It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
(female)

plsadvme HB User
Post Continuous vomiting after surgery

My family member had surgery last Tuesday. He continues to vomit and can not keep any food down. Now, a tube is placed through one of his nostril to drain fluid (bile). Anyone had similar situation?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
(female)

karen275 HB User
Re: Continuous vomitting after surgery

What kind of surgery did they have? this info would very helpful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Continuous vomitting after surgery

i agree here,the much more info you can provide for us the better we can possibly help. i really am wondering about that tube down his nose thing? does this contain a whiteish colored substance? this would be the norm if someone could not hold down food and is in the hospital. they replace the patients nutrition with this white substance that feeds thru that NG tube and dircetly into the stomach. its just draining bile this way is not the norm since a tube would normally be placed into the actual bile duct thru a pretty minimal surgical procedure and an actual 'bile bag" left on the outside of the stomach with tubing to allow the bile ducts to drain that way, you know what i mean? my son had to have this done while in liver failure. he also had pancreatitis too so they fed him thru that NG tube down his nose which just gives them everything they need for proper nutrition that just does not allow the person to actually eat anymore, but this is how they just obtain what they cannot keep down.

this just sounds really kind of odd to me, but then again, anything IS possible depending upon the circumstances. do they have ANY real clue as to why the vomiting is even occuring? was this a gall bladder surgery? is there ANY actual problems going on in the pancreas? how is this persons labs running, anything out of range or not the norm right now? is this person actually vomiting UP bile in large amounts? i have just not heard of draining bile in the way you described, thats all. normal healthy bile is very dark golden in color, while unhealthy crappy bile is usually more very dark green or even black.

any added info would be most appreciated if you need help here. FB

Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Continuous vomiting after surgery

This tube (an NG tube) is commonly used to drain stomach secretions, and can also be used for feeding. However, if it is excess secretions (stomach acid and bile) that are causing the vomiting, suctioning them out through the tube can provide relief while the patient heals.

Closed Thread