It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 03:57 AM   #1
(male)

overdosed HB User
What should I do about my doctor?

I am 23 years old and all through my life I have been in good health with the exception of me having an anxiety disorder; however, I took Klonopin for it and it helped. My doctor began giving me medications when I was 21 and by the time I was 23 (now) I was on 24 medication. He had me on 5 pain killers, 9 sedatives, 2 muscle relaxers, 3 migraines, 4 anxiety meds, and 4 bipolar meds.

I had to be put in the hospital over 15 times in the last 2 years because of accidental overdoses due to "polypharmacy"; however, the hospital I went to never said anything about my doctor giving me to much medications and that was why I kept stopping breathing, or my heart would stop, or I would get pneumonia. They did not tell me because the doctor worker for one of their family doctor offices as part of the hospital system and they did not want to get in trouble themselves.

Well I moved out of town to a town about 45 mins from where I was living. I again stopped breathing but this time I was taken to another hospital. It was there they told me the mediciation I was taking is what was doing all this to me. I have gone off the medication and reported my doctor to the state Medical Board.

I have chronic pancreatitis, seizures, nausea, vomiting, loss of sensation on my right side, chronic fatigue, kidney disease, scarring from when I developed Steven-Johnsons Syndrome, NMS, and I also totalled my car by hitting a telephone pole head on while on these meds, all of which has been caused by the massive amounts of meds he had me on.

<deleted>

Below is a list of everything I was taking ALL at one time.

<Deleted>

1. Tramadol 50mg 4 times a day
2. Lortabs 10mg 5 times a day
3. Darvocet-N 100mg 4 times a day
4. Phenerghan 25mg 5 times a day
5. Remeron 15mg once a day
6. Prozac 10mg once a day
7. Seroquel 300mg once a day
8. Zyprexa 15 mg twice a day
9. Ativan 2mg 3 times a day
10. Klonopin 2mg 3 times a day
11. Xanax 2mg 3 times a day
12. Halcion .25mg 2 times a day
13. Famotidine 15mg once a day
14. Lasix 80mg once a day
15. Demadex 20mg once a day
16. Compazine 20mg once a day
17. Methylprednisolone once a day
18. Topamax 100 mg 2 times a day
19. Soma 350mg 2 times a day
20. Fioricet 2 times a day
21. Nexium 40mg once a day
22. Imitrex once when needed
23. Amrix once daily
24. Celebrex twice daily as needed

Last edited by Administrator; 07-21-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: This is a legal matter you already reported. Do not discuss those details here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: What should I do about my doctor?

fergusonj

It is a wonder that you are still living, why at 23 years old do you have all these aligments? chronic pancreatitis, seizures, nausea, vomiting, loss of sensation on my right side, chronic fatigue, kidney disease, scarring from when I developed Steven-Johnsons Syndrome, NMS. You must be seeing more than one doctor or is this one doctor a primary care doctor who prescribed all these medications?

I hate to say this but I really think that you need inpatient detoxification and a complete review of all of your past medical care. Alot of these medications are similiar in nature, so believe that you are heavily over medicated.

I am sure there are underlying reasons why you have been prescribed all these medications for which you will most likely need to find a mental health therapist to help you sort out all of your issues. However, you need to have a clearer head to begin to heal and not one that is heavily medicated on a daily basis.

Do you have a family that is supportive because if you received a call from this doctors office telling you of a potential criminal case being filed against you, then you need their support and their help to obtain some legal advice.

If not, than I suggest that you get a hold of a telephone book and look up some local free legal advice. Some firms will take your case on a contingency basis.

You have quite abit on your plate and you will need a lot of support.

Let me know how you do

Brenda

Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

So you were taking all of these meds at once everyday for 2 years? When did you stop and did you just stop suddenly? Maybe I'm reading this wrong or not understanding something? I honestly don't know how you are walking around unless the last time you went to the hospital they kept you for a while. Maybe you can clarify some of these things for us?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
(male)

overdosed HB User

Guys I am off all of the medications except the Klonopin because it stops me from having seizures. I detoxed myself by tappering off the medications. They were all written by my former family doctor who is a real big drug pusher obviously. I have been clean for months now and I do not have any temptation to dive into drugs again. I just wanted to know if anyone else had ever been in the situation I am in with a doctor who over-prescribed. I know I was not thinking clearly or I never would of continued to take all those meds for 2 or 3 years on a daily basis.

I am in NA and attend meetings there. I have a good support system with my family.

<removed>

I was hospitalized 15 times in 2 years because of prescription drug overdoses. I was taking the meds as directed by the dosages were so high it became toxic to my system. That is why I have a lot of problems with my body now is because the damage has been done. I have a new doctor now who is trying to fix what he can fix and has said I may need surgery to correct some damage and maybe then there will be hope of my body returning more to normal. I am just scared and looking for support online too and to educate people on what doctors can do to you.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-21-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User

Just curious about what your pharmacist said about your "shopping-list" of drug orders? Also, how could you afford even half of what you were taking? I know first hand, that even with insurance, you still have to pay at least $10-20 for each prescription????

Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

So the only medical problem you had before starting all these meds was an anxiety disorder? And then you developed the other medical problems from all the meds you were taking? Why then were you prescribed all the other stuff in the first place? Please don't take offense to the questions - I am just trying to understand the situation a little better. In your first post you said you were in good health except for the anxiety disorder so it's very hard to understand why all the other meds. I'm glad to hear you are off of everything now except the Klonopin. You're very young so hopefully you will recover with time.

This must be very confusing for you - do you know for sure that you now have all these other things like bipolar, seizure disorder etc - or were they caused by the meds? Did the same doc diagnose all of them?

I'm happy to hear you have family to support you. Let us know how things are going.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

overdosed

I applaud your accomplishments. I am a little surprised that your new primary care has not reported this doctor to the boards. I guess they like every profession, they protect their own.

Good for you for reporting this doctor, hopefully he will be investigated and stopped from practicing poor medicine.

Brenda

Old 07-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
(male)

overdosed HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amygdala View Post
Just curious about what your pharmacist said about your "shopping-list" of drug orders? Also, how could you afford even half of what you were taking? I know first hand, that even with insurance, you still have to pay at least $10-20 for each prescription????
Amy, to let you know it was very expensive for me even with insurance. I was spening hundreds every month and I also had my other bills so like anyone with an addiction I found a way to get my medications. Sadly that way was the use of credit cards. I have almost maxed out ALL of my credit cards which is about 7 cards all together with a grand total of 50,000+ on them that I am trying to pay for. I have a few cards I did not max out but most I did to keep up with my habit for years.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
(male)

overdosed HB User

Thank you for all your positive feedback. I really appreciate it because I do need a good support system both offline and online. It helps to talk about it and to make others aware of the practices of some doctors so hopefully they do not fall victim.

What happened was I had anxiety for years after being molested as a child. So I was put on Klonopin for that anxiety by my doctor. I guess it was a few months later I fell and I broke my ankle so I was put on Hydrocodone and Tramadol. It is my belief that Tramadol caused me to have a seizure. My doctor said I had epilepsy and put me on a whole host of other drugs for seizures (Ativan, Klonopin, and some other seizure medications). He also said he thought my anxiety was caused by me being bipolar so he loaded me with anti-depressants and bipolar meds. I had to take the medication during the day so I would sleep a lot so at night I could not sleep. He said it was from anxiety so he put me on sleeping meds and sedatives.

I was throwing up so much that he put me nausea meds. Then he put me on the seizure drug Lamictal which caused me to develop Steven-Johnsons Syndrome and for those of yout not familiar with this disease

Needless to say I was in tons of pain and I stayed in pain long after I developed SJS. My kidneys failed and have been scarred by the SJS so he put me tons of pain meds to "manage my pain". He had me on such a high level of Darvocet that it damaged my heart. So he did a lot more damage than he did good. I look back at what happened now and I can see clearly how everything fits together. I hope what I just explained does the same for all of you. I know I share blame for what has happened to my body but as I have said I was not the one with a prescription pad and the ability to say hey you need to take this medication for your own well being.

I hope all you will never have this problem with a doctor but if you do please remember me and how simple everything started for me only to turn into a big mess.

I do need to correct myself I still take the Klonopin and I also take Lasix because of my kidney problems that have not corrected themselves nor do they expect them to. My kidney doctor has said he wants to do surgery to try to correct the issue which makes me nervous but at the same time makes me feel more secure because he is not wanting to push drugs down my throat.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-22-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: if a word is blocked then it is not allowed

Old 07-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
(male)

overdosed HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shisslak View Post
overdosed

I applaud your accomplishments. I am a little surprised that your new primary care has not reported this doctor to the boards. I guess they like every profession, they protect their own.

Good for you for reporting this doctor, hopefully he will be investigated and stopped from practicing poor medicine.

Brenda
Brenda,

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. It was so hard to detox from these drugs and unlike these celebrities I do not have the money available to have actually gone to a detox center. I had to wing myself off of them and go through a lot of pain to be clean. I just hope that my life can return to somewhat of a normal one and that I have not screwed it up to bad. I was fired from 3 jobs because of my prescription drug abuse. I do not know if anything will happen to this doctor even though I have reported as I have heard nothing back from the medical board.I am going to call them today so I will update all of you of what they tell me.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
(male)

overdosed HB User

What I was hoping to do by telling my story to all of you is to help each you not to fall victim to prescription drug abuse, it can start out harmless and end up a huge mess. I also wanted to educate you on the long-term effects of what taking all these drugs do the body. Thank you to all who replied, I thank you deeply. When in recovery it helps to have support.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
(female)

looseknit HB User

Oh, overdosed, bless you, what a lot you've been through! At last you're getting sorted out and you are one brave lady. Your experiences should indeed be shared with others. Doctors are glorified in the media and so people tend to do what the doctor recommends. Lorraine.

Closed Thread