It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User
Xiphoid Process

Please tell me your story. For a while I have had pain in this area, but just learned today what the area is called.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Xiphoid Process

Are you sure it's the xiphoid process area? You keep saying it's in your back. The xiphoid is a small ring of bone and cartilage at the bottom of your rib cage in the front...the base of the breast bone. If that's where you hurt it could be anything from a gall bladder problem to gas to an ulcer. Haven't you said repeatedly that the problem is in your back on the right side and it makes it hard to breathe? Why now in the front?

Just trying to help you out but this is getting confusing!

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

Jenny, thank you for the reply, but I know I'm not the first person to have pain in more than 1 area.

I have had pain in the xiphoid area, but I've had pain in the RUQ wrapping around slightly to the back for a much longer time. I'm sure I have xiphoid area pain too. I went to a doctor today and just asked him "Where is the xipoid process?" Because if he would've pointed higher up in my sternum, then I would've been sure that this is NOT a xiphoid problem for me. But instead he pressed right on the spot where I thought it was. He also commented "You don't have much of a xiphoid process".

I was thinking maybe because I've lost weight and muscle mass that this causes me to notice my bones more through my skin (it's not drastic or anything, but I used to have somewhat well-formed pecs, and now I'm just skinny). This still may be true, but for no reason, I also have pain as if I've done 100 crunches.

I don't like posting so much on these boards or visiting these doctors, but I am narrowing things down. If I don't take advantage of all the possible resources afforded to me, then I only have myself to blame if I don't get abck to my normal self.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I understand, but the xiphoid process is just a little circle of bone and cartilage that goes up and down as you breathe. It really has no function. But what is of concern is that your pain seems to go through you from front to back...have you considered that? Perhaps it is one pain that is being felt both front and back.

When my gall bladder went I felt it on the left side in the front but it's actually on the right tucked up inside the liver. When they did a test that caused my gall bladder to empty, the pain it caused was right where I had felt it...on the left even though it was on the right. That's what my nervous system picked up. It's just like a male friend of mine had a strange pain in the center of his back that turned out to be a major heart attack. No chest pain, no squeezing, no arm pain...just bad pain in the middle of his back. He wasn't even going to go to the ER but he had this strange feeling that something was very wrong and went anyway. Lucky he did.

I just went through 2 major cervical spine surgeries but my main symptom was stiffness in my thighs. So I am now used to pain showing up in weird places. I have pain on my left side right now that goes right through me from front to back but goes from mild to severe and back again and no one seems to know what it is. Then again, no one has taken it seriously either. I tend to end that next week by pushing the issue...enough lolly gagging around!

Since you've been complaining about pain on the back right and now have pain in the front center, I'd suspect that maybe the same thing is causing it and is interior. There are a lot of organs in that area and any of them could cause pain that goes right through to your back and if it's like mine, sometimes it hurts in the back and sometimes in the front and sometimes both.

I'd find a really good internist and take all your test results and ask about an internal problem that could cause pain and tenderness going from front to back. Could be a big signal to a doc as to where to look. Not all organs can do that. Could be something as weird as an abscess on the diaphragm. That would even account for your breathing problems as well as the pain front and back.

Sometimes it just takes putting all the clues together and never forget that pain, it's type, when and where it appears and "goes to" is so important. Don't assume that just because you have pain in the front and back it's 2 different pains from 2 different things. It might just be the same pain and the link is being missed because you report it as 2 pains instead of 1 that goes all the way through. I know on the left, pain that goes all the way through is usually diagnostic of a problem with the pancreas(not with me however). I don't know about center and right(husband had pancreatitis not long ago and my father had it too so I recognize that pain). Come to think of it, hubby's pancreatitis was the only sign that he had gangrene in his gall bladder.....no gall bladder pain at all.

I hope my suggestions have helped. I'm trying to put together my own mystery right now that I posted on the infectious board. Beginning to wonder about a bone infection as the cause of my weird symptoms. I just don't know and neither do the docs so I come here too to see if anyone has any ideas.

BTW, there's a Trymester I see on another site...is that you???? I've answered you there too...same name for me too. I'm also a long ago New Yorker....family name is very common to anyone from NYC. There's this big prison on an island named for my family.........

Anyhow, I hope you get some answers and I hope you get some other responses. I've worried about you on both sites. Seems like you're not getting anywhere just as I'm not.

good luck and let me know about the pain...if it seems like 1 pain going through and through....might just be a clue.

Jenny

Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

Thank you for your reply Jenny. Believe it or not, even though I'm asking alot of questions, I have been narrowing things down. I

I do post on other sites as well, because some people have "message board loyalty" and there opinions and experiences may not be available on this message board.

I figure I will finish up my remaining appointments this month, and then if nothing comes of it, then I will just begin exercising again. The exercise will either: a.) Improve my health OR b.) Make things worse to the point where something is noticeable to the doctors (which will in turn help to improve my health). Because, since nothing is showing up as "life threatening", I need to just get back to my life.

Alas, I will give this month my last biggest effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to NYCman For This Useful Post:
kducat (11-07-2011)
Old 08-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

I completely understand your frustration as I'm in the same boat. My symptoms if taken one by one can all be explained by the different problems I have but if put all together, describe a very different problem but everyone chooses to look at them singly. But I figure sooner or later they will be too bad to ignore or go away one by one. I can't get in to see the one doc who I think is the key to this until October so I'll wait until then if by then it's still bad, I think he'll solve the problem one way or the other.

Good luck and keep looking for answers. We have to be our own best advocates.

Jenny

Closed Thread