It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

Mary Margaret C HB User
Excruiating right sided/flank pain

I am 58 Years old. Six years ago I had an open cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal), since then intermittently I get a excruiating pain which begins spontaneously either mid back radiating round flank and under right breast. The pain is so back when i inhale it stabs like a knife. It is so severe I am incapacitated. I don't appear to have temp or feel sick (usually) it runs a course of about three days sometimes longer but generally lessens as time goes on. I can't bear it much longer It is spoiling my life. It is very intense when it first strikes and feels like a massive spasm. It leaves a feeling like you have been kicked by a horse...What do you think it could be?

so....starts either right side radiates to shoulder
can start back but ends up under right breast
or can start in right flank. It is unbearable but diminishes as time goes on over three days.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Re: Excruiating right sided/flank pain

I had the same problem soon after my gall bladder was removed. It turned out that I had a stone and sludge in my bile ducts and it caused the same pain as a gall bladder attack. If that is the case, you will need a procedure called an ERCP which is like an endosocopy and they make a small snip to open your bile ducts so the junk can drain out. It also could be pancreatitis. I would not fool around waiting. If it continues, see your doctor or go to the ER.
Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
(female)

cjickenplucker HB User

sounds like possibley adheasions may have grown from original surgical site or perhaps plurasy. Time to see a Doctor I think.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
(female)

angelzgurl HB User

Aliba, hello. My name is Angelzgurl, and I have similar pains in my left and right flanks, around my ribs and straight to the zyphoid area of my chest, and sometimes the pain is so severe that it goes through my chest area (under breasts sometimes too), and right to my back! They come on sometimes suddenly, for no reason at all. Sometimes they come on slowly, like a charlie-horse, starting in one of my flanks. But the worst of them all is when I am just doing nothing really, when suddenly I take the next breath, and POW! I can't finish that next breath! The pain in my chest is so intense that I call them "heart attacks". I don't think that's what they really are...at least I pray that they are not! I honestly believe them to be some sort of panic, or anxiety attacks. Look into that possibility! Good luck!

Closed Thread