It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
(female)

coping1 HB User
Frustrated and think I might lose it!!

Do any of you ever feel that if your doctors find or mention just one more thing, you might lose it? I have several autoimmune/infection issues that I am already dealing with. I went in to my PCP for right sided abdominal pain just below my ribcage that goes through to my back. After several enzyme tests were elevated he sent me to have an abdominal/kidney CT thinking I might have pancreatitis (I do not have a gallbladder). The CT was clear except it showed I had recently passed a kidney stone, which would have explained the pain if it wasn't still continuing.

So, next test was an endoscopy. It showed moderate to severe inflammation/ulceration throughout the prepyloric stomach and duodenum. Okay, they took biopsies and said this was probably irritating my pancreas.
Get the biopsies back and they decide that it is not the cause; that my excessive use of ibuprofen is to blame. I do take a ton of ibuprofren because I have been having daily headaches and pretty severe neck pain. Now they need to do a cervical MRI to determine the cause of the neck/head pain, so they schedule that for next week.

In the meantime my doc calls a GI doc who specializes in the pancreas. That office calls me today to schedule an MRPC for next week. I tell her I already have a cervical MRI sceduled for next week and she says "great, let me call and get them both scheduled for the same day"!

On top of all of this my PCP decides that I need to have a port put in (I have had 5 of them, but not any since 2000) because my veins are shot and it has been taking 6-8 sticks to get a vein for blood draws or any of my tests!

Oh, and before this last set of problems occurred, he had ordered extensive lipidprotein tests because my cholesteral/glucose/blood pressure is all out of whack. The results have come back but he says we will discuss them after we get all of the above straightened out. So, I figure that can't be good!

How do you all handle findings that just seem to escalate? I am tempted to say no to all of the tests, but I have a really high pain tolerance and have been known to wait too long for tests, etc. and end up in emergency situations. One part of me thinks "I know my body best", but the other part thinks "I really trust this doctor and if I am going to go to him I need to listen his advice". So far he has not steered me wrong, but I really cannot take much more!!

Any words of wisdom?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Frustrated and think I might lose it!!

I am sorry and yes I know exactly what you are feeling. Just remember you are in charge of your care and it if you feel that two really hard procedures is too much on the same day you can reschedule the second one. Or you can postpone until you have a chance to rest. I personally can only do one test at a time with a long rest between the two. Never feel you have to do it just because it is scheduled...they will more than understand your need to proceed at your own pace. The MRCP can be painful after so but that is just me. I have found that sometimes if I wait to do something it is then decided I didn't need to do it at all...the doctor decided on another way to go. It is all very frustrating and it is ok to stop and and just take a breather and go at our own pace. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
(female)

coping1 HB User
Re: Frustrated and think I might lose it!!

AnnD,
I know I can reschedule but my doctors feel the MRPC is needed immediately and I have had quite a bit of upper right abdominal pain.
I have been controling my neck/head pain with high doses of ibuprofen but now that I can't take anything that irritates my stomach my doctor has given me percocet. I do not do well with narcotics, so I feel like I need to find out what is causing so much pain in that area and figure out what to do about that.
I almost feel like that because the inflammation/ulceration in the duodenum wasn't causing me that much pain, I could continue taking the ibupfofen and deal with the head/neck pain later, but that is probably not smart thinking!
What kind of pain does the MRCP cause? Am I just trading one pain for another?

Closed Thread