It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
(male)

still life HB Userstill life HB User
Do I have a problem with my parathyroid?

Some background. I'm a 20-year-old male (so I'm not really in the usual demographic affected by this problem). I've had a few CMPs done with my GP and with doctors at school in the past few months because I've been having some problems with abdominal pain and upper-right quadrant pain. So far the only abnormality that's come back on these tests has been calcium, which has ranged from the upper limits of normal to slightly elevated (10.2-10.4). This slight elevation has been consistently noted. I recently saw another doctor who ordered another calcium test plus a PTH test because of this, and my PTH was 71.4 (ref. range 10-65). When I followed up with the doctor she though that it was probably nothing to worry about since both were only slightly outside the normal range.

I'm not so sure though. I've definitely been experiencing some of the symptoms listed for hyperparathyroidism, the abdominal pain being one of them. But I've also been fatigued and have noticed that my memory is quite terrible anymore. And my normal urine output has been, in my judgement, excessive. I can't really explain these symptoms as being caused by anything else. I even had an h. pylori test for the abdominal pain, which was negative. The doctor suggested depression as a cause, but aside from feeling generally apathetic I wouldn't say I'm depressed at all. The idea of possibly suffering bone loss and kidney stones doesn't sound appealing at all, though, so it does make a difference whether I really have this or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread