It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

cmjones311 HB User
low cortisol

For many years, I have experience a plethora of health issues, beginning with extreme fatigue and intolerance to cold. I've recently learned that my mother has hypothyroidism, but my recent blood tests show that I do not--all numbers are within range.

However, the blood tests show that my cortisol was low, 6.4 ug/dL on a scale of 7.8-19.8. An ACTH stimulation test was done, and both cortisol and ACTH rose, so I do not have Addison's.

The only other results out of normal range were my B12 levels, so my endo has suggested I take B12 pills, but has completely glossed over the fact that I STILL had low cortisol levels when tested originally.

Finding out that low cortisol causes extreme fatigue and intolerance to cold (which were my main complaints when I went to the appointment), makes me wonder why in the world she apparently isn't concerned about my cortisol and given me a prescription for something to raise it.

Am I making too big of a deal of this, or should I really be on medication for my low cortisol?

Old 06-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: low cortisol

I have low cortisol, too, but waiting for test results to come back so I don't have any answers. Other than my primary doctor believes that low cortisol needs to be treated and not left alone. She sent me to an endocrinologist, so I'm waiting to see what he has to say about the test results.

I also have intolerance to cold -- and to heat, but I'm usually freezing. And I'm extremely fatigued. Also suffering from mono, but my doctor thinks the low cortisol may be adding to all my fatique.

Have you gotten any more information since you posted?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply