see an ENT doc. I picked the ENT as he did sinus surgery on me 10 years ago. I saw him on Fri and he told me that he had thryoid cancer when he was in med school.That made me feel that he knew what I was going through. He is sending me to an Endo that he highly recommends in another town. He feels that the only 3 endos in our city only care about the numbers and not the patients. He is also recommending that I have the thryoid removed after I see the Endo.I think this is what I'm going to do.That will hopefully get the lump out of my throat and help my swallowing problems. He is recommending doing the removal in two stages,remove the right side first and remove the left side later. How does this sound to anyone. Any comments will be appreciated.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Thryoid removal

Why does he want to do two operations? Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
(male)

jshanl HB User

He said he would do it in one operation or two. He explained the procedure to me and talked about the possible complications with the vocal cords and the parathryoid.He said it was much safer to do it twice. Thats why I decided on doing it twice.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User

That's interesting. There IS less likelihood of calcium problems due to two of the four parathyroids not being touched with a lobectomy. But as far as less damage to the vocal cords, I've never heard that reasoning before. The thyroid gland wraps around the throat, so I would think having it done all at once would give you better odds at nothing going wrong. Do you KNOW if it's cancer? If even one side is cancerous, most surgeons will take out both anyway to stop the spread. Thyroid cancer is the easiest cancer to treat, but you DON'T want it spreading to lymph nodes. In my case, only one side showed cancer on my biopsy but the entire thing was riddled with cancer when they took it out. It's not that uncommon, about 10-15% to get the wrong result from a biopsy. If you are having swallowing problems, it sounds like your growth is pretty large. Have you had an ultrasound or a biopsy done, or are they scheduled?

Last edited by DR37; 09-28-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
(female)

mistygreen HB User

I think DesertRose 77 raises many fine points What about getting a second opinion? I would not want to undergo two operations. Getting a second surgical consultation, with someone who does this surgery often, might ease your mind. I pray for your speedy recovery!

Wishing you all the best. Misty

Last edited by mistygreen; 09-30-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Typo

Closed Thread