It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

pepperderr HB User
can low D cause hyperparathyroid symptoms?

My 10yo son has for the last few months has excessive urination. He pees quite often and a large amount when he does go. He seems to have a bit more thirst than usual. His eyesight went from 20/50 to 20/200 in just a few months. I was concerned it was diabetes. He was tested today and they said no sugar in the urine so probably not diabetes. They said they could do a kidney function test so I said go for it because he just pees so much. He did several tests along with it. I told him that my other son has very low vitamin D so maybe he should be checked for that too so that is being checked also.

When I just checked online his ionized calcium is in the high range only by a little bit. His result is 1.39 it says normal is 1.13 - 1.32 The other test results don't show up online yet so I don't know if it will show low vitamin D in him too or not.

I have read that high calcium in blood can be hyperparathyroidism caused by a tumor. I am afraid that since his level is just a little high his doc might says it is nothing to worry about even though he has these other symptoms. He was having stomach pain last night for no apparent reason. No flu or anything else. Not sure what that was from. I also want to know is it possible that the high calcium is ONLY from low D and not from a tumor so all he would need to do is take extra vitamin D? Without knowing for sure what the vitamin D level is yet, weather it is normal or low, it is hard to say. I want to know what to do IF the doc calls me back and says it is all normal. Do I let it go?

The tests are
BASIC METAB PANEL, BMP
CBC/DIFF
CULTURE QUANT URINE
25-HYDROXY VITAMIN D
CALCIUM, IONIZED

I am sure the results will show up tomorrow but as I said I want to know what to do if he says everything else is normal or it is from low D. Thanks.

Another thing I just thought of was that he has this what looks like a lump right under his left ribcage. It is only noticable once in a while and it doesn't bother him. It would not be related to the parathyroid problem any would it?
pepperderr

Last edited by pepperderr; 01-17-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread