It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
(female)

Cess HB User
pancreatitis???

Hi,
Well, I had stomach surgery 2 years ago. A single, large, diverticulum was stapled off on my stomach. I was in the hospital 9 days. Had injury to spleen and pancreas. Since then, every month, usually a few times, I get left side pain. Very bad. Right after surgery and for a month or so after, my lipase and amylase was always elevated. I am wondering if I am going to have this pancreatitis for life? The pain is on my left side, adjacent to my belly button, is this where the pancreas is??

Old 08-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Re: pancreatitis???

Pancreatic pain is usually felt right in the gut of your stomach but can be felt in other spots also. The pancreas is located under your stomach near your gall bladder and liver. Usually when your liver enzymes are elevated it does mean you have pancreatitis. I get it often. Doctor doesn't know why. But my last bout 2 weeks ago turned out to be stomach spasms. Hows your white count? That is usually elevated when you have pancreatitis. Feel better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

I want to jump in on this. I have had what was dx as gerd for 3 yrs. My dad died of pc last yr. In Feb I started to have upper left sided stabs--my lipase was elevated some and remains. I still have the pain that comes and goes and now belly pain and bloating. I had a CT, MRI, MRCP of other organs and EUS-all clear. My CA 19 has been slightly elevated with my lipase....anyone else with this situation? I have no diagnosis from my GI still, he said he doesnt think its pancreatitis since its virutally on going and said its highly unlikely its pc. Am going in for another EUS (which will be 6 months from last one) in a couple wks...

Old 09-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
(female)

RFF HB User

My husband is similar. He has had Left sided ab pain radiating to the back for 2 years. At first it would come and go, but is now constant and severe. Pain meds only take the edge off, for the past 3 months the pain has been constant. He had his GB removed and ascending colon removed due to a polyp found during a colonoscopy which was precancerous. He has had CT's, blood work, MRA, MRCP, barium xrays, etc. Nothing has been found. He is going in next week for the EUS as well. We are so frustrated that we can not find an answer. Good luck to you guys and any info on what it could be please pass it along. Thanks

Old 09-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Does he have any other symptoms? Has he had his lipase tested? The EUS is supposed to be the best viewing tool. Please let me know how it goes

Old 09-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
(female)

RFF HB User

His lipase was elevated two years ago when all this started, but not recently.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Good luck during your testing. I am very scared of mine seeing as my dad passed of pancan. Please keep us posted

Old 09-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

I am prone to having stomach spasms that feel like a full blown pancreatic attack. The pain takes my breath away and it's a steady pain that lasts for over an hour. Usually the white blood cell level is raised also along with all the other liver enzymes. I can't say where your pain is coming from but if it is pancreatitis, vomiting bile is also a sign. Good luck and I hope you find your answers soon. It sucks to be in constant pain.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
(female)

carriel777 HB User

My sister has had similar pain for at least 10 years. Many tests and operations. No diagnosis and still severe chronic pain. Pleas let me know if he gets a diagnosis.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-14-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 09-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
(female)

RFF HB User

Well, my husband had his EUS, endoscopic Ultrasound, and everything is normal. It is so frustrating that everything is normal yet he is still in so much pain. He has had every test imaginable for the abdomen and still nothing. I hope everyone has better luck. Please post if anyone gets a daignosis. Thanks and ggod luck to all!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Well, it is good news it is normal though, I pray mine is too. I am SO terrified I have pancreatic cancer.

Can you explain your hubbys pains more? Are they upper left sided with stabs of pain along with sometimes a bloated belly?

What were his recent levels?

Did the dr mention chronic pancreatitis? Sometimes that does not show on scans from what I have been told.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
(female)

RFF HB User

My husbands pain is left sided abdomen pain radiating to the back. It is like a sharp stabbing pain that never goes away. All his blood levels are fine. The EUS looks at the pancreas and the Dr. said his pancreas is great, no problems. Also looked at bile ducts, kidneys, etc with the EUS same story looks great. I am glad he seems to be healthy, I mean with all the tests they say he looks like he is in excellent health, but am still very frustrated because something is causing his pain. If only I had a crystal ball...

Old 09-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

I know how you feel. I had my EUS in Feb and was shocked (but HAPPY) that it was clear. My follow up is this Tuesday and once again I am scared they will find something horrible.

Even the EUS cannot detect chronic pancreatits at times, and lipase sometimes is not risen with it. This is from what I have read online as I have been investigating my own possibilities for many months now. However, my labs have been elevated.

The EUS from what I understand is suppose to be great imaging devise, but also not perfect

Old 11-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
(female)

lpinto HB User

hi my name is lauren i am 29 and have been suffering with chronic pancreatitis since i was 20 years old due to having my gallbladder removed. i was dx by a procedure called an ercp. u should ask ur gi dr about that. my pain is always on my upper right quadrant and shoots throuh to my back. i had a mini whipple done sept of 2008 to remove half of my pancreas and that gave me relief for nine months and started this july with flareups again. the only help is being hospilized and put on bowel rest and medication through ivs. i hope they come up with a dx cause i know how u feel. also if anyone around my age is suffering with this and has any advice for me please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
(female)

lpinto HB User

please help anyone out there in there late 20's who have delt with chronic pancreatitis for a couple of years with several abd. sx to try and fix the prob with no relief? i would really like to hear from someone my age. i am 29 years old and got this from having my gallbladder taking out and my pancreatic ducts being damaged. i even had half my pancreases removed to try and relive the issue that helped for about nine months than it all came back flare up after flare up nasea vomiting , pain only relief i get is to go into the hospital and be put on iv s and bowel rest and fluids. please give me some feed back.

Closed Thread