It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

littlebird0505 HB User
elevated PTH, normal calcium -- need answers

I am 30yo female who gave birth to my first child May 5 of 2010.

During my pregnancy, I had over 14 calcium phosphate kidney stones. Before I was pregnant, I had an average of one kidney stone every couple of years since I was 21 yo.

Other symptoms I've had for as long (if not longer) are:
severe dry skin (since adolescence)
chronic fatigue
severe attention problems
memory problems (this has gotten dramatically worse in the past few years)
depression, irritability
migraines
postural tachycardia syndrome
PVCs

My urologist just decided to test my PTH levels and they came back at 93. My calcium was tested throughout my pregnancy pretty regularly and was always steady at 9.2...normal. He said (before he got the test results) he was certain I either had hyperparathyroidism or renal tubular acidosis.

I'm on a wait list to see an endocrinologist in may but feel anxious to deal with this after all I've read.

My question is what else could cause elevated PTH but normal calcium or is this most likely a parathyroid tumor?

Also, from what I read on Dr. Norman's site, most babies don't survive pregnancy of patients with hyperparathyroidism but my baby couldn't have been healthier. So, that seems really weird to me.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm just terrified I"m going to go to the endocrinologist and they are going to tell me I'm normal or the diagnosis is going to be a nightmare. Having had a long history of vague health problems, I'm sick of this!

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread