It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
(female)

blueeyz HB User
Right Side Pelvic Pain for Over a Month

Hi. I am 38 years old with a history of ovarian cysts.

Laparoscopy at 22 - ruptured ovarian cyst.
ER 2005 because of a cyst that was causing pain and abnormal bleeding.
No family history of ovarian or cervical cancer.

Most recently been having right side pelvic pain for a little over a month. Saw my OB GYN for pelvic exam and pap last month. He said if pain persists a week after next period, he will order a pelvic ultrasound. So I called today and will be scheduling an ultrasound. My pelvic exam was normal and pap results came back normal and he also tested for HPV and that came back negative. But I am still having this nagging pain in my right pelvic region, sometimes I have a lot of gas too. The pain is intermittent and it is not excruciating, it's just annoying and uncomfortable. It feels similar to menstrual cramps or ovulation pain. I was experiencing back pain but that is not bothering me as much anymore.

I have been trying not to worry but my mind keeps thinking what if I have something seriously wrong like cancer. Does this just sound like another ovarian cyst?

Last edited by blueeyz; 03-09-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Right Side Pelvic Pain for Over a Month

Hi blueeyz,

Ovarian cancer does not usually show itself like you are describing. The most commonly described symptom of OvC is persistent bloating. Bowel irregularities are also a common symptom of this disease (constipation / diarrhea) as is an inability to keep food down and a severe reduction of appetite.

You either have another ovarian cyst (which the ultrasound will show) or some other problem. If you have had back pain before, it is quite possibly related to this. Those muscles extend around your hip and they may be causing you this discomfort. It is difficult to tell without having a physician actually give you a full physical. If your ultrasound comes back normal, you should consider this. I have left hip pain and I had thought that my large cyst was causing this. However, it turned out not to be the case as the pain persisted after I had my ovary and tube removed due to the cyst.

I would not be too worried. You are getting it checked out and this is the most important thing. If the ultrasound is clear, see if it could be due to something more muscular or joint related. In my case, regular stretches keep it in check although the pain still pops up from time to time. Since loosing about 70 lbs though, I rarely feel it.

Take care and all the best for your ultrasound.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
(female)

blueeyz HB User

Thanks for your respsonse Estria. I do feel a bit bloated but I know cysts can cause that too. However, I do not have bowel irregularities or loss of appetiite or inability to keep food down. Just the nagging pain. Ugh. Looking forward to getting some resolution on this.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Blue,

I have struggled with the same lower right pelvic pain for years, and finally got a diagnosis a few weeks ago...Endometriosis. I had every test there was, and finally it got so bad I was hospitalized with the pain..I am 49, and know I have been having this pain for at least 9 years. It would come and go, almost like contractions. I was shocked that I went through so much to figure this out. Ask your doctor about this possibility.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
(female)

blueeyz HB User

My mother was diagnosed with endometriosis. Isn't that diagnosed through a pelvic exam? My OBGYN said my pelvic exam was perfect- no abnormalities.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I must have had 10 pelvic exams...nothing! Ultasounds, paps, MRI's cat scans, transvaginal ultrasounds, xrays... time and time again. it has been baffling. Finally after being on narcotic pain medication for three weeks, I was diagnosed.

Even after directly asking about it, nothing, and that was in the hospital. Instead they diagnosed me with pancreatitis,(not even close), IBS, and my favorite, diverticulitis. I even had a scar and previous surgery where my ovary was removed after an ectopic pregnancy! I know it sounds weird, but that's what happened.

Mine was real low, just where that ovary used to be.

Last edited by writeleft; 03-10-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
(female)

blueeyz HB User

wow, that's terrible. Does not really surprise me though. The incompetence of doctors in obtaining a correct diagnosis is a bit scary.

My pain is very low too, right in the area where the ovary is. I wish I just had it removed when I was 22. I had the option but I wanted to keep it.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
(female)

mojo1234 HB User

The best way to diagnose endometriosis is to do a laparoscopy, this is a relatively quick procedure, you do required to be put under but if you have endo this is the best way to find it.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Thanks mojo, I wish I had known that, and I would have found someone to do one. While in the hospital, I found that the only thing they wanted to look at were my organs...not any female related issues. Is that common?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
(female)

blueeyz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1234 View Post
The best way to diagnose endometriosis is to do a laparoscopy, this is a relatively quick procedure, you do required to be put under but if you have endo this is the best way to find it.
I had an emergency laparoscopy when I was 22 for a ruptured cyst. However, I was never diagnosed with endometriosis but that was a long time ago.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
(female)

mojo1234 HB User

Sorry guys I accidentally posted the same thing twice and it won't let me delete.

Last edited by mojo1234; 03-13-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
(female)

mojo1234 HB User

Hi writeleft,

A lot of the symptoms of endo can mimmic ovarian cysts. But here they are, bowel pain, pelvic and ovary pain, bloating, vaginal pressure or pain, pelvic pressure, pain during sex or after and lower back pain, sometimes you can even have pain down your buttocks and legs.

You should keep a record of your symptoms, how bad they are (pain scale 1-10)and when they appear. The Gyn always asks me from 1-10 where would I put the pain. If they worse a week before, during and after your period it could be endo.

You can't see endo on an ultrasound. You have to do a laparoscopy. My GP told me for years I didn't have endo because we never saw anything on ultrasound and I was having pain outside of my period cycle. But I knew something was wrong. It finally got bad enough that I was in major pain all the time. I asked for a referrall to se a Gynecologist.

The Gyn told me I had extensive Endo and that I probably had for most of my life, no thanks to my family doctor.

So If your ultrasound comes back negative and your symptoms don't go away ask for a referral to a Gynecologist. He knows a lot about female issues than anybody else.

I hope this helps and don't give up until you have answers. Keep in mind that you are not alone and that lot's of women are going through the same thing you are and that you have to be proactive. Many doctors think that our problems are in our heads.
You know your body better than anybody else.

Good Luck and let us know how things go.

Last edited by mojo1234; 03-13-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

I don't want to hijack Blues thread, but I appreciate your info. I am under the care of a new gyno now, with an appointment with a second on Tuesday. I do have a concrete diagnosis of endo, and have had one form of treatment (The lupron shot, a temporary fix), and I have decided to go ahead with the hysterectomy. that is my other option.

One big reason I am going ahead with the hyst. is because I cannot have enodometriosis and home dailysis...I will be starting dialysis soon, so I am glad to have found all the information I have.

Last edited by writeleft; 03-13-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
(female)

mojo1234 HB User

Are they taking your ovaries too? Because endo will continue if you have ovaries.(I know)
If you are taking ovaries out, then you have to ask about the estrogen hormone replacement because that too can feed any remaining endo tissue. Good Luck

Old 03-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

I only have one ovary which I expect will have to go. I lost the other one due to a ruptured ectopic pregnancy almost 10 years ago.

It has been exactly one month since my last "attack", and sure enough, the pain is back like clockwork! I also am bleeding, which I thought the lupron shot would have taken care of..

So I am no better off this month than last it seems, even after the lupron. I was expecting three months free of pain. That was supposed to be the big advantage, that and the non-invasive nature of the treatment. I am a high risk patient for surgery, so I am in quite a bad spot.

What do you think of the bleeding and pain starting all over? I had the shot 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Closed Thread