It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
(male)

poleary2000 HB User
Testosterone Low

Hi there. First time poster. I found the site tonight through some internet searches.

34 y/o male. Pretty average in most ways. I weigh about 240, but am 6'1" and have a pretty large frame. So, I'm heavy but not as out of shape as you may thing. I've been experiencing extreme tiredness and dizziness for a few years now. Blood tests never turned up anything odd. I went to a new doctor and she tested for numerous things. Upon initial testing, the following was found:

Iron saturation = 10 (L)
Vitamin D = (can't find the number, but it was low)
Testosterone = 190 (L)

The asked me to take an iron supplement with a multi-vitamin, a high dose Vitamin D Rx and wanted to retest the testosterone.

After retest of testosterone and a new test for FSH, LH the values were:

Testosterone = 160 (L)
FSH = 4.5
LH = 4.5

I just got the results tonight and will schedule a follow up + appointment with endocrinologist. However, I was curious if anyone has seen tests like this and what they might mean. Is it uncommon to have low T and normal FSH, LH?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
(male)

LPeterP HB User
Re: Testosterone Low

I just posted some results with similar numbers and look forward to hearing what you find out or any treatments you try, I'll post what I experience as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
(male)

poleary2000 HB User

I've got an appointment on 10/18. It takes really long to get an appointment with an ENDO in Pittsburgh, so I was even lucky to get one so soon. There is a dr. I really wanted to see (Dr. Rao), but his secretary told me he is backed up for 9 months because athletes from all over the country are coming to Pittsburgh to see him. But, I did get someone that is in his practice. Wish me luck.

One thing that is disappointing was my PCP. He called me in an Rx for gel without talking to me, reviewing risks, etc. Acted like it was no big deal and I should just start taking it.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
(male)

poleary2000 HB User

I ended up seeing an Endo and had further tests. My testosterone, while low previously, barely made it above the low range this time but my SHGB was very low. I got a note from the doctor saying to lose weight -- and that's it.

Does low SHGB lead to low T?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
(male)

genuineimpulse HB User

are your parents tall? Little facial hair?

I am not an expert but with FSH number it sounds simmiliar to my experience and I was diagnosed as klienfelders syndrom (xxy). I found gel and patch to be poor delivery methods and have gotten better results doing testosterone injections weekly.

No one thought tests were going to come back postive...there was depression and low energy, but my doctor was shocked until he saw the chromosonal test results.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
(male)

poleary2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuineimpulse View Post
are your parents tall? Little facial hair?

I am not an expert but with FSH number it sounds simmiliar to my experience and I was diagnosed as klienfelders syndrom (xxy). I found gel and patch to be poor delivery methods and have gotten better results doing testosterone injections weekly.

No one thought tests were going to come back postive...there was depression and low energy, but my doctor was shocked until he saw the chromosonal test results.
Hi there, sorry for the late response. My Dad is 6'3 and my Mom is 5'1. Dad has lots of facial hair.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
(male)

ihavelowt HB User

First time post for me, i'm 35 y/o male with low t myself. First test was 100 points, second was 72. Been on gel for a year now and it helps.

Personally I have done a ton of research on the field of Endocrinology mainly in the past year since my health is at risk.

The scary truth, doctors, mainly Endocrinologists know very little about low testosterone. The good thing is that it is getting more attention as they see there is lots of money to be made, after all it's a business.

From Harvard medical professors to my own Endo, they are very limited to facts and often make statements based on theory. Hopefully with a few years they will have more figured out, we hope that is.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
(male)

poleary2000 HB User
Re: Testosterone Low Update

As I mentioned, I went to an endo. He told me there was no problem. That my test being 130 was good for me since my SHBG was only 10. My symptoms continued.

I went to see Dr. Shippen in November. He started me on clomiphene with estrogen blocker. My T has climbed steadily each month. I went from 130 to 250 to 380 to 620 to 850. I feel like I felt my best at 620'ish. However, the change has been amazing.

Reply Reply