It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
(female)

49kathy HB User
Having parathyroid surgery next week...question

on post surgery. Will be having general anethesia and day surgery. Given that all goes as planned what should I expect for recovery and rest of the day. The surgery is not in my home town and will be alone...need to go to the hotel and see the surgeon the next morning. I am thinking I will be okay but would like others reports after the surgery. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

xbadfishx HB Userxbadfishx HB Userxbadfishx HB User
Re: Having parathyroid surgery next week...question

well you will be very tired and most likely sleep a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
(female)

Dianescat HB User

Guess your surgery is over by now, hope it went well. I had Parathyroid surgery last July, and stayed overnight in the hospital, and had to have someone drive me the next day after general anaesthesia. They found two enlarged nodes and took them both out.

the site was puffy for a long time. Now it has gone down but the scar is still red.(Doc said it would be less noticeable if I was heavier...)

No problems. I had hoped the surgery would decrease my frequent urination... but not so much.
Long term it should improve pain in joints and bone mass

Old 12-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
(female)

49kathy HB User
Surgery over...advice to prospective patients....

well my daughter ended up going with me and that was the best move we could have made. After the surgery she wheeled me to the hotel room and the rest of the day/night was miserable. Sick from general anathesia , pain at incision site and felt like the worse sore throat imaginable. This was considered minimally invasive and done by an expert at Mayo Clinic. It was considered a success. I would caution anyone having this surgery not to take the information on the famous Dr. Norman's site as factual or what most people experience. Dr. Norman's site makes it seems so easy...not that easy!! Now I have low calcium and hungry bone syndrome since the parathyroids are taking their time to wake up and the bones are grabbing all the calcium they have been deprived of. It will take some time to get back to normal. I'm sure long term this was a good decision but a bit more recovery than I was expecting.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
(female)

Dianescat HB User

Yes I had forgotten about the sore throat, hurt to swallow. I have asthma and I felt like I was wheezing and my throat was closing up but it hurt to cough. That part went away in a week or two.

My two remaining parathyroids did kick in right away. Are you taking calcium supplements? I've read it may be necessary if they don't wake up.

Last edited by Dianescat; 12-04-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
(female)

49kathy HB User

Yes...I am probably not taking as much as they recommend but they said tums at first and regular supplement too. I will increase those but honestly the tums and other stuff makes my stomach sick. Really hoping everything kicks in this week. Going for bloodwork today so hopefully it is not too low. Good to hear from people that have had this...most people I know don't know what I'm talking about!

Closed Thread