It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
(female)

ThirstyMagnolia HB User
Need parathyroid surgeon in Texas

I've been dx with HPT and am trying to find an experienced parathyroid surgeon in Texas. I've found Dr. Norman's site in Tampa, but don't want to travel that far.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
(female)

Dixzeland HB User
Re: Need parathyroid surgeon in Texas

Hi there. I would recommend Dr. Shelby Holt from UT Southwestern in Dallas. She just did my surgery Friday Sept. 9th. She is excellent! My scans never revealed a tumor. So when she opened my neck up, there weren't any tumors, but I had 3 1/2 of the 4 parathyroid glands removed because they were overactive. I am home now recovering. She is top notch in Dallas! Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
(female)

ThirstyMagnolia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixzeland View Post
Hi there. I would recommend Dr. Shelby Holt from UT Southwestern in Dallas. She just did my surgery Friday Sept. 9th. She is excellent! My scans never revealed a tumor. So when she opened my neck up, there weren't any tumors, but I had 3 1/2 of the 4 parathyroid glands removed because they were overactive. I am home now recovering. She is top notch in Dallas! Good luck to you.
Thank you! I actually have an appointment to see Dr. Holt and have another ultrasound done. Do you mind if I ask you why she removed 3.5 of your parathyroids? How could she tell in the operation that each one was overactive? Before the surgery did she tell you she had to explore? Are you having any problems now regulating your calcium? Did you have any damage to your voice? Sorry so many questions! I appreciate hearing from your experience.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
(female)

Dixzeland HB User

I love sharing my story if it helps others! Because the 4 scan didn't reveal a tumor, Dr. Holt did tell me that it would be an exploratory surgery and that I would have to stay at least one night in the hospital because of it. After they had me under anesthesia, they were able to insert a catheter in my foot to draw blood. Each time she removed a gland, they would draw blood to see what the parathyroid level was. Each time it was still high until she got to the 4th one. She only took 1/2 because my levels dropped to normal. Otherwise she would have to implant the 4th one into my arm. Not real clear on why I didn't ask, but glad she didn't have too. I noticed later that day after surgery my fingers and face felt tingling. They took my blood and my ionized calcium was below normal. So I have to take calcium 3x day. So far it has worked for me. As far as my voice, they have to insert a breathing tube. My throat was very sore for the first two days, but they will give you something for it. So no damage at all. I still have trouble regulating my blood pressure, it kinda goes wild, but I'm hoping it will settle down as I still am recovering at this time. Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you. Good Luck, you will love Dr. Holt. She is very soft spoken but a wonderful doctor!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
(female)

shemekia76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixzeland View Post
UT is great had surgery there in July Dr. Bruce Mickey is awesome

Closed Thread